Comparing Royal C. to Carnival

Punu

love2...

It's kind of an unfair comparison because both PRINCESS cruises were longer 10 and 15 day cruises but here goes my take on it:

Princess ships are a little more subdued in decor, but classy. Dining rooms and common areas are nice, but lack the RCI WOW FACTOR.

The fellow passengers (majority) on PRINCESS were much older, but these longer cruises were the reason. (older folks have more time and money, and we cruised in the winter high season which means fewer young couples with children)

Can you find a party going on with Princess: Yes. Some nights are very lively...even cruising with older passengers! (keep in mind we are early 40's)

Some of those old folks stayed up later than we did! :)

I find that I relax much more on PRINCESS. I love the line, no matter who else is onboard. I enjoy cruising with older folks too. Very fun to talk with.

Of course...there were younger folks onboard as well.

I love both lines. I think RCI is a better fit with our lifestyle. Princess does a really great cruise too! Tough choice.

I'm hoping CARNIVAL will rival them both!

I have a distinct feeling your group is like my group.

To that I say, RCCL is a great line, I had fun on it, but Carnival. RCCL shuts down too early for our crowd. On RCCL the food is great and there's lots to do (very nice staff, service, etc.), but you really don't need a lot of things to do to still have fun. Pool, sun, good friends and a cold drink is all you need! That and people to watch -- I LOVE people watching while working on my tan!

I have to say I'm extremely jealous of you people who've been on many, many cruises. :o DH and I went on one recently (our first), and would love to go and take the kids, but I don't know when we can afford it.

I hate to take the kids out of school for vacation, but the prices when school is out are doubled!

My wife and I have been on 2 NCL, 2 RCL, 1 CC, and 1 Princess cruise. We are on CC in April. Our first cruise was a 4 day honeymoon cruise on NCL in 1979. We did another RCL 5 years later.

We enjoyed our first RCL the best since it was our first week long cruise and was an absolutely perfect 10th anniversary cruise. Our 25th anniversary cruise was on Princess two years ago and it was very nice also. Princess is owned by Carnival so it very similar though a bit upscale.

The two previous cruises were on the RCL Explorer and then the Carnival Glory, both with our kids. They were both nice cruises. I think I liked the Explorer better as a ship, but the cruise was comparible on both.

I think each cruise line has some positives and negatives. I have noticed over the years that as the ships have gotten bigger and bigger, the service and food have gone down. Not bad service or food, just not as good as on a smaller ship.

Our next cruise is this April on the Carnival Triumph, it more of a mixed family cruise, high school graduation trip for my nephew. We are tagging along and taking our 16 year old daughter. Our sons who are both in college can't go this time.

I think which cruise lines are best is a matter of perspective and expectations. Some are better than others and all are different in some ways, but I've never been on a "bad" cruise.

Archived