Guest Entertainers - Who have you seen? What did you think?

What brought me to Virgin and what has impressed me the most is the quality of Live Entertainment.  While we have talked about the various resident shows like Duel Reality Circus, Ships in the Night, Untitled, Miss-Behave, etc.... I was wondering who everyone has seen as far as guest entertainers and what you thought?  

On my first cruise, MORF was the guest guitar player and he was incredible, really unique style of playing acoustic guitar and his arrangements of classic rock songs were very original.  On my second cruise, the guest band was the Oscar Ornelas band - they were phenomenal. Oscar himself was a wonderful host, but his Trumpet player really stole the show, honestly the best trumpet player I've ever seen and I frequent jazz clubs, etc. 

I've enjoyed guest musicians on other ships, but they were all good background music - in the case of MORF and Oscar... I would absolutely pay to see either of them in concert and bring along friends and family.  

Who have you seen and who were your favorites?  

Posted (edited)

For musicians I’ve preferred the busker style soloists more than the bands, Daniel Parks, Selki and Matthew Lennox have all been good. I may not have seen them for long enough as more often was in the Manor late night but no band has really stuck with me. I didn’t really like Madison Grace.

For the festival stage acts;

Tape Face was as good as expected, lots of silly fun.

Lucy Darling magician was great and despite the Red Room being almost empty put on a great show and happily roasted our drunk friend.

Tom Crosbie Performing Nerd is great with a perfect show of comedy magic.

Andre Vincent is a good northern British comedian. 
There was a good acapella group I can’t remember the name of.

Michael John was a terrible magician who the audience were actively trying to ignore, I was surprised he didn’t get a boo.

Ben Price was an OK magician.

I can’t recall all the acts I’ve seen onboard but there have been a few other reasonsble British comedians.

Edited by jon81uk
  • Like 1

Sorry, 57 nights on board over 4 cruises and I can't remember the names.  Overall, it has been a mixed lot.  On comedienne was quite awful--all the jokes were about being fat and dating at 40.  Several of the other comedy/show type acts were decent.  Many of the musicians were very good.  Sorry I can't be more specific.  We didn't see many repeats on our successive cruises.

As far as the Happenings Cast, Carlos was amazing.  The problem is that after Carlos, no other Diva can compare.  Most of the other Happenings positions were good, a couple really lacking.

4 hours ago, jon81uk said:

Ben Price was an OK magician.

Ah yes, I saw him on my second cruise and I agree, OK. 

12 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

As far as the Happenings Cast, Carlos was amazing.  The problem is that after Carlos, no other Diva can compare.  Most of the other Happenings positions were good, a couple really lacking.

Yeah... I haven't been overly impressed with the Happening Cast on either cruise. I would describe them as Camp Counselors who are trying way too hard to be hip. That's not necessarily a knock on them, I think that's what Virgin is going for.  There was one on my second cruise who really went out of their way to greet everyone and be "in character" - if they were all like that the concept would work.  

4 hours ago, jon81uk said:

For musicians I’ve preferred the busker style soloists more than the bands

Yes, MORF was one of the busker solo types.. I follow him on Instagram.  He was full time on Scarlet when I saw him but now he just appears to fill in from time to time and can be on any of the ships.   The other guitarist I saw was fine.. but made some really odd jokes in between songs, pointing to guests in the crowd and "guessing" which ones brought drugs on board... I know Virgin likes edgy but it felt over the line to me. 

13 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

Yeah... I haven't been overly impressed with the Happening Cast on either cruise. I would describe them as Camp Counselors who are trying way too hard to be hip. That's not necessarily a knock on them, I think that's what Virgin is going for.  There was one on my second cruise who really went out of their way to greet everyone and be "in character" - if they were all like that the concept would work.  

They struck me as theatre or music majors basically right out of college getting whatever job they could.  Sometimes WAY too loud.  One "The Artist" was awful.  We had a couple on my last cruise who were really good.

• Like 1