Test Kitchen - which menu which days?

Advice--don't listen to shoreside Sailor Services.  THey had the wrong info on our first cruise.  I don't know how it is working now that SOME cruises have the C menu.  The easiest thing is to talk to the dining res people on embarkation day.  If you have the "wrong" menu, they can shuffle your reservations to get what you want,

• Like 1

Great question! We are on an October Dominican Daze and I want to experience the new C menu so I am hoping they rotate two days of A, two days of B, one day of C, or something like that. But unless someone else is on a five night cruise and clarify what they’re doing right now, our best bet is to ask as soon as we get on the ship.

4 hours ago, babalooo said:

Great question! We are on an October Dominican Daze and I want to experience the new C menu so I am hoping they rotate two days of A, two days of B, one day of C, or something like that. But unless someone else is on a five night cruise and clarify what they’re doing right now, our best bet is to ask as soon as we get on the ship.

From what I’ve read they will only be serving two menus, it will either be A and B or A and C in rotation.

• Like 1

Would it be safe to book night 1 and the last night in Test Kitchen if we want to try both menus on a 7-day sailing? I know it's not most folks' favorite, but we love a tasting menu so I'm actually most excited about Test Kitchen and want to make sure we try all menus available.

5 minutes ago, bundtkate said:

I know it's not most folks' favorite, but we love a tasting menu so I'm actually most excited about Test Kitchen and want to make sure we try all menus available.

I really enjoyed the experience - I had an excellent waiter and I was seated along with 4 others at one of the counters - this was a partial community dining experience and it worked out well for me.  I got the zero proof pairings which I absolutely loved, the couple next to me got the wine pairings and I enjoyed hearing about the different wines they offered. 

If I had to guess... after 1 meal there you will most likely change your plans and not want to eat there a second time on the same cruise. It's a fun experience, but it's also very gimmicky. 

However... if you really love it, there is also a Vegetarian menu available as well if you want to try it. 

1 minute ago, Travel-and-See said:

If I had to guess... after 1 meal there you will most likely change your plans and not want to eat there a second time on the same cruise. It's a fun experience, but it's also very gimmicky.

You may be right, but we don't really mind the gimmick. We have two set menu style restaurants here at home and while we don't go often, that's more due to the price ($150-$200 per person) than the gimmick. Do you think we'd be better served booking just once and adjusting if we find we want to try the second menu? It sounds from other threads like Test Kitchen is easy enough to get day of so maybe we just book something else and cancel + walk up to Test Kitchen if we decide to go back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bundtkate said:

Do you think we'd be better served booking just once and adjusting if we find we want to try the second menu? It sounds from other threads like Test Kitchen is easy enough to get day of so maybe we just book something else and cancel + walk up to Test Kitchen if we decide to go back.

In my experience, Test Kitchen is a really easy one to get.  The Wake, Extra Virgin and Pink Agave are the most difficult (in that order, in my experience.)  

9 hours ago, bundtkate said:

Test Kitchen is easy enough to get day of so maybe we just book something else and cancel + walk up to Test Kitchen if we decide to go back.

We missed a reservation as I got the time wrong and for a walk up we had to come back in half hour, so it is possible but not always immediate.

9 hours ago, bundtkate said:

Would it be safe to book night 1 and the last night in Test Kitchen if we want to try both menus on a 7-day sailing? I know it's not most folks' favorite, but we love a tasting menu so I'm actually most excited about Test Kitchen and want to make sure we try all menus available.

Previously they did 4 nights of one menu and three nights of another so unless things have changed that strategy should work.

• Thanks 1

Have just left Resilient Lady after a 3 dayer, we went to TK on final night & had Menu C. I believe only A & C were on for the cruise.

I know food is extremely subjective but we wished we had been able to try A as if C was ever offered to us again we would cancel the booking.

Talking to the Maitre 'd' when our waiter passed on our dissatisfaction he tried to justify the concept. In doing so he basically admitted that Menu C was a compromise in order to address 'Pizzagate', so therefore the original spirit of Menus A & B had been diluted. I pointed out that it seemed that certain menu items had not been properly worked through & trade tested, however it was positive to see that VV are responding to customer criticism.

The portion size on Menus A & B led many people to say that they were leaving TK to go for a pizza. Before our cruise I had seen it on VV posts on this site as well as others.

Funnily enough we were in Gungbae and heard the same comment from 2 groups of people separately.

When we then spoke to the Maitre 'd' and he said Menu C was a reaction to people leaving the restaurant hungry, he specifically said 'they went for pizza'

Oh the power of CC !!

I feel like Test Kitchen is just to niche and specific to be considered a regular restaurant on a cruise ship. In another thread I was scolded for "only wanting the food that I want" but I'll say it again, they need to just copy the Wake menu and serve it in Test Kitchen on most nights.   Maybe they could still offer a few of the Test Kitchen dishes as a "Creative" appetizer / side?

I also feel like service makes a huge difference at Test Kitchen - I had a fantastic waiter who really made it a fun experience - without him I'm not sure if I would have stayed haha.  

10 minutes ago, Over Land & Sea said:

When we then spoke to the Maitre 'd' and he said Menu C was a reaction to people leaving the restaurant hungry, he specifically said 'they went for pizza'

Oh the power of CC !!

Oh nobody needs to read CC... when I ate at Test Kitchen I was seated at the counter in between 2 couples - was a sort of communal dining experience as the waiter greeted us all and treated us as 1 group.  The couple to my left said half-way through the meal "well we are definitely getting some pizza tonight"  

13 hours ago, Travel-and-See said:

I feel like Test Kitchen is just to niche and specific to be considered a regular restaurant on a cruise ship. In another thread I was scolded for "only wanting the food that I want" but I'll say it again, they need to just copy the Wake menu and serve it in Test Kitchen on most nights.   Maybe they could still offer a few of the Test Kitchen dishes as a "Creative" appetizer / side?

I also feel like service makes a huge difference at Test Kitchen - I had a fantastic waiter who really made it a fun experience - without him I'm not sure if I would have stayed haha.  

Been to wake twice..salmon good but not running back, seafood tower great but yiu need four people.i am looking forward to test kitchen.

8 hours ago, Roel94 said:

Been to wake twice..salmon good but not running back, seafood tower great but yiu need four people.i am looking forward to test kitchen.

It's a fun experience. I could never get in to the wake for dinner so I can't comment but Test Kitchen was not as good as Razzle Dazzle, Extra Virgin, and Pink Agave.  The entire experience is fun but it's not gourmet it is more gimmicky if that makes sense?