Iguazu Falls: Argentina or Brazil side?

psygist

I am planning a full day excursion to Iguazu Falls.  If I am only able to visit one side, should I visit the falls from Argentina or Brazil?

Thanks for any advice, especially from anyone who has visited from both sides!

We visited both sides in Feb 2024 on a two day trip to the falls. Either side is wonderful. If I could only go to one side, I have a slight preference for Brazil for the simple reason that I'm into photography and my best photos were from the Brazil side - it has the most picture-perfect views. My wife is into water falls, and she also favors the Brazil side.  But the Argentina side was equally wonderful and is the better side for the boat trip to the falls. The Argentina side seemed less crowded because there is more room for people to spread out. The Brazil viewing platforms were more crowded (and had the better views IMHO).

For a one-day visit, I suggest that the correct answer to your question depends on what country you are starting from. If you will already be in Brazil, then I'd visit the Brazil side. If you are already in Argentina, then visit the Argentina side. Crossing the border takes time you probably don't have.

Either way, I suggest you hire a private guide to take you around. That will save time and you will not have to worry about logistics. For our two day visit, I used a Brazil guide from Tours By Locals. I am very glad I hired a guide, instead of going DIY.

Edited by Mercruiser

14 hours ago, Lvntrvl said:

I have not visited either, but we are planning to be there in February so I have been doing extensive research, and hands down the Argentina side has more to see and do.

Go to both sides if you can. The two sides are very different.

Argentina advantages:

• The speed boat to the falls has better access to the actual falls than does the Brazil counterpart. This was one of the funnest things we did at the falls.
  • Most of the viewpoints are from the catwalks on top of falls, looking down. This is a very enjoyable experience, but it is hard to photograph.
  • The Argentina viewpoints are very spread out. This makes them seem a lot less crowded than the Brazil ones. It's also a lot more walking (only an issue if you are mobility challenged.)
  • Argentina is a cheaper place to stay and dine. We stayed  on the Argentina side and made a day-trip to the Brazil side.

Brazil advantages:

• The viewpoints directly face the best waterfall views. This is where my best photos are from.
  • The viewpoints are in a fairly compact area and are more accessible for anyone who is mobility challenged (there is an elevator from the parking lot to the main viewing area).
  • One of the viewpoints is on a catwalk completely surrounded by water on all sides. It's a very good experience.
Edited by Mercruiser

The Argentina speedboat was a blast. We all got completely soaked because they took the boat close enough to the falls that it felt like we were inside a dishwasher. (See rainbow picture with boat above.)  It was so hot out that getting drenched was a good thing! 

Make sure your camera is water rated. I used my Pixel 6a smartphone for the boat trip. All other photos were taken with my primary travel camera: Sony DSC-RX100M7 (not water resistant).

PXL_20240207_144450100_Radiant.jpg

Edited by Mercruiser