Marseille

Lady-520

I’ll be on Celebrity Equinox in May 2025. I’m debating between Villages of Luberon while in Marseille or spending the day in Saint Tropez. We have some mobility issues with hills and steps but walking is not an issue. Since we will be touring many villages while in Italy and lavender will not be in bloom yet, thinking Saint Tropez  may be nice. Thoughts?

Apples and oranges.  Some lavender will be in bloom, but May certainly isn't the peak.  Southern France and Italy (depending on where exactly you will be) don't have a lot in common. The Luberon would be a beautiful drive but not so much so in a tour bus.  In Saint Tropez, there are beaches, and tourism is their main source of income.  With that comes the usual tourist hoopla.  But, depending on when exactly you will be there, your visit could coincide with the celebration of their patron saint, Les Bravades.  The parades and demonstrations could be fun.  Have you looked into staying in Marseille?  The cathedral there is stunning and they have not restored the exterior World War II damage,which is thought provoking. (It is on the top of a hill, though.  There are transportation options to the top. You don't have to walk.)  Le Panier is the historical center that has a lot of street art and fun to just walk around and absorb a city totally unlike bigger cities to the north.  The food scene there is wonderful.  Local produce, seafood and some very good Middle Eastern food as well.  You won't go wrong with whichever you choose. Have a great time.

On 9/17/2024 at 4:23 AM, Lady-520 said:

Thoughts?

On 9/17/2024 at 2:58 PM, wanderlust58 said:

Have you looked into staying in Marseille? 

I am actually of the same mind.  The idea of staying in Marseille may not conjure up thoughts of "the perfect day", but there are a number of good reasons to at least consider it, even more so if anyone has mobility challenges as most of the following suggestions can be undertaken on the flat ground around the Vieux Port, itself one of the top city "sights", and from alongside, the "trickier with mobility issues options" are achieved by simply stepping onto transport. 

The are short  boat trips to the offshore islands including the Chateau d'If (think Count of Monte Cristo) and depending on the time of year, longer boat trips to the Calanques of Cassis. As for getting around this city, hilly in parts, again alongside the Vieux Port, there are HOHOs and one of those little tourist trains which chugs around and which can take you all the way up to the Basilica of Notre Dame de la Garde for the best city views.

As long as whoever has mobility issues can walk the short distance from the cruise line shuttle bus stop to the Vieux Port,(and back again for the return to ship)  as you can read, there are a number of sightseeing options some of which might appeal to you,, and of course there are also many restaurants and shopping opportunities close to the Vieux Port.

Here is a copy/paste of info I have given previously. ignore this semi-quote which was my error.

On 5/27/2024 at 11:18 PM, Oriolesfan8 said:

Cruise shuttles usually run all the way to an area very close to the Vieux Port, Fort St Jean or MUCEM,  same location for the return to ship.

Once in the area of the Vieux Port there are a number of sightseeing options within the immediate vicinity.

It is easy to spend time around the Vieux Port, itself worth a visit in its own right And if already in the area next to the Vieux Port, you could wander into the historic  Fort St Jean,at one end of the VP, part of which is free entry. From here you can cross a footbridge to the ultra modern MUCEM complex.on the waterside which is worth visiting.  (as an aside, your shuttle bus may drop off and pick up from here or  close to it) It is mostly outdoors with walkways and terraces, and some lovely views of the Vieux Port, Notre Dame de la Garde and the Med.  It is a public space and can be enjoyed free of charge by anyone whether local or visitor unless you choose to enter any of the paying exhibitions.  There are seating areas, and cafes and restaurants  and it is a lovely place to stroll  or sit whilst admiring the views of both city and sea.  And from there you will be able to see the huge Cathedral de la Major a 5 minute walk away across the road. one of the largest cathedrals in France, Iit merits a short visit and has free entry. 

There are also short  boat trips on offer from the Vieux Port going to the Chateau d'If (think Count of Monte Cristo) and a couple of other tiny islands, and longer ones to the Calanques of Cassis.  And one of those little tourist trains which chugs  around and it goes up to the Basilica of Notre Dame de la Garde for the wonderful views, and  a couple of HOHOS. The little train and HOHOS leave from alongside the VP close to the historic building with the flags outside which is actually the Hotel de Ville. Also a few museums close by too. . And the shopping is excellent.

These suggestions would be the easiest to do  given their very close proximity to each other, but at the same time offer a number of  quite varied sights/attractions

Do read about the city and include the official Marseille Tourist Information website which I think is excellent (click for english version), Marvellous Provence, Tripadvisor and others,

Past threads, many of which will have info and ideas in them. Choose from these.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=marseille&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=462

As an aside, I would avoid le Panier neighbourhood as some of the streets are on inclines and some have steps.  And I think your day would already be filled with the earlier suggestions.

lots of online info waiting to be found.  Google is your best friend.

Edited by edinburgher

I was on the Equinox from Sept 5 - 14, and I did Celebrity's "Villages of Luberon" excursion.   It was long past lavender time, but the countryside was still lovely (even from a tour bus) - olive groves, vineyards, cypress trees, hillside towns.  The excursion included a visit to a lavender farm.  Sure, the demonstration was largely about selling products, but it was still interesting, and a lot of people on the tour were happily making purchases.

There were some inclines and steps when walking around the two towns.  It's a hilly area. I'll check my pictures to see if any will give you an idea of what the town streets are like.

In both towns, our guide took us on a short walk, and then we had time on our own.  You could skip the walk with the guide and stay on more level ground if you wanted to.  The towns are picturesque and have interesting shopping - food products, fashions, lavender products, decorative kitchen ware and other household decor items.  Few to none in the way of tacky souvenirs.   My suitcase was too full for me to buy stuff, but I still enjoyed browsing.  There were also plenty of places to relax over coffee or a cold drink.

I don't know anything about Marseille itself or St. Tropez, but I help this information helps you make your decision on what to do.  Enjoy the Equinox.  I certainly did.   

Edited by Joanne G.

St Tropez is fine, if you are going to be satisfied with an upscale seaside town with some nice beaches and shopping.   My advice, if you are not a beach person, is to consider going to Aix en Provence for the day.  That is a much larger city, it has an old town, decent shopping, some museums, decent restaurants, etc.  Aix is a relatively flat city (which matters to some walkers).

Another option is to simply stay in Marseille, but I have never felt comfortable recommending that option since DW and I are not big fans of Marseille.   But Marseille does have some decent food (especially its famous bouillabaisse)  and many tourists enjoy taking a short boat ride over the Chateau d'If.

Hank