Jackets on Atlas Ocean Voyage

We are close to our luggage allowance for ur upcoming Greenland trip (as we are flying Easyjet on way back to UK from Reykjavik).

I'm sure I read somewhere Atlas will send them home to you for free. Can anyone who has cruised with them recently confirm?

Posted (edited)

My understanding is that AOV will mail you a jacket only if they did not have your correct size on the ship.  We lugged our coats home.  DH folded his into the hood.  I shrunk mine in a compression bag.  Each fit into a small tote (grocery size) bag.  Alternatively, you could wear it to board the plane. Or, you can unzip the vest and wear it, then pack the outer layer jacket.  Some people elected to leave the jacket on the ship.

Our expedition cruise around Svalbard was quite casual and it was warm onboard.  We could have packed less clothes. Several fleece tops and long sleeves were not necessary.  Additionally, there was a $39.99 special for a bag of laundry mid cruise.  It was a generously sized bag, twice as big as the ones on HAL and Celebrity.  Laundry came back the next day!

I just weighed my size medium (vest and coat); 3.8 pounds.  It is a great waterproof jacket if you have a need and a way to get it home.  Enjoy your cruise.  We loved our Atlas experience!

IMG_8221.jpeg

Edited by 81Zoomie
  • Thanks 1

@81Zoomie thanks so much. 

We are worried about dress code it seems more formal than other expedition cruises we have done. Is it OK just to wear jeans for the evening meal and a top and trainers such as skechers? I'm reluctant to pack anything smart just to go for dinner!

It was very refreshing to have a reasonable and casual dress code.  There was no expectation to dress up.  The emphasis was on the outdoor experience.  We didn’t pack any jeans because they are heavy, but many wore them.  Some wore chino/Docker style pants or other lightweight pants. I wore slip on Skechers everyday, and DH had black Nikes.  There was an abundance of fleece, track jackets, long sleeve casual button downs, sweaters, yoga pants, etc.  One man wore a different brightly colored short sleeve tropical shirt every day.  Everyone dressed for comfort and simplicity.

4 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

It was very refreshing to have a reasonable and casual dress code.  There was no expectation to dress up.  The emphasis was on the outdoor experience.  We didn’t pack any jeans because they are heavy, but many wore them.  Some wore chino/Docker style pants or other lightweight pants. I wore slip on Skechers everyday, and DH had black Nikes.  There was an abundance of fleece, track jackets, long sleeve casual button downs, sweaters, yoga pants, etc.  One man wore a different brightly colored short sleeve tropical shirt every day.  Everyone dressed for comfort and simplicity.

That is reassuring thank you. We booked a very last minute deal and the communication from AOV has been very poor.

Just now, HeartCruise said:

That is reassuring thank you. We booked a very last minute deal and the communication from AOV has been very poor.

We did the same.  Communication wasn’t great, but the cruise was!

1 minute ago, 81Zoomie said:

We did the same.  Communication wasn’t great, but the cruise was!

Fingers crossed 🤞 we visited Antartica/South Georgia/Falklands once with Ponant and once with Albatros and have booked with Albatros for Spitsbergen next year (only because we got an 80% discount due to a failed SG and Antarctica cruise 'rogue wave'). It will be good to compare.

Just now, 81Zoomie said:

We did Antartica with Ponant.  We enjoyed the Atlas experience more.

It was a bit too posh for us! I think at the time we paid around £4k pp for the Falklands, SG and Antarctica cruise with a balcony  at Christmas a few years ago on a last minute deal and it was cheaper than some companies were offering a 3 person cabin sharing! We stuck out like a sore thumb though, people were in evening dresses I kid you not and there was me in my Xmas penguin jumper and jeans!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HeartCruise said:

We are close to our luggage allowance for ur upcoming Greenland trip (as we are flying Easyjet on way back to UK from Reykjavik).

I'm sure I read somewhere Atlas will send them home to you for free. Can anyone who has cruised with them recently confirm?

Only if they do not have your size.  Enjoy your trip.

Previous cruisers that relied on Atlas to send their jackets have been disappointed that they have not received them, I think I have only read two instances in which they have.  We packed ours even though they are very bulky and brought them home to New Mexico.  We thought that we would wear them throughout the Winter (last) but we did not.  They are very nice jackets but probably suited to a much harsher winter season than what we have.

We leave this Sunday for Atlas Iceland/Greenland and will not be returing home with them.

1 minute ago, Bigdogwon said:

We leave this Sunday for Atlas Iceland/Greenland and will not be returing home with them

We may end up leaving them. We had two jackets already from previous Antarctica trips but my niece and nephew have had them!

If they do not have your jacket size, it is probably near the end of the season.  It can take Atlas several months to get stock back on hand to mail the correct size(s).  I think people were complaining very early after disembarking that they had not received jackets.  It took us 4-5 months to receive ours.

On 8/13/2024 at 10:08 AM, HeartCruise said:

@81Zoomie thanks so much. 

We are worried about dress code it seems more formal than other expedition cruises we have done. Is it OK just to wear jeans for the evening meal and a top and trainers such as skechers? I'm reluctant to pack anything smart just to go for dinner!

We found the dress code in Antarctica was very relaxed.   Not in a bad way, but in a practical way which recognizes that everyone has spent the day doing two landings and pretty much wants to relax and have good food.