Insurance when traveling with children under 16

I won't post this elsewhere on CC (but feel free to copy and repeat it) as I just never go to the other boards here, but wanted to pass along a super deal on travel insurance if you're in good health and reasonably young and traveling with kids under 16. Most of the travel agencies that deal with Regent only carry certain insurance programs because they are considered "luxury" agencies, and these tend to be the most comprehensive plans and also aimed at those 55 and older. I found the premiums to be very high. So high in fact that I considered traveling for the first time with no insurance (scary!).

I recently learned on another board that Travelguard and Travelex do not charge for children under 16. This I thought was fantastic but learned my travel agency doesn't carry those particular programs, only the premium one from Travelguard. They suggested I call myself and today I did. I got a quote from both. Travelex does not charge for children under 16 period. Travelguard will give you one kid free for every paying adult. Since I am traveling alone with two young teens, the Travelex quote was far lower. I took it and saved probably 500 or more dollars in doing so. I knew I didn't need the heavy medical coverage b/c my HMO covers much of that, including evac, but felt uncomfortable having no reassurance for lost luggage and trip interruption or cancellation. Both Travelguard ("essential expanded") and Travelex ("lite") include pre-existing if you buy it in the right time window. So this was perfect for me and my family.

I wanted to pass it along as it's not too often you see hints from others toting globetrotting children along. Hope this can save some other parents $$$!

Good bit of information on the kids.

It is curious about your TA supposedly only carrying the more expensive Travel Guard and Travelex insurances. The companies do not limit which product can be sold. That has to come from the TA. Never heard of an agency turning down selling the insurance. Possibly it is just an upsell technique causing more people to buy insurance they don't need.

BTW, one word of caution. Most HMOs and insurance companies do not cover medical costs on board the ship.

The companies do not limit which product can be sold. That has to come from the TA. Never heard of an agency turning down selling the insurance. Possibly it is just an upsell technique causing more people to buy insurance they don't need.

It did come from the TA. They are a huge agency, part of Carlson Group actually, and they use only Travelguard and not "Travelguard essential". In my experience, it's not unusual for large companies (in any business) to have a policy where they sell only certain products. But they were extremely helpful and gave me the figures with which to find a better rate. They were sad, not being able to do it for me, but that was the company policy. On the other hand, they got me some great discounts on my cruise and cabin credits a smaller agency couldn't swing. Pros and cons each of us travelers has to weigh when booking.

BTW, one word of caution. Most HMOs and insurance companies do not cover medical costs on board the ship.

Yep! But I sat in that office at Kaiser and refused to budge the other day until I got that information. :) They do. just like they'd paid the bill to patch up my cowabunga son up on the slopes of Heavenly when he busted his wrist snowboarding backwards. (don't ask). And the insurance I just mentioned DOES cover most normal medical expenses anyway, so now we're doubly covered!

BUT, thanks for the headsups, Iamboatman. It IS appreciated!

I see your son has beaten mine to the emergency room! We ski the northside of Tahoe and he has been hitting the backside on his board catching air since he was 6! (I can't watch...but I have great insurance.)

I would just double-check the shipboard care (if you think that may be an issue) as yours would be the first primary medical insurance carrier I am aware of that would cover the ship's doctor/facilities. (Personally I think they all should, but I also know there have been many a fight over this issue!) I hope you were given the right information. That would be great!

What my own medical insurance covers or not is moot here. Both of the plans I mentioned here DO cover shipboard medical care, plus a lot more. But the children are FREE. It troubles me that so many TAs (you included! Slap! Slap!) are not in the know about these plans and many times may charge their clients for insurance coverage they don’t need--not intentionally, I’m sure, but through ignorance of these programs. It’s why I posted, to let other parents on CC know that they don’t in all cases have to pay to cover their kids.

Here’s the link for Travelex, which I bought:

https://www.travelex-insurance.com/Enrollments/BrowsePlans.htmx

And here’s the text description of the Travelguard plan. As you can see, medical is covered:

"Travel Guard Essential Expanded Insurance provides coverage for travelers who want coverage and Travel Guard's exclusive 24-hour emergency travel services. Children 16 and under arecovered at no additional cost for every adult that purchases this Travel Guard Essential Expanded Insurance protection plan. Travel Guard Essential Expanded Insurance includes coverage for financial default, terrorism and pre-existing medical conditions."

And Iam boatman, I don’t like to watch either!!! J

I know that Travel Guard and Travelex policies cover onboard medical...that was really my point!! (I don't want someone to forego that rather inexpensive coverage because of a possibly false sense of security that their regular medical coverage would apply.) I kinda liked the slap, though!:o

Also, I was trying to not "recommend" any coverage. I know what the policies cover and I think you probably bought some additional coverage that another Travel Guard policy (which is less expensive) doesn't include. It is a personal choice in a maze of unclearly worded choices!:confused:

I think you probably bought some additional coverage that another Travel Guard policy (which is less expensive) doesn't include. It is a personal choice in a maze of unclearly worded choices!:confused:

See, I couldn't have paid less with Travelguard, no matter what plan I chose, as they would have charged for 1 of my kids and with Travelex BOTH were free. I'm not really pitching one insurer over the other, just stating that Travelex is "consumer friendly" for a single parent traveling with more than one kid. Other than that, both companies are pretty similar in what they offer. You're right, it IS a maze. It's why I posted to share what I discovered about not having to buy separate insurance for the kids. I never saw that mentioned anywhere.

And anytime you want another slap, Iamboatman, just let me know!:p I'm here to serve!

Sue, you are correct. Kaiser covered us everywhere on our World Cruise. That had been one of our concerns too! Good to have that peace of mind.

Yes! It IS peace of mind. Kaiser has been great no matter where we get hurt or sick (that sounds terrible, doesn't it?) I wouldn't have gotten ANY insurance, but fretted about terrorism incidents and weird weather or something unexpected here at home that might cause us to cancel. Now, for a low price, I have reassurance we're covered in that event. We only sort of ended up doubling up on the med coverage, unfortunately, but you can't buy reassurance-only insurance. It all has medical tacked on.:mad:

Archived