Drinks Package Questions

napria

Has anyone who sailed recently with the drinks package had any trouble getting their favourite cocktails? It seems like Cunard is slowly but surely pricing everything out of what gets covered. The latest commodore club menu for example doesn't list a single martini under $14.50... I suppose you could order a double shot of gin with a splash of vermouth instead? 

1 hour ago, sucramdi said:

Has anyone who sailed recently with the drinks package had any trouble getting their favourite cocktails? It seems like Cunard is slowly but surely pricing everything out of what gets covered. The latest commodore club menu for example doesn't list a single martini under $14.50... I suppose you could order a double shot of gin with a splash of vermouth instead? 

I found most wait staff work with whatever package you have to make things work as best as possible. Tell them what you want and what package you have. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, sucramdi said:

I also noticed this. I am disappointed to see that a glass of the very acceptable Gusbourne British sparkling wine has now been priced above the limit on the Drinks Package. Such a shame, as I quite enjoyed it, and I am not a fan of prosecco.

Edited by maggielou362
typo
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, maggielou362 said:

I also noticed this. I am disappointed to see that a glass of the very acceptable Gusbourne British sparkling wine has now been priced above the limit on the Drinks Package. Such a shame, as I quite enjoyed it, and I am not a fan of prosecco.

In march on QE this was absolutely within the drinks package as my husband and I nearly drank their supply dry it was so good!!! 😉

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sucramdi said:

On QA in May there were only two cocktails in Commodore Club which fell in the package limit - I had the paid for one. Also most of the wine options in Carinthia and the Britannia restaurant were above the limit.  Apart from these venues most cocktails and drinks apart from the 4 Queens gin offerings were comfortably covered by the package. As someone who drinks lots of speciality teas and water in addition to the cocktails, gin and wine I broke more or less even once I added in the breakfast smoothies in the Wellness Centre.

Posted (edited)

I have just had a look online at the drinks menus in all the bars and since my last Cunard voyage in February this year many of the drinks on offer have crept up in price to be just above the limit. I like the idea of pre-paying for convenience and a sense of relaxation, but not if the range of drinks available is severely restricted. I would be willing to pay a bit more for a package with more inclusions. It's disappointing to see that many of the drinks we enjoyed on QM2 earlier this year are now priced out of range for the package. I understand that drinks, particularly alcohol, provide a huge chunk of their profits, but why have a package that is so restricted? Perhaps Cunard needs to reconsider whether they do in fact want to offer Drinks Packages at all. I know I can pay as I go, but I enjoy the psychological advantage of pre-paying, and the fact that if I try a new drink and I don't like it I don't feel obliged to finish it. I don't use the package to save money, so I am happy for Cunard to fleece me a little bit as long as I can have a decent selection of drinks and have fun trying them all.

Edited by maggielou362
add
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

If you have an American booking in Queen Grill is it somehow marked on your card?   Or do you have to tell them?

Probably they should but they don't. You must tell them. I do it with my first drinks order. The staff are amazing in the Grills.

On 8/13/2024 at 9:44 PM, NE John said:

Question please - do UK Cunard pax generally get a very healthy amount of OBC to help pay for drinks, internet, service charges? More OBC than North American pax, even though US Grills pax can a watered down drinks package and service charges picked up. 

We have quite a few cruises this winter that have a very good OBC. QV PG in the med $740 per week (3 weeks) and $1700 (+$250 shareholder) on QV PG FLL-SOU. QA a bit less generous. You can currently get $720-$1020 PG/QG on a TA.

10 minutes ago, Wonky said:

We have quite a few cruises this winter that have a very good OBC. QV PG in the med $740 per week (3 weeks) and $1700 (+$250 shareholder) on QV PG FLL-SOU. QA a bit less generous. You can currently get $720-$1020 PG/QG on a TA.

Thanks. Are these #’s per person or stateroom?  If pp, that’s impressive. 

6 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

I have just had a look online at the drinks menus in all the bars and since my last Cunard voyage in February this year many of the drinks on offer have crept up in price to be just above the limit. I like the idea of pre-paying for convenience and a sense of relaxation, but not if the range of drinks available is severely restricted. I would be willing to pay a bit more for a package with more inclusions. It's disappointing to see that many of the drinks we enjoyed on QM2 earlier this year are now priced out of range for the package. I understand that drinks, particularly alcohol, provide a huge chunk of their profits, but why have a package that is so restricted? Perhaps Cunard needs to reconsider whether they do in fact want to offer Drinks Packages at all. I know I can pay as I go, but I enjoy the psychological advantage of pre-paying, and the fact that if I try a new drink and I don't like it I don't feel obliged to finish it. I don't use the package to save money, so I am happy for Cunard to fleece me a little bit as long as I can have a decent selection of drinks and have fun trying them all.

One of the only features Cunard should take from Virgin Voyages is to offer a “Bar Tab” with discounts for how much you put on that bar tab. Add $300 to your tab and get $330 in spending.
Then lower US Grills fares and do the same for Grills pax.
Then you’re free to buy what drink you want, buy a round of drinks for newly found travel companions, or whatever you want. 
The current Drinks Packages state is a too confusing and complicated for pax and staff. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NE John said:

One of the only features Cunard should take from Virgin Voyages is to offer a “Bar Tab” with discounts for how much you put on that bar tab. Add $300 to your tab and get $330 in spending.
Then lower US Grills fares and do the same for Grills pax.
Then you’re free to buy what drink you want, buy a round of drinks for newly found travel companions, or whatever you want. 
The current Drinks Packages state is a too confusing and complicated for pax and staff. 

100% this👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

I would be willing to pay a bit more for a package with more inclusions. It's disappointing to see that many of the drinks we enjoyed on QM2 earlier this year are now priced out of range for the package.

Absolutely this. I'd be happy for them to up the package cost by $5/day if it meant the vast majority of drinks were covered again. It's only logical to adjust the package along with the drinks menu pricing. 

• Like 3

Part of the problem with wine by the glass prices is Cunard increasing the small glass size from 150ml to 175ml. Obviously they were not going to leave prices the same when they increased volume by close to 17%.

We were perfectly happy with 150ml. With the limit at 15 drinks per day that would equal 3 bottles of wine each. Even we're not that bad! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lot of good info in this thread as I “prepare” for 25 days aboard QE (in steerage 😱) next month. So far I’m staying with my decision to not purchase the drinks package. 

A couple of questions…

1. I read on the Cunard website where drinks over the $13.50 package limit are given a 20% discount. But since they are purchased outside the package, are they subject to added gratuity, in effect reducing the 20% reduction? 

2. I note the Wine Academy showcases Riedel glassware, which I love. Does Cunard use a lower quality of wine glass outside the Grills? I hate drinking wine out of a glass so thick you can throw it at a wall without breaking (yes, I’m a snob in that area!) 🍷

14 minutes ago, BEAV said:

A lot of good info in this thread as I “prepare” for 25 days aboard QE (in steerage 😱) next month. So far I’m staying with my decision to not purchase the drinks package. 

A couple of questions…

1. I read on the Cunard website where drinks over the $13.50 package limit are given a 20% discount. But since they are purchased outside the package, are they subject to added gratuity, in effect reducing the 20% reduction? 

2. I note the Wine Academy showcases Riedel glassware, which I love. Does Cunard use a lower quality of wine glass outside the Grills? I hate drinking wine out of a glass so thick you can throw it at a wall without breaking (yes, I’m a snob in that area!) 🍷

With package, as you know  up to $13.50 is included. Over $13.50, price on menu, plus 15%, minus 20%.

Without package, everything is price on menu plus 15%.

On QM2 in June 2022 the Armagnac glasses were Riedel Spiegelau. The wine glasses in Britannia may have been same range but I'm not certain. We were never conscious of them being chunky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BEAV said:

Here is a picture of the wine glasses being used on the QM2 as of 8 weeks ago. Hope this helps.

Jack

IMG_3279.thumb.JPG.45a09a78ed6545dd0d98d507deea1f12.JPG

• Thanks 1

This will be our first Cunard, so trying to decide on drink package.  We're on QM2 doing TA.  Other cruise lines we always do the package as it works best for us.  I'm not clear on the pricing...with the package, is the gratuity included with the full price?  Thanks!!

Just now, Tbird58 said:

This will be our first Cunard, so trying to decide on drink package.  We're on QM2 doing TA.  Other cruise lines we always do the package as it works best for us.  I'm not clear on the pricing...with the package, is the gratuity included with the full price?  Thanks!!

Correct, with the package anything $13.50 or less you will not be charged a gratuity or for the drink itself. Over $13.50 you pay full price for the drink, plus 15% gratuity, minus 20% discount. 

With no package, it's menu price plus 15% gratuity. 

• Like 1

Jack's photo looks very like what I remember.

The glasses in use two years ago had a distinctive pattern on the base.

The website states the material is Crystalline, and gives this blurb on the properties of their product:

"SPIEGELAU presents a contemporary collection of machine-made glasses with thin walls. These extremely elegant glasses are light as a feather, perfectly balanced in the hand and highlight the aromas and flavors of the wine. This product is machine-made. Due to the manufacturing process, small tolerances in measurements are possible.
This item is dishwasher-safe."

IMG_20240816_101700034_HDR.thumb.jpg.77adb969cf385e632c19c41f3e1ff15b.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 3:19 AM, Bell Boy said:

Ordering wine by the glass in the restaurant on a drinks package is often quite a hassle,

Bell Boy,

I believe you are boarding the QM2 today. Any observations on cocktails and martini prices under $13.50 would be greatly appreciated. The current Drinks Menu posted on the Cunard web site shows 14 cocktails under $13.50 but I don't have a very high degree of confidence that this is up to date. 

Thanks,

Jack

• Like 2

Just want to confirm that I understand this correctly…

Without a package we can purchase a bottle of wine each (red for him, white for me) at full price plus 15% at dinner the first night in the main dining room (Britannia Class), and what we don’t drink will be put aside for the following night.  Is that right?

Also dear husband requires his reds to be chilled.  Preferably about 50° f, if I remember correctly. Are the reds served chilled?

Thanks!

They will indeed keep your bottle(s) of wine for you for the next evening in Britannia. If you want red wine chilled for dinner, at lunch pre-order and ask the wine attendant for that. I’ve always liked and used fixed seating in Britannia because of the ease of this wine saving feature and getting a good rapport with the wait staff. Others could comment how it works for open seating because I have not been in Britannia since the introduction of open seating. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's fairly similar with Open seating - as you leave the meal it should be labelled, and can then be retrieved from storage for the next meal. It helps if you ask about where the wine is stored, so that it can be located more rapidly at the next meal. In particular you should tell waiter  or sommelier about the stored wine as soon as possible after getting to the next meal table.

• Thanks 2