Cunard history

MJC

I thought you might enjoy this photo I recently found elsewhere: 

luxurylinersphoto.jpg.259df18d34c606389eea2b0bf482d1bc.jpg

"On September 3, 1957, New York’s West Side, known as Luxury Liner Row, hosted a grand assembly of iconic Atlantic liners. The photograph captures six of these classic ships, which arrived early that morning, marking the end of the summer vacation season the day after Labor Day. From top to bottom, the vessels included American Export Lines' INDEPENDENCE at Pier 84, United States Lines' flagship UNITED STATES at Pier 86, Greek Line's OLYMPIA and French Line's FLANDRE at Pier 88, and Cunard Line's MAURETANIA and QUEEN MARY at Pier 90. At Pier 92 was Cunard's BRITANNIC, which had arrived on August 31. This gathering of liners, 67 years ago, collectively brought around 9,400 passengers to New York in the luxury of the era. In contrast, today, Royal Caribbean's ICON OF THE SEAS alone can carry 7,600 passengers, nearly matching the capacity of all six classic liners combined."

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NE John said:

Sad to hear that a better fate was not financially viable.  But I suppose continuing to rust in Philadelphia isn't much better.

4 minutes ago, sfred said:

Sad to hear that a better fate was not financially viable.  But I suppose continuing to rust in Philadelphia isn't much better.

Agreed. Decades of indecision. 

58 minutes ago, sfred said:

I have to and want to drive to Philadelphia to take a few pictures of the SS United States before she is towed away on September 12th to become an underwater artificial reef. If there is anyone interested in making this trip the SS United States is at Pier 82 on the Delaware River on the Philadelphia waterfront