Join the waitlist for the Virgin Red Rewards Mastercard (US Residents only)

Eric&Pam

8 minutes ago, Eric&Pam said:

I was hoping for it to not have the currency exchange fee. My main credit card has an amazing interest rate and no annual fee but the exchange fee is a real pain. Guess we'll see what all comes with this when it rolls out.

• Like 1

I couldn't really see the perks (if any).  I could see where I can earn points and some ways I can spend them.  Mu current "travel" card has no exchange fee, so this would need to be very good for me to switch.

11 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

I couldn't really see the perks (if any). 

Up to $300 Bar Tab Credit: Cardholders can enjoy a Bar Tab credit to use on board for any drink. Note: The Bar Tab perk is likely based on voyage length but is not known at this time.

Blue Extras Perk Package: This package includes added conveniences like laundry, an exclusive cocktail party, and daily coffee. (If you already have DBE, this doesn't mean much)

Virgin Atlantic: Choose a Flying Club reward voucher for a companion seat or a cabin upgrade.

Virgin Hotels: Enjoy a complimentary night stay or a suite upgrade at participating Virgin Hotels.

You can pick between all of the Virgin reward perks up to twice yearly providing you hit the minimum spend so you could mix and match the Bar Tab with a complimentary Hotel stay.

Points on Purchases: Earn 3 Virgin Points per $1 spent with Virgin brands, 2 points per $1 on dining and groceries, and 1 point per $1 on other purchases.

Annual Fee: The card has a $99 annual fee, with perks that can more than make up for the cost.

Anniversary Bonus: Receive 5,000 Virgin Points each year upon renewal.

New cardholders who spend $3,000 within the first 90 days will also receive a limited-time bonus of 40,000 Virgin Points, enough for two round-trip flights.

Posted (edited)

It is going to be interesting to see how these points translate in real life.  There were TA cruises listed as available on points ranging from 280K to 320K points.  Those same cruises for 2 in a Sea Terrace are $3600 - $4500. Various activities were available for 20K-30K points. And yet they say here that 40K points can get me 2 round trip flights.   This looks like about a 10 fold "disconnect" to me.  Of course, I'm thinking US to Europe flights, while they may be talking about 2 flights from London to Barcelona.  It all looks very interesting, and I'm guessing that more info will be forthcoming.

We currently have DBE, originally by status match but later qualified thru number of cruises.  Obviously no one knows how long that program will last, but if they remove our status, we will be seriously unhappy cruisers.

Edited by cantgetin