100% Cotton bedding on HAL ships

CHK

We haven't cruised with HAL since before 2020 and in 2021 I developed a allergy to polyester. I can't have contact with anything containing polyester without having a severe reaction. It didn't take me long to discover that nearly every hotel in the U.S. uses sheets that are a cotton/poly blend--so if I want to travel I usually have to bring my own sheets.

I'm hoping I won't have to do this on a HAL cruise but I can't find information on the fiber content of the sheets and other bedding. Can anyone provide me more specific information?? 

I think you should contact HAL for more information about their sheets. Probably best to err on the side of caution and bring your own. I would suggest a different color than white, however so that if you have to send them to be laundered, they dont get mixed up with the ship sheets.

• Like 3

That must be one heck of an allergy to manage as polyester is so widely used on a cruise ship.  Tablecloths, napkins, bedding, draperies, bed scarves, seating throughout the ship.  How does carpeting affect your allergy?  Cruise ships are also filled with flame retardant materials and most of those are polyester based also.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pmjnh said:

I think you should contact HAL for more information about their sheets. Probably best to err on the side of caution and bring your own. I would suggest a different color than white, however so that if you have to send them to be laundered, they dont get mixed up with the ship sheets.

I'd love to call if I only knew who to call. My TA called and was not able to get any information other than they'd put a note on our reservation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbr663 said:

That must be one heck of an allergy to manage as polyester is so widely used on a cruise ship.  Tablecloths, napkins, bedding, draperies, bed scarves, seating throughout the ship.  How does carpeting affect your allergy?  Cruise ships are also filled with flame retardant materials and most of those are polyester based also.

It's challenging--took a full year to replace all of my clothing, household items, furniture etc.  I can touch polyester items briefly (less than a minute) without have a huge reaction but direct contact for anything longer is a problem. I'm okay as long as I have cotton clothing between me and whatever. On cruise ships, I never walk barefooted in the cabin and I make sure there is something between me and any fabric seating. I keep a cotton baby swaddling blanket (like a mini throw) with me to drape over fabric chairs but usually we can scope of which seating areas are covered in leather or vinyl. Sheets are the biggest problem. We've been cruising on Princess since they have only organic cotton bedding. But now we have a HAL cruise booked--a 45 day cruise--so really need to find out if they can provide the sheets I need.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, CHK said:

It's challenging--took a full year to replace all of my clothing, household items, furniture etc.  I can touch polyester items briefly (less than a minute) without have a huge reaction but direct contact for anything longer is a problem. I'm okay as long as I have cotton clothing between me and whatever. On cruise ships, I never walk barefooted in the cabin and I make sure there is something between me and any fabric seating. I keep a cotton baby swaddling blanket (like a mini throw) with me to drape over fabric chairs but usually we can scope of which seating areas are covered in leather or vinyl. Sheets are the biggest problem. We've been cruising on Princess since they have only organic cotton bedding. But now we have a HAL cruise booked--a 45 day cruise--so really need to find out if they can provide the sheets I need.

I don't think they will be able to promise you that, because what if something goes wrong, you might want to cancel the cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHK said:

I'd love to call if I only knew who to call. My TA called and was not able to get any information other than they'd put a note on our reservation. 

i would ask your TA to call the special services department at HAL. Your TA should surely be able to find number or email address for them.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Tennessee Titan said:

actually 97% cotton...

Well, I guess if it's 97% cotton the 3% is most likely polyester. So I guess we either cancel the cruise or pack an extra suitcase with 2 sets of sheets and pillow cases...Bummer!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

I don't think they will be able to promise you that, because what if something goes wrong, you might want to cancel the cruise.

True, but I am not the only person with this allergy and also I'm wondering why HAL wouldn't have high end sheets to begin with considering they consider themselves to be upscale.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CHK said:

True, but I am not the only person with this allergy and also I'm wondering why HAL wouldn't have high end sheets to begin with considering they consider themselves to be upscale.

They might have cotton sheets in the stateroom, but in the other venues, like dining room, lido, pinnacle etc., they may have tablecloths or napkins etc. that are a blend so you could still get sick. So I would cancel.

29 minutes ago, CHK said:

Well, I guess if it's 97% cotton the 3% is most likely polyester. So I guess we either cancel the cruise or pack an extra suitcase with 2 sets of sheets and pillow cases...Bummer!

Ummm.....

I got $5 that the mattress is made with polyester.  And probably yours at home too...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, srsurman said:

Ummm.....

I got $5 that the mattress is made with polyester.  And probably yours at home too...

No doubt the mattresses are made with polyester. Probably the mattress pad is a blend. I can deal with all of these except the sheets. But our mattress at home is solid latex foam covered in organic wool and cotton. The mattress pad if 100% cotton except for the sides--can't win them all!

• Like 2

I have food allergies and have always reported it through the special requirements link.  https://book.hollandamerica.com/specialServices/login.action.  They've always done a good job accommodating me, so that might be worthwhile for you to try.  There's also a phone number for the Ship Services Department listed on the allergy FAQ.  800-541-1576.  You can try that also.  Good luck, I hope you can safely go on your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2024 at 8:41 PM, sciencewonk said:

I have food allergies and have always reported it through the special requirements link.  https://book.hollandamerica.com/specialServices/login.action.  They've always done a good job accommodating me, so that might be worthwhile for you to try.  There's also a phone number for the Ship Services Department listed on the allergy FAQ.  800-541-1576.  You can try that also.  Good luck, I hope you can safely go on your cruise.

Thank you for that information. I tried to submit a request but it wouldn't take it--maybe too early to make a request. But I'll have your information to try again later. Thanks again!