Wheelchair assistance

Hi. We are thinking of booking May 2025 cruise in the next day or so. I have late stage Emphysema and  will be hiring a wheelchair from mobility at sea to use whilst onboard which will be delivered to my cabin. I therefore do not need an adapted cabin. I will however need assistance to embark and disembark at Southampton. I know I have to complete the dreaded accessibility form but can I just book assistance on and off the ship as my husband can push me once onboard 

Yes, you can.

However, even if you do not need an adapted cabin, you will require an Evac Chair under P&Os interpretation of the new rules.

I would check with the agent that ones is available before booking as it’s a first come first allocated policy.

13 minutes ago, cruisingiscool said:

Thankyou for your advice molecrochip. I will check. Can my TA  do this or do I need to do it myself?

Your TA should check that an evacuation chair is available before they accept your booking, but it depends how experienced the agent is, as to whether they will.

I was in a similar situation to you Cruisingiscool 4 weeks ago for our Ventura cruise. I booked a wheelchair from Mobility at Sea and their service was excellent. The wheelchair was waiting in our cabin. It was clean, well maintained and had a separate, large bag that fitted on the back of the chair. I didn’t realise that the bag was included and it was a real bonus.

I had previously contacted P&O and filled in the form.

I requested wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation.

When we arrived at the terminal, I was asked if I had pre-booked assistance and was directed through a separate entrance to a special desk where our documents were checked.

I was then allocated a delightful young man who pushed me through the security checks, up the gangway and onto the ship and then to our muster station to register. He would have pushed me to our cabin but I was able to walk from the muster station.

The day before we disembarked, I confirmed my need for assistance with Guest Services.

All passengers requiring assistance were allocated a specific lounge for disembarkation morning.

When I got to the lounge, I registered with the crew member who wrote my name on the list and checked whether I was going home by coach, car or taxi.

All coach passengers were assisted first followed by people from the list in the order in which we had registered.

My charming assistant pushed me all the way from the ship to our car in the CPS car park.

The service was excellent both before and after the cruise.

I also can’t fault the service given by the crew members who helped get me (in the chair) on and off the ship at our ports.

I hope this helps and I hope the system works as well for you as it did for me.

• Like 5

Well that was a job and a half! As I wrote before  before we were thinking of booking May 2025 cruise but was concerned re medical assistance. My lovely TA and I had a phone call of almost 90 minutes trying to find a cruise around that date with an available evacuation chair and appropriate cabin for a mobility at sea wheelchair. We eventually ended up with an Arvia cruise at the end of September 2025. Several weeks later than we wanted but the compromise was necessary to get anything at all.  He also tried to complete online medical assistance form for me but had to give up as I have not booked my wheelchair yet so have no idea of the dimensions etc which need to be entered onto form. I have that task to complete another day. Lucky me. Thank you for help and advice on here. I'm sure it'll be worth it in The end. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, cruisingiscool said:

Well that was a job and a half! As I wrote before  before we were thinking of booking May 2025 cruise but was concerned re medical assistance. My lovely TA and I had a phone call of almost 90 minutes trying to find a cruise around that date with an available evacuation chair and appropriate cabin for a mobility at sea wheelchair. We eventually ended up with an Arvia cruise at the end of September 2025. Several weeks later than we wanted but the compromise was necessary to get anything at all.  He also tried to complete online medical assistance form for me but had to give up as I have not booked my wheelchair yet so have no idea of the dimensions etc which need to be entered onto form. I have that task to complete another day. Lucky me. Thank you for help and advice on here. I'm sure it'll be worth it in The end. 

I wouldn't worry about giving wheelchair dimensions just quote sizes from the Mobility at Sea site and make sure they fit through your Cabin door before you send off. i always book a Mobility Scooter to use onboard and though i had to book for 2026 to get a choice of Mobility Cabins they've already asked me for dimensions.P.S I had the same problem trying to change my 2025 trip ended up Cabin Available No Chair and visa versa ended up changing from June to March. Enjoy.

All coach passengers were assisted first followed by people from the list in the order in which we had registered.

Not if you know someone there from times before and need t be off first to catch a flight. 😇

This was my experience when we disembarked from Ventura on August 3rd so that is what I reported.

I’m sure that, should you need to disembark at a certain time for a particular reason, the crew members will accommodate your request especially if you inform Guest Services the day before.

Hate to tell you i did not inform Guest Services about anything the only time it was mentioned when the member of staff was talking to me during boarding and mentioned i would have to try self embark cause i had a flight to flight to catch then asked me what time i needed to be off by and said just come down to the Lounge i'll make sure your off for that time.

I spoke to Guest Services about my needs to confirm that my needs would be met without inconveniencing crew members with a last minute request. The services manager was very helpful and confirmed the details for me. It probably wasn’t necessary but it made me feel better.

• Like 1