Oceania Vista Monaco luggage and embarcation

Volterra24

Hello, We will be starting an Oceania Vista cruise in a week that starts in Monaco. The boat leaves quite late that day. A few questions related to that specific day.  1. I would like to walk around like a tourist in Monaco that day but will have my luggage as we will be coming up from Nice that morning. Can I check my luggage at the cruise ship and then leave for 2-5 hours before formally checking into the ship? 2. Or is there a central luggage locker that we can hold luggage until we head to the port? 3.  We did the online check in and my husband chose 12:30 pm, ugh.  I had planned to choose later that afternoon. I may be able to change the check-in but if we did check in at 12:30 can I assume we are supposed to get on the ship and stay on the ship for the afternoon?  Is there any benefit to boarding that early? I could possibly work on our dinner reservations which are a bit wonky but I hate to be on the ship all afternoon when I could be walking around Monaco. We have been on other cruises but this is our first Oceania.  Thank you

We took the train from Venice to Trieste to meet Riviera there on 10/30/23. We checked in around 1230 and had lunch. There was no line to getting on. Then dropped off our luggage in our room. We were fortunate, things were running smoothly and rooms cleared early. We were in an A3. Then we just walked off the ship and spent the afternoon wandering around Trieste before returning on board.

• Like 1

@Volterra24 we are on the same cruise as you and I booked the 11:30am check in. Our plan is to do as @MEFIowa did - check in, explore ship, eat lunch, drop bags in  room then hop of and go for a walk around Monaco - the only thing we need to check is whether there is a physical muster and what time.

• Like 1

You both mention dropping your luggage off at the room.  I assume you are referring to handheld luggage?  That works.  I am glad to hear I can get off the boat again.  Was not sure and my Oceania rep did not seem to indicate we could do that. But he was not clear himself on the process.   Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Volterra24 said:

You both mention dropping your luggage off at the room.  I assume you are referring to handheld luggage?  That works.  I am glad to hear I can get off the boat again.  Was not sure and my Oceania rep did not seem to indicate we could do that. But he was not clear himself on the process.   Thanks!

Yes definitely hand baggage, we will have checked in the suitcases 😁. We should be OK with our ship cards but worth asking if we need passports though.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Volterra24 said:

Understand that you will not have access to your cabin until it is available for occupation - the time is staggered so depends upon your cabin.  You can definitely drop off your checked baggage and either head out with just your hand luggage or proceed to check in, board, enjoy lunch onboard and then leave ship again with handheld luggage (if cabin is not available) or without if your cabin is available.. I didn't want any misunderstanding that you can access your room as soon as you board, if that is early and you are in a ocean view or inside cabin.. I am sure someone will post the usual times cabins are available by category

Edited by basor
  • Like 2

We did similar in Istanbul in June on Vista - checked in 11:30, dropped checked bags, got our key cards, and stepped foot onboard. After getting boarding cards at guest services (not required in Monaco), we headed right back out into the city. We didn't even explore the brand-new-to-us ship.  We did refill our water bottles lol.

When checking in to embark, we dropped off items at the port as "checked" that on the flight were "hand baggage" so we didn't have to drop anything at the room (this may not work for everyone, have fun with packing!). 

If you want to appear later than your check-in time, that isn't an issue at most ports but I don't know exactly for Monaco. At any given port, checking in earlier than your assigned time is sometimes not allowed but this is up to the port and not Oceania.

Posted (edited)

I am making the assumption that the OP is arriving on Embarkment Day. . Not a good plan, but at this point it is what it is. We will be embarking the new Allura next September in Monaco. Our plan is to likewise fly into Nice, but to do so a day in advance. We will then proceed to Monaco and check into our hotel. That will give us the remaining portion of our arrival day in Monaco. On Embarkment Day, we will leave our luggage with the hotel Concierge and again explore more of Monaco, have a relaxing lunch people watching in one of their delightful restaurants, and after avoiding Boardamania we will collect our luggage from the hotel concierge around 2:30-3:00 and board the ship.

Not taking the risks of arrival on Embarkment Day, and staying in one of the multiple port city hotels simplifies things immensely.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

Thank you. I wasn’t really specific about when we arrive. We are actually traveling Provence for a week prior to boarding in Monaco. I chose Nice for the two nights prior to boarding the cruise as a base to allow for some travel east and West along the water and some inland areas as well.  Like you I would never fly in the day of.  

1 hour ago, Volterra24 said:

Thank you. I wasn’t really specific about when we arrive. We are actually traveling Provence for a week prior to boarding in Monaco. I chose Nice for the two nights prior to boarding the cruise as a base to allow for some travel east and West along the water and some inland areas as well.  Like you I would never fly in the day of.  

I love visiting St.Paul along with some of the other ocean towns. If me, I’d spend that last night, pre cruise, in Monaco and eliminate all the worries.

• Like 1

I had an Alaskan cruise scheduled from Vancouver. Plane to arrive in Seattle. I asked the TA to arrange black car transportation to to Vancity to avoid more problems at airport, bag misdirection, etc. As it happened The President made plans to be in Seattle that afternoon and airspace was closed and no flights could depart. Arrivals only before 2 pm, which was us. I spoke to three people who were SOL because their air connection from SEATAC to YVR was cancelled. Weather was great. One used a rideshare and arrived post midnight at hotel for noon embarkation next day. 

This president visit was not announced until shortly prior due to security. One never knows what might happen.

• Like 2