Capri Excursion Advice Please.

Volterra24

Hello,  Need some guidance from this group. You all seem to know a lot about cruising and specifically Oceania.

We are booked on the Oceania Vista leaving out of Monaco on August 24.  My husband selected this specific cruise for various reasons and also because it fit into the schedule of our three young adult sons and daughter in law. I agreed even though I have been to almost all of the ports/cities at some point(some multiple times) in my life.

I am in charge of booking the excursions so I booked the Oceania Pompeii excursion for all of us feeling it is an important site to see and learn about. At that point in time I was thinking I would book us on all the same tours but I have rethought that.  After booking Pompeii I decided that I deserve to see things I have not seen before and I don't think we will pass this way again so I decided that my husband and I would go to Capri instead of Pompeii.  The kids (still kids to me) can to go Pompeii. Everyone agreed. However I then discovered the two Capri tours are booked and we are wait listed on one of them.   

Several Questions:

1. What is the likelihood of the wait list opening up? 

2. Does Oceania make more spots available at some point maybe after the cruise starts so there is still ann opportunity to sign up for the  Capri tour?

3. If the cruise tour cannot accommodate us we can book a private tour or take the ferry over and back. I really prefer not to book a private boat tour. Don't really feel I need a whole day private for the two of us.  Also most tours cannot guarantee me we will get back in time for our boat departure unless I book the private boat. 

-We could also book a ticket now for a ferry to Capri and back and maybe find a grotto or water tour at some point if we feel like it.

I know from family and friends that the return ferry will be a nightmare as hoards of visitors attempt to get off of Capri at the same time. I have even been told if I take the ferry to get in line around 1 pm as it is a madhouse.  But that might be for people without advance tickets???

Do any of you have personal experience with the ferry system? If I book advance tickets on the ferry am I guaranteed to get on the ferry?

-Or if any of you are interested in booking a private boat for 5-10 people let me know.

Any and all advice appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Volterra24 said:

I know from family and friends that the return ferry will be a nightmare as hoards of visitors attempt to get off of Capri at the same time.

I would not take a private tour to Capri (from a ship) for reasons you already identified.

I've been there twice, once on a private tour (not from a ship) and the ferries were fine. The other time was from an Oceania sister ship, so probably the same tour venders. It was a madhouse at the end, taking a small funicular to Capri harbor ...

funiculartocapriharbor.thumb.jpg.1f9890bb44967af9ba9fb88591abec14.jpg

... and I remember that one gentleman from the ship was frantic because he got separated from his wife. (It all ended okay though - he found someone he liked better.) I believe that everyone made it back to the ship on time.

Maybe skip the Blue Grotto, unless it's a bucket list item for you as it takes a lot of time. This is from the non ship tour.

bluegrottoincapri.thumb.jpg.37ed3d592fd767f43c2ad47eb6a65ebe.jpg

Definitely go up to the top of the island - Anacapri - maybe have lunch there. On the ship tour, we had lunch at Hotel Quisiana, which is at the bottom and just okay. I remember seeing some quaint restaurants in Anacapri, though.

Explore around up at the top and make sure you see the Faraglioni Rocks!

faraglionirockscapri.thumb.jpg.e080204e84b49cb2247c5efd461babb0.jpg

• Like 1

Definitely agree about getting to Anacapri. But a word of warning. I went by ferry in mid-September last year. The ferry was the easy part but I seemed to spend most of the day in queus first for tickets and then to get on the funicular, the bus to Anacapri and then the cable way to the top (an absolute must). So if there is anyway to get the tickets you need in advance that will save time. I took the ferry back to Naples at about 3.00pm if I remember correctly and the whole day was a bit of an anxious rush. It was mad mad busy. I imagine it will be even worse in August. If you cannot get organised with something suitable in advance it might warrant doing something else.

• Like 1

@Volterra24 we are on the same cruise as you - 2 weeks tomorrow 😁. I also thought about going over to Capri independently but having read how stressful it can be decided against it. It's not only it being busy but if by any chance there is a storm and ferries are cancelled, there is no alternative way of getting back to the ship.

We are lucky though as we live in the UK. I haven't been to Sorrento since I was a young teen so the plan is to mooch around, see if it is as nice as I remember then book a short break when it is cooler and less busy.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I neglected to mention that on our ship's tour, they took care of both the taxi ride up to Anacapri, and the chairlift up to the top.

Then today, I was on my treadmill with an iFit trainer and we walked on a trail up to the top! So I suppose that is doable in real life too.

Edited by Topo Gigio and Me

@Volterra24 I also thought about going over to Capri independently but having read how stressful it can be decided against it. It's not only it being busy but if by any chance there is a storm and ferries are cancelled, there is no alternative way of getting back to the ship.

If the ferries are canceled due to inclement weather, how do cruise ship excursion passengers return to the ship. They all share the same ferries. Correct?