Cayman Stingray Tour - Most luxurious boat & will video tape?

Cinderellie

Hi -- we're going on the Conquest on 8/29, and have read lots of threads about the Stingray tours in Grand Cayman.

Which of the private tour operators has BOTH of these things:

- a luxury boat (for my hubby)

- and video taping on board for me

- and is great with kids? I have 2 -- 10 YO girl & 14 YO boy.

Advice?

Thanks.

Cinderellie

Honeymoon Dolphin 1982

Royal Caribbean 1985

NCL Norway 1989

Chandris Bermuda 1990

Princess Alaska 1993

Big Red Boat 1998

Disney Magic 2002

8/29 Carnival Conquest Getaway

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;8;29;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

We did the stingray tour last year off of disney. The boat we took out to the sandbar was not at all a "luxury" boat and they did not offer video tapes just still pictures, which we bought. We try to purchase at least one still per cruise and have them framed on the staircase to our rec. room. Makes a nice reminder of the trip every time I walk by. My two children were almost the same ages, girl 9 and son 13. My daughter was a little hesitant at first about getting in the water with the rays swimming around but after about 10 min. she calmed down and got off her father's shoulders. There were a few adults on the boat who flatly refused to get in the water, their loss. All in all it was the best excursion to date. I am hoping the dolphin swim in Nassau will be better. JOan

I booked online using Navtiveway Watersports. The boat was not luxury. Just a boat - but nice. It was a small group of us (about 16 in all) and we each got individual attention. The quides were very nice. They had a lady who video taped and sold tapes or DVDs. If you knew ahead of time you would be interested in buying one, she would make sure she got many shots of you. We did not purchase one so not sure how she did. I would definetly recommend this company. I believe it was $30 pp. Not sure about the price for children. We had a blast doing this. Have fun on your cruise.

CYN123

SMOKE FREE Paradise 5/04

We went last year on Cockatoo Catamaran. It's a very nice catamaran, don't know if you'd call it luxurious though. They had video's or DVD's available for purchase. We had a wonderful time, it was so much fun when they unfurled the sails. I've been on other tours to Stingray City, but this was by far the best. It was around $50 a person I think.

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Jubilee - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess - 3/05

Valor - 10/05

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

We took Capt Marvins in May 04 and it was terrific. The boat was not luxury but it was nice and we only had about 15 people on board. Some of the other boats I saw out there were big double deckers just jam-packed with people! We booked it by phone before we left and then I sent them an email to ask if I could change my time and they were very quick to respond. Our boys are 9, 12, and 20 and the 2 older ones had a blast. The 9 year old was not keen on the stingrays at all. We had to keep peeling him off of us. There was a guy on board our boat who had an underwater video camera and went under water in scuba gear and videotaped us both at the stingray site and again at the coral reef where we were snorkeling. They put the video to music and charged $57.00 for a DVD. (I think video was 45.00?) I thought it was a little steep at the time but am very glad we bought one. When we got back to land, they gave everyone a free Blackbeard's Rumcake. It was really well done.

Explorer of the Seas 03/03

Carnival Conquest 04/04

"The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful...." J.Buffett

Thanks, Princess! We will be booking with Captain Marvin -- I just emailed him! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Cinderellie

Honeymoon Dolphin 1982

Royal Caribbean 1985

NCL Norway 1989

Chandris Bermuda 1990

Princess Alaska 1993

Big Red Boat 1998

Disney Magic 2002

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;8;29;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

I'm even MORE excited now! We're booked with Captain Marvin's in July while sailing Inspiration. Did the stingray tour last year and it was awesome. I would buy a video if it was offered. These are rare experiences and worth having a permanent recording of.

kc

I was just checking Captain Marvin's website, and have a question?

It says they pick you up from the Waterfront Centre, is that where we're tendered into? We'll be on Conquest for the Halloween sailing...

13_1_103.gif

Lorrie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;31;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Official Countdown to Conquest!

Paradise 9/03

Pride 9/02

Fantasy 5/00

Sensation 3/97

Waterfront Centre is a quick and easy walk from where the tender boats drop you off. Maybe 4-5 blocks?....all sidewalk in town. On their website they have a photo of the building and a map. I printed both and took them with us and it was very easy to find and to get to.

Explorer of the Seas 03/03

Carnival Conquest 04/04

"The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful...." J.Buffett

Red Sail Sports offers the best in accomodations and quality of tour. We did this twice, and both times it was awesome. The crew is top notch and the lunch buffet on board was very good. The boats are 60" catamarans and nearly new.

We did book our own tours- what a difference! It was less expensive than the onboard group tours and we achieved a lot more. You will need to take the boat tender onto port and get a taxi to the Hyatt Regency. When you get to the Hyatt, go to the waterfront (which is a canal) and you will find Red Sail Sports. Everyone else that we saw a Stingray City was crammed and limited in time. We sailed right in, not crowded, and had a blast. The crew is young, and my daughter wanted to take one of them home with her.

http://www.redsailcayman.com/gc_index.html

Carnival Miracle Oct. 2004

Carnival Victory 2004

Carnival Legend 2003

Carnival Destiny 2002

Carnival Paradise 2001

Carnival Ecstacy 2000

Carnival Destiny 1999

Carnival Fantasy 1997

Thanks for your response about Buccaneer. Was their tour CROWDED?

Cinderellie

Honeymoon Dolphin 1982

Royal Caribbean 1985

NCL Norway 1989

Chandris Bermuda 1990

Princess Alaska 1993

Big Red Boat 1998

Disney Magic 2002

Archived