Weather in the Strait of Magellan and Fjords in February

Marken

We are doing a HAL cruise in Feb. and I know it will be summer in parts of South America.  When we are in the Straits and Fjords will we need super warm clothing?  We live in the Pacific Northwest and know in summer you don't need heavy warm clothing for Alaska cruises - is a South America cruise similar as far as outdoor clothing requirements.  Not wanting to overpack.

Thanks for the help

Marg

You definitely don't need a winter coat, unless your cruise is also going to Antarctica, which I think you would have mentioned if your cruise is going there.  In 2023 in February we had temps from 50F-70F (roughly 10C - 20C) in the Chilean fjords and Punta Arenas and Ushuaia.  On a tour in Ushuaia, we went to an overlook up in the mountains and there was snow on the ground from overnight and quite cool, but we were fine with our light coats for the few minutes we were there.

We cruised Buenos Aires to Santiago in February, 2024.  I checked my notes:

Ushuaia:  50’s, drizzle turning to sun

Punta Arenas:  50’s, cloudy/partly sunny, windy

Amalia Glacier:  cruising only; mid 50’s, sunny;  quite warm on deck and I wore a long sleeve short and vest.  

Of course, this is our experience only and you could experience very different conditions.  As others have said, layers are the best way to go.  Enjoy your trip.  

We cruised Santiago to B.A. in Jan-Feb of 2024. (This did not include the Antarctic portion, so I cannot comment on that.)

We packed the same as for an Alaska cruise (with two exceptions) and that worked well for us. Think Alaska cruise and you will be fine.

The two exceptions are:

• Santiago was hot and dry. I wore short pants, short sleeves, and a sun hat. Buenos Aires was hot and humid. My clothes were sweaty by the end of every day. (Iguazu falls is even more hot & humid.)
  • The Chilean Fjords were pretty windy. (And even windier in Patagonia). I upgraded my wardrobe to include a Patagonia Torrentshell 3L. (Wait for the black friday sale at REI.) It's a great rain shell, but more important, its a great wind shell. My DW bought an Outdoor Research (OR) rain shell. It's not nearly as good in wind. See photo.

We just got back from a summer RVing in Alaska & Yukon. I used the Torrentshell on that trip a lot. It's really light weight and easy to bring when you need to be prepared for wind & rain.

Did I mention Patagonia? We did a pre-cruise DIY car rental trip to Patagonia. I really liked the cruise, but I LOVED the Patagonia portion best. My DW's favorite was Iguazu falls.

Our favorite excursion was the Falklands Volunteer Point penguins.

DSD05683_Radiant.jpg

Edited by Mercruiser

Thank you everyone!!!  This was the exact info I was looking for.  I bought a rain/wind poncho in Norway last year so that will definitely be coming with me.

Any hotels or tour companies that you would recommend.

Thanks again!!