The Wake - Crispy Polenta?

Cloud9 Bob

14 hours ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

I predict this thread is going to be about as popular as a screen door on a submarine! 😝

It could be one of those foods that no one knows what it is and won't try it. On my cruise the end of this month I thought I would try it since I will be eating 3 times there.

It's kind of like the eel on the Test Kitchen menu - that one is a hard no, but a lot of folks in Britain really like it.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2024 at 10:45 AM, Gretchendz said:

I will try it when I sail in a couple of weeks and bring you a full, documented report because it sounds good 🙂

I'll be looking forward to your review. It actually sounds good to me, also. The reason I haven't tried it by now is my history with it. I was born and raised in New York to Italians and we never made it. When visiting restaurants there, it was usally a side dish with some tomato sauce drizzled on it. Not very exciting and certainly not entree quality. VV seems to have elevated it and added the crispy factor to it. I'm anxious to try it now. I was going to rename this thread Polenta Gate...but it seems to have gained some momentum, LOL!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

VV seems to have elevated it and added the crispy factor to it.

I don't think he 'invented' it, but Jamie Oliver (UK chef - behind Jamie's Italian) had Crispy Polenta Chips (in the British 'fries but bigger than fries' way, not the sort of chips British people call "crisps") on his menu 13+ years ago.

VV definitely aren't responsible for elevating it.

15 minutes ago, cmvikinger said:

VV definitely aren't responsible for elevating it.

All I was saying is that it’s an elevated version of what I knew growing up as a very plain side dish. The crispy factor is a nice plus. Actually, VV is responsible for elevating it, because that’s exactly what they did in their venue, but I’d agree they’re not the first to do so.

5 minutes ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

All I was saying is that it’s an elevated version of what I knew growing up as a very plain side dish. The crispy factor is a nice plus. Actually, VV is responsible for elevating it, because that’s exactly what they did in their venue, but I’d agree they’re not the first to do so.

If it is anything like the crispy polenta I had at Jamie's Italian (and it should be, I can't see much room for variation in taste)... it is worth trying.

I did once cross a border to have it. I enjoy the dish.

Edited by cmvikinger

• 3 weeks later...

I am polenta-less???

I will survive...I live to cruise another day...mid October actually. Then I will see what this polenta business is all about, and (in a twist of fate) report to you instead! 🥣 🤣

• Haha 1