Djupivogur Excursion Conundrum

Trying to decide on a shore excursion from Djupivogur for next summer.  The most popular destination seems to be the Jökulsárlón Glacier Logoon.  Small group excursion cost $360pp or $720 for a couple.  It is a two hour ride each way.  There is a live web cam there and I have checked it daily over the time period before, during and after when we will be there in 2025.  More then 50% of the time the lagoon is nearly concealed in cloud cover and all one can see are the ice chunks closest to shore.  When it is clear it is beautiful.  There are other excursions that tour the valleys and waterfalls of East Iceland which is an option.  Is going to the Glacier Lagoon worth the cost when you might spend the day in the clouds.

We've been to Jokulsarlon on 4 separate days.  Some cloudy, some sunny.  Never seen it foggy, always been able to see from the ocean to the glacier.  We love it!

The price you quoted seems very high but it is likely your cruiseline has booked up all the local operators, but it might be worth seeing if you can do this independently for much less $

@blackfly Do you mind sharing the name of the tour operator?  I’ve been looking for the same itinerary for our August cruise.  PM me if you do not wish to post the name publicly.  There will be 8 of us - 3 grandparents; 2 parents; 3 elementary school aged children.  I would prefer a private tour so we can make changes on the fly if anyone gets restless.

Celebrity doesn’t have excursions for Djupivogur or Seydisfjordur and I’m having a hard time finding tour operators.

IM feature is disabled.  Send me your email address.<pgrupe@verizon.net>

8 hours ago, bbstx said:

@blackfly Do you mind sharing the name of the tour operator?  I’ve been looking for the same itinerary for our August cruise.  PM me if you do not wish to post the name publicly.  There will be 8 of us - 3 grandparents; 2 parents; 3 elementary school aged children.  I would prefer a private tour so we can make changes on the fly if anyone gets restless.

Celebrity doesn’t have excursions for Djupivogur or Seydisfjordur and I’m having a hard time finding tour operators.

We visited this port in July on a Holland America cruise.  We took the glacier lagoon excursion through the cruise line (similarly expensive).  We were the first tender off the ship and the last one back (about 20 minutes *after* the stated all-aboard time, and the tender was just people from our tour and a few crew.

It was at least 2 hours each way, if not closer to 3, fyi.  Not sure if because of driving time or stops (we had a 15 min comfort stop on the way there and a 45 min late lunch stop on the way back). We went with our two kids (ages 10 and 7) and it was a day with a mix of sun and clouds.  A bit cloudier near the lagoon, though we stopped at the nearby black sand beach afterwards and it was brilliant and sunny.  Both locations were *very* windy.  We had some free time at the glacier lagoon and then took a 30 or 45 min duck boat tour.  It was definitely a loooong way and everyone (DH and kids) were completely wiped by the end of the day, but I really enjoyed it/am glad we did it.  Not sure if they'd say the same.

IIRC, there were some folks on my roll call who found an independent company that went to the glacier lagoon, but the distance from the ship and tightness of the schedule made me a bit nervous.