QM2 round trip from Southampton vs. crossing?

vieux_carre

I’m currently booked on QM2 on a 7 day round trip from Southampton (M505, Southampton - Lisbon - Vigo - Southampton).  Only having had prior QM2 experience on transatlantic crossings, will there be a different “feel” to the ship on this voyage and in what regard?  (e.g. presumably primarily British clientele, dressier, less focus on enrichment talks given that there are fewer sea days, etc.?)

3 hours ago, vieux_carre said:

I’m currently booked on QM2 on a 7 day round trip from Southampton (M505, Southampton - Lisbon - Vigo - Southampton).  Only having had prior QM2 experience on transatlantic crossings, will there be a different “feel” to the ship on this voyage and in what regard?  (e.g. presumably primarily British clientele, dressier, less focus on enrichment talks given that there are fewer sea days, etc.?)

The enrichment talks will only be on the sea days but will be of comparative quality. Will be more British guests. To be honest having done both didn’t really notice the difference . 

40 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

The enrichment talks will only be on the sea days but will be of comparative quality

Delighted to hear this, especially given 3 sea days on the itinerary.  They are a highlight for me!

5 hours ago, vieux_carre said:

There will be a different feel since some Crossings have people on them really trying to get from A to B. So in addition to those scared of flying, there are also religious groups, dog owners, people moving home (and thus with baggage which would be expensive to take by air). Students with lots of books.  Whereas Vigo is going to mainly British holidaymakers out for some sun and relaxation. The sequence of port visits also changes timetables on port days. So there won't be anything like as many Americans, and very few French and German travellers compared to Crossings. If the weather is nice and QM2 isn't going at full pelt across the middle of the Atlantic, then there's more outdoor life - more people on the deck chairs and using the recreation facilities.

30 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The weather is more likely to be suitable for the Boardwalk Café to be open. (I know that is hardly a major thing.)

Yes I was going to say something about that, I notice that between my April and August trips on QM2, the Boardwalk Café vanished from the Daily Programme. For August it would have been viable to run the Café because the weather was great and lots of people were on the outside decks, but they didn't open. So I'm waiting for a Med or Caribbean trip to see if they do open it up again. I've not seen it open for quite a while.