RCI Ravenna shuttle info - Sept 2024

little britain

Thanks for posting this.  Just so I'm clear, this is what was information made available to you on board the ship, not in advance of your sailing, correct?

That's an acceptable deal to the Ravenna train station.  Of course it's more expensive than your other option, the public bus, but not so much more that I'd really think hard about it.  And it's less than a taxi for two people, assuming you could even get one.

Edited by euro cruiser

23 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Thanks for posting this.  Just so I'm clear, this is what was information made available to you on board the ship, not in advance of your sailing, correct?

That's an acceptable deal to the Ravenna train station.  Of course it's more expensive than your other option, the public bus, but not so much more that I'd really think hard about it.  And it's less than a taxi for two people, assuming you could even get one.

Yes this was info on board the ship. 

Note they “fib” saying there is no public transport in Ravenna, when we all know there is a bus 🚌

We will depart from Ravenna next week.There is a public bus but you have to walk on a road without sidewalks for some time and with luggage its more dificult, so we booked the shuttle provided by RC. The city shuttle was more expensive than the RC one, I guess we made a good choice.

Hi, unless its changed, there is the bus number 90.

I caught this bus to the port in May 2023.

I flew down to Bologna (as I had been to Venice many many times, so didn't want to have a longish journey to the day of the cruise as there could be strikes or weather issues) and stayed overnight in a hotel near the train station. Then on cruise day, I caught a train from Bologna to Ravenna which took about an hour as it was a slowish train, but had plenty space for cases.

Then coming straight out of the train station at Ravenna, I went to the bus office and purchased 2 3 euro tickets for the number 90 bus which had a stop just round the corner about 50 yards and I did ask if I needed to pay more for the 2 cases, but they said I would be alright. The bus took about 30 minutes to get to the town where the ship was docked. You cannot see the ship beforehand, but the bus does a kind of loop around the town near the ship and there are at least 3 stops you can get off at, one opposite the slip road that leads to the ship which is about 500 yards away. There is a small luggage rack on the bus, so they do expect travellers with cases as I believe there are some hotels in the area just north of the town.

The walk (with cases) to the ship takes about 10 minutes and there is no shelter from the elements. You start on a road but there is a path at the side later on.

It's not the best port location to get to, but its also not the worst.

We got an 1130 check-in and were there at 1130. There 90 bus did have some bigger gaps in its times later in the day. I would imagine if you were early enough, then you would be able to get a taxi too. There aren't many, but if you are there before it gets busy and if there are 4 of you with loads of luggage then this may become a better option.

You will have to google the latest bus times, but IIRC on the cruise day, RCI offered shuttles from Bologna train station to the ship. You will have to do the maths and see what they cost against the cost of a train to Ravenna and the local bus or taxi fares.

Hope this helps.

BTW. Sometimes, the Italians have strikes that affect certain trains, so it may be worth checking nearer the time to make sure your train is running. I believe you can get a refund if the train is cancelled and then just jump on a RCI shuttle as they said last year that the price is put on your account on board.

Mick.

"BTW. Sometimes, the Italians have strikes that affect certain trains, so it may be worth checking nearer the time to make sure your train is running."

Yep, we are facing  strikes next friday when we arrive to Bologna...one local regarding to the train staff and one national regarding to public transports.