Colon Free Zone (April 20th)

Tiqco

Would like to take a taxi there to shop for a few hours. Is it safe to just catch a taxi at the pier. I am on the Liberty and want to go there shopping on april 20th. *** Please let me know if anyone else has taken a taxi there on their own and if they found it safe or not.

Thanks

*edited to remove request for companions*

We were in Colon a couple of years ago and personally I would not venture out into Colon city with being with a group. There were taxis available but once you get away from the cruise port, it definitely looks like you have entered into a third world country. The Free Zone according to a number of people who have posted on this board is actually more a place for people looking to buy container loads of goods not for a tourist looking to pick up a bargain to take home.

Again this is IMHO but I would look into something else to do while in Colon.

Have a great next cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

The Free Zone is not for tourists buying a single item. It is for businesses who are in the import/export business. There is, however, good shopping at Colon 2000 right there where your ship is docked (not Cristobal pier for ships who have been to Gatun lake). You do not have to leave the safety of the port area and venture into town.

Archived