Solo supplement

bones774

Hi,

Never sailed VV but would sure like to try. I'm ready to go within hours of embarkation on any cruise. Has anybody seen any type of last minute solo supplement discounts?

Thanks

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bones774 said:

Hi,

Never sailed VV but would sure like to try. I'm ready to go within hours of embarkation on any cruise. Has anybody seen any type of last minute solo supplement discounts?

Thanks

I think your best bet for a deal is booking a solo insider cabin that has opened up because others have gotten an upgrade the week of departure. 

1 hour ago, rebeccac said:

In general, last minute deals on VV (no matter what the cabin or how many people) are extremely rare.  

That's what it looks like, just checking around. Thanks

• Like 1

About 2 years ago they ran a "no single supplement" sale.  On our first cruise, there were many solos in Sea Terrace cabins.  Normally, no. As someone said, your best bet is likely to book a solo insider and then hope for a bid upgrade or the ability to purchase an upgrade at the terminal.  Upgrades are available at the terminal when cabins are available.  That is nice because you know what cabin you are going into rather than just knowing a category

18 hours ago, bones774 said:

About 2 years ago they ran a "no single supplement" sale.

Hopefully they will do it again. Got it on my radar now.

I have heard on some livestreams that they will never do a single supplement sale again.  Of course, I also heard they would never sail to Alaska and that turned out not to be true (apparently due to overwhelming sailor demand in a survey).  

1 hour ago, rebeccac said:

I have heard on some livestreams that they will never do a single supplement sale again.  Of course, I also heard they would never sail to Alaska and that turned out not to be true (apparently due to overwhelming sailor demand in a survey).  

You can find almost any info or mis-information you want on the internet.  I'm sure they offered the "no single supplement" because the ships were not full.  Even with the sail, there were only 1400 passengers on the cruise I was on where that sale was applicable and there were a lot of solos.  Bottom line, a cabin with one person is better than an empty cabin.  As the ships are filling more, it is less likely that it will be offered again.  But never say never.  The ultimate goal is to maximize revenue on each sailing.  I'm sure they are strategically looking at each sailing and offering to see what is best--bids for upgrades, "kids free," second passenger discounts, no single supplement, etc.  It may be that it is cost effective to offer "no single supplement"  for "last minute" bookings  on certain sailings only; maybe open that option 60-85 days in advance of sailing.

For now, the best deal I can find for a solo is to book a solo cabin and then attempt to upgrade.  Or invite a friend to cruise with you (I understand this isn't always possible or desirable.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cantgetin said:

You can find almost any info or mis-information you want on the internet.  I'm sure they offered the "no single supplement" because the ships were not full.  Even with the sail, there were only 1400 passengers on the cruise I was on where that sale was applicable and there were a lot of solos.  Bottom line, a cabin with one person is better than an empty cabin.  As the ships are filling more, it is less likely that it will be offered again.  But never say never.  The ultimate goal is to maximize revenue on each sailing.  I'm sure they are strategically looking at each sailing and offering to see what is best--bids for upgrades, "kids free," second passenger discounts, no single supplement, etc.  It may be that it is cost effective to offer "no single supplement"  for "last minute" bookings  on certain sailings only; maybe open that option 60-85 days in advance of sailing.

For now, the best deal I can find for a solo is to book a solo cabin and then attempt to upgrade.  Or invite a friend to cruise with you (I understand this isn't always possible or desirable.)

Well written and comprehensive info. Thanks

• Like 2

When I use to cruise NCL all the time I would repeatedly complain to them that not everyone that travels solo wants an interior or oceanview. I like a balcony and if possible a suite. They recently came out with Solo Balconies and granted, not a true "no solo supplement", it is cheaper then to book a regular balcony and the sizes aren't that far apart.

So cruise lines do listen - although it may seem at a snail's pace. Many say they need the extra to make up for the lost revenue from the second person for drinks, excursions, etc. Virgin is the new kid on the block so they are finding their way and seeing what works. If folks offer options then maybe they will look at changing things, much like NCL now having Solo Balconies.

Posted (edited)

I’ve just booked 2 solo sea terrace cabins with Iglu for the Athens to Barcelona cruise on 20th October. Paid £1719 per person to include flights from Heathrow, 2nights B&B pre-cruise in Athens and all private transfers. Happy with the price we paid and looking forward to trying Virgin.

Edited by truesdpr
Update
  • Like 1