**LIVE** from MSC Seascape YC (Yacht Club) - Caribbean & Bahamas from Miami 14 September to 28 September 2024

Best Cat Mom

Now that it's Sunday and I'm finally getting back to posting some details, I feel like I've done a bait-and-switch on all of you by calling this a "Live" thread. My goal as we sit in TSL is to get this thread caught up. Goals are good, but we'll see if I achieve this one...

Pre-embarkation:

We had finished packing around 7:30pm and then it was dinnertime. We eat at home late, just like on the ship, so for us we were on schedule.

Headed to bed around 11pm with a 5am wake up alarm. We ordered an Uber XL since we had 4 bags instead of usual 3 for a Caribbean cruise. BCD wanted an extra bag for his car supplies and a few already completed cars to not be squished.

We arrived to the Delta lounge at 8am and promptly ordered 2 champagnes and 2 coffee with Baileys. We helped ourselves to the buffet there. We each had a mini-omelet with some sides.

image.thumb.jpeg.769cf29c2f2d11b340bee871b65901f0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4f6edf4b18f1a57d2ed43c781045e0c8.jpeg

Delta does a pretty good job at labeling for food allergies. They use both words and symbols with distinct colors that makes it pretty easy for a Gluten Free (GF) person like me to navigate the choices.

At some point they announced that the bathrooms were closed due to a water leakage issue. At ~8:34am they announced all was good -- but who was counting how long it was, yeah right. And then they quickly canceled again, not removing the barriers to entry.

Then they said the restrooms were again ready to be opened at 8:44am. We (finally) freshened up then and headed out for our flight.

The day continues next...

• Like 3

On 9/14/2024 at 11:51 AM, Best Cat Mom said:

A quick update for right now...

We were checked in at 10:50am and on board in TSL by 11:08am

YC Director for the cruise is Dani. He circulated and introduced himself to us at 11:20am.

Our cabins were ready at 11:25am. We're finishing our first drinks (champagne and coconut rum/orange juice) now.

Dani is wonderful. We sailed with him last year in the Med on Seaview. He is very visible and interactive. Have a great time. We will be in Seashore in October. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are on the 9/28 sailing out of Miami and have never sailed this time of year to the carribean.

Looking at predictions rain could screw with the YC experience in regards to their pool buffet this time of year (???)

I am so looking forward to NOT going to the buffet where the masses reside!

I hate the idea of not having it because it closing during rain (??)

First time on MSC as well as YC.

Has anyone sailed this time of year to the carribean?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Now that it's Sunday and I'm finally getting back to posting some details, I feel like I've done a bait-and-switch on all of you by calling this a "Live" thread. My goal as we sit in TSL is to get this thread caught up. Goals are good, but we'll see if I achieve this one...

Pre-embarkation:

We had finished packing around 7:30pm and then it was dinnertime. We eat at home late, just like on the ship, so for us we were on schedule.

Headed to bed around 11pm with a 5am wake up alarm. We ordered an Uber XL since we had 4 bags instead of usual 3 for a Caribbean cruise. BCD wanted an extra bag for his car supplies and a few already completed cars to not be squished.

We arrived to the Delta lounge at 8am and promptly ordered 2 champagnes and 2 coffee with Baileys. We helped ourselves to the buffet there. We each had a mini-omelet with some sides.

image.thumb.jpeg.769cf29c2f2d11b340bee871b65901f0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4f6edf4b18f1a57d2ed43c781045e0c8.jpeg

Delta does a pretty good job at labeling for food allergies. They use both words and symbols with distinct colors that makes it pretty easy for a Gluten Free (GF) person like me to navigate the choices.

At some point they announced that the bathrooms were closed due to a water leakage issue. At ~8:34am they announced all was good -- but who was counting how long it was, yeah right. And then they quickly canceled again, not removing the barriers to entry.

Then they said the restrooms were again ready to be opened at 8:44am. We (finally) freshened up then and headed out for our flight.

The day continues next...

We are 💯 Delta...because sky miles and amex...We love the sky lounge...they vary greatly in my experience...the one (there are two, but...) in Boston is amazing...a true pamper pad....the one in FLL was fine, but lacking IMO. The food offerings were slim, the bar had a complimentary menu (?!)...also they "closed" an hour earlier than listed...which doesn't sound like a big deal until you're on the last leg of your trip and expect/pay for the comfort

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

We are on the 9/28 sailing out of Miami and have never sailed this time of year to the carribean.

Looking at predictions rain could screw with the YC experience in regards to their pool buffet this time of year (???)

I am so looking forward to NOT going to the buffet where the masses reside!

I hate the idea of not having it because it closing during rain (??)

First time on MSC as well as YC.

Has anyone sailed this time of year to the carribean?

Our first cruise was early October...so similar. It was smooooooth sailing. Of course, I would recommend the requisite trip insurance through Allianz because although we've never needed it, it is short money for peace of mind towards the end of hurricane season 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Hmm, sounds better than the typical offerings of the United Club.  Maybe I should think about going back to flying Delta -- oh wait, that would mean flight through Altanta's Hartsfield-Jackson disaster of an airport for most flights.  I think I'll just stick with the crappy United Club offerings. 

You mentioned Uber being $20 to the cruise port.  Which hotel again did you choose for your pre-cruise stay?  We're still in the Marriott at Biscayne Bay. 

1 hour ago, no1talks said:

If seen the pictures of BCD's artistry.

Those cars are worth much better bottles of liquor than YC puts in their rooms. 🙂

Not only this, the number of bottles of fine Champagne @Best Cat Mom has to consume to accommodate her husband's raw material needs is astronomical. She is not only the nicest poster on Cruise Critic, she has been able to keep up with his production demands and can still stand when called to do so.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, MonsterJoe said:

We are 💯 Delta...because sky miles and amex...We love the sky lounge.

I looked at this but it seems that (1) you are limited to the number of times you can bring a non-member guest with you and (2) you are limited to 15 visits a year.  When I was still working and traveling enough to make it worth having a club membership this would not have worked.  With my United Club Visa card, I could bring up to two guest (and a couple of times I managed to get three guest in) into the lounge anything as long as they were booked United passengers.  I'd frequently meet team members at layovers or even at the origin airports and take them into the lounge with me.  A lot of my flights would require layovers so it was pretty common for me to have four lounge stays in a single trip (two going and two returning).  That would burn through 15 visits rather quickly. 

Maybe it works differently than I am reading it but my closest airport is Washington Dulles and for us United just always made more sense as Dulles is a major United hub.. 

27 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Not only this, the number of bottles of fine Champagne @Best Cat Mom has to consume to accommodate her husband's raw material needs is astronomical.

I have plans to also contribute to his consumption of raw materials.  Of course my contribution is dependent on my DW's not 86'ng me  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MonsterJoe said:

Our first cruise was early October...so similar. It was smooooooth sailing. Of course, I would recommend the requisite trip insurance through Allianz because although we've never needed it, it is short money for peace of mind towards the end of hurricane season 

Oh yes....and never cruise without it!

When we hit our 50's is when we took insurance seriously.

32 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I looked at this but it seems that (1) you are limited to the number of times you can bring a non-member guest with you and (2) you are limited to 15 visits a year.  When I was still working and traveling enough to make it worth having a club membership this would not have worked.  With my United Club Visa card, I could bring up to two guest (and a couple of times I managed to get three guest in) into the lounge anything as long as they were booked United passengers.  I'd frequently meet team members at layovers or even at the origin airports and take them into the lounge with me.  A lot of my flights would require layovers so it was pretty common for me to have four lounge stays in a single trip (two going and two returning).  That would burn through 15 visits rather quickly. 

Maybe it works differently than I am reading it but my closest airport is Washington Dulles and for us United just always made more sense as Dulles is a major United hub.. 

Yes...that's about right...DW and I are both card holders...and we each get the 15 and

the four guest passes...which gives us a some swanky couples trips and also one with the kids every year

At a senior level in my career, I work at home and don't have to travel anymore ( except once a year sometimes to polish some brass)...we basically use this card to filter our expenses through for miles to pay for for vacation, which pays for itself with its other perks like rideshare, and resy kickbacks...

Edited by MonsterJoe
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

You will see a black male with his Raider gear and a white female with pittsburgh steelers gear during football season 😆

I just do it to get his goat! 😂

Don't tell him though....😉

Ugh..I thought I liked you.  😜

4 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

The weather on the One Pool Deck is still very pleasant at 2:30 pm, with a constant breeze. Not at all like the stifling stagnant heat we had in July. September appears to be a winner for cruising.

I am getting so confused I am now posting my stuff on your thread.

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

September appears to be a winner for cruising.

Our worst September cruise experience was the Mexican Riviera cruise. We found out, since I did not research beforehand, that September is the hottest month to visit places like Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlán.  We took a ships shore excursion to Hotel California - which is in a desert portion of the Baja Peninsula.  It was so hot, my wife and I returned to the airconditioned comfort of the bus after only an hour or walking around the town and having lunch at the hotel. 

• Haha 1