Peninsular club - with non-Peninsular guest

I am travelling on Iona in a few weeks' time, with four of my family members.

Four of us are Caribbean Tier in the loyalty programme.

The fifth person will be a first-time cruiser, obviously with no loyalty status at all.

I know the official line - the first-time cruiser gets zero perks, even when travelling with companions who have loyalty status...

... but I just wondered if any recent cruisers have experienced a scrap of generosity from P&O, extended to the 5th guest, in such circumstances?

Or will we definitely have to leave our 5th guest with the luggage while we join the priority boarding queue, welcome aboard lunch etc etc? 😁

One of the key points will be whether the fifth member is in the same cabin as any of the others - if they are then I believe that they can enjoy some of the perks. In any event there should be no problem with joining you at check-in and possibly the embarkation lunch. Things like the cocktail party and loyalty lunch, if they still have them, will almost certainly be a no, no unless you can twist somebody's arm

Assuming that they are sharing a cabin with someone of status…

A cabin can’t check in two people separately therefore highest tier boarding pass on top… and off you go.

Also they should allow them to join you at the embarkation lunch.

Slippers and champagne will still be provided in the cabin by virtue of one qualifying person.

11 minutes ago, david63 said:

One of the key points will be whether the fifth member is in the same cabin as any of the others - if they are then I believe that they can enjoy some of the perks. In any event there should be no problem with joining you at check-in and possibly the embarkation lunch. Things like the cocktail party and loyalty lunch, if they still have them, will almost certainly be a no, no unless you can twist somebody's arm

Thanks for that.

Yes, the fifth person is sharing a cabin with my son, who is her partner.

It would be nice if she could share a couple of the perks. Here's hoping.

1 minute ago, molecrochip said:

A cabin can’t check in two people separately therefore highest tier boarding pass on top… and off you go.

Slippers and champagne will still be provided in the cabin by virtue of one qualifying person.

Thank you for your reply.

Mind you - those slippers are very dangerous. I wore them at home and almost fell down the stairs, as the soles have no grip whatsoever. 😀

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

100% correct, BUT does not work if the first-checkers outside the building have not been told this, or claim to have been told this is wrong information - my experience last year. Apparently, they are not P&O employees and some are bloody-minded, will accuse you of "inventing" confirming contact with P&O Customer Services, and call you a liar, so good luck (and wish me luck when my wife and I (still different tiers) try to board Ventura again next month).

Yes, I’m sure that the majority of the Intercruises staff are lovely but some are real jobs worth on what they believe is the correct information.

I have been known to intervene in situations relating to particularly bad/rude terminal staff.

its not the right start or end of your holiday.

So that this might help others who come across this situation, here is an email received when I asked about the situation before the cruise. It might be useful to have a printed copy ready in case you are challenged:

Re: Boarding Pass arrival time differences on the same booking

PG

To: bbtablet;

26/09/2023 16:40

Dear Bernard,
Thank you for getting in touch with your question about embarkation.
When two guests are travelling within the same cabin – they will allow the lower tier guest to check in together with the Caribbean/Baltic/Ligurian member at the earlier time, in line with their Peninsular Club benefit.
We hope this answers everything for you and we are looking forward to seeing you on board!
Kind Regards
Emma
Guest Support Representative

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Norwayfan1 said:

Thank you for your reply.

Mind you - those slippers are very dangerous. I wore them at home and almost fell down the stairs, as the soles have no grip whatsoever. 😀

I always leave the slippers behind. As they are "one size fits all", my own correctly sized slippers at home are far better. But the little bag with a drawstring that the slippers come in can be really useful, so I always take those home!

Edited by jh1809
  • Like 1

I am Caribbean and boarded the Iona at Southampton last year with my son who was on his first cruise. 

I had my printed boarding pass/ticket which showed my status and explained he was on his first cruise and that we were sharing. They were happy for him to join me in the priority boarding queue. It was only a 7 night cruise so there were none of the benefits for longer cruises.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Norwayfan1 said:

Thanks for that.

Yes, the fifth person is sharing a cabin with my son, who is her partner.

It would be nice if she could share a couple of the perks. Here's hoping.

Just think. When she spends another £25k, or so She will qualify for a sit down lunch and a few glasses of wine.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Just think. When she spends another £25k, or so She will qualify for a sit down lunch and a few glasses of wine.

I know. She can't wait!!!

To me, it sounds like good business sense for a company to allow the partner of a 'loyal' passenger to share a few perks. Creates a good impression. But then, what do I know?

Maybe if my son goes off to enjoy his perks and leaves his partner to enjoy the self-service laundry, that might be the end of the relationship anyway. 🤪 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Norwayfan1 said:

Maybe if my son goes off to enjoy his perks and leaves his partner to enjoy the self-service laundry, that might be the end of the relationship anyway

Or maybe if he wanted to be a true gentleman he could give his perks to his partner whilst he enjoyed the self-service laundry which may then lead to a long lasting relationship - after all he needs to get used to his role in the relationship early on (like the rest of us have had to do!)
😉

Edited by david63
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, david63 said:

Or maybe if he wanted to be a true gentleman he could give his perks to his partner whilst he enjoyed the self-service laundry which may then lead to a long lasting relationship - after all he needs to get used to his role in the relationship early on (like the rest of us have had to do!)
😉

Yes but those perks are the dreaded 'non-transferable'. Pretty sure that's in the P&O small print!!!!

1 hour ago, Norwayfan1 said:

To me, it sounds like good business sense for a company to allow the partner of a 'loyal' passenger to share a few perks. Creates a good impression. But then, what do I know?

Maybe if my son goes off to enjoy his perks and leaves his partner to enjoy the self-service laundry, that might be the end of the relationship anyway. 🤪 

He could leave her waiting outside and take a doggy bag out. She would love that.🤣

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

He could leave her waiting outside and take a doggy bag out. She would love that.🤣

When I started this thread, I never imagined it would come with all the benefits of relationship counselling. I'll be sure to pass on all these handy tips I'm getting! 

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, sweep2907 said:

As long as in same cabin then you'll get all the perks. I've always joined my my mum for embarkation lunch, baltic tier lunches and cocktail loyalty nights. Enjoy 

That's good to hear. Fingers crossed.

11 hours ago, david63 said:

😉

He might find that laundry strangely appealing.

At the moment he's very worried he might be roped into line dancing or exercise classes.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Norwayfan1 said:

He might find that laundry strangely appealing.

At the moment he's very worried he might be roped into line dancing or exercise classes.

Since when did P&O give free laundry to top tier peninsular club members?

Edited by terrierjohn

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Since when did P&O give free laundry to top tier peninsular club members?

Never.

Sorry, I missed out 'self-service.' I meant he might find the self-service laundry strangely appealing.🤪

On 8/22/2024 at 10:55 AM, Norwayfan1 said:

Perhaps folk should ask their prospective new partner what grade they are on various cruise lines. 🤣

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps folk should ask their prospective new partner what grade they are on various cruise lines. 🤣

That might get embarrassing if they are higher than you across all cruise lines😫