Coach Transfer

Oldies123

Hi all cruisers, I have a question about a coach transfer.  After a couple of years for both hubby and me recovering from cancer, we are at long last embarking on a much needed cruise, shortly to sail on Iona from Southampton.  My question is, we have a coach transfer booked through Intercruises Portside and Shore services, (through P&O)  has anyone done this and if so , have any idea of  a) transfer time from Bolton to Southampton , b) on return journey the ticket does not give a pick up time from Southampton Port.. I've tried for 2 days to get through to them and ask (even email - no reply) anyone done this and can advise ? and lastly, do the coaches have onboard loos ?  I think they do a loo stop about half way hopefully.  Thanks to anyone who can help.

We have used Intercruises several times,

a) I can't  help with pick up times from Bolton because we go from Keele.

b) you will be told the time for thec return journey on board a few days before the end of the cruise.

c)  the coaches do have loos but the drivers often ask that they are only used if absolutely necessary, they have comfort stops at motorway service areas and prefer that passengers try to wait to go there.

Hi - I’ve done this transfer twice (from Glasgow).   The return coach will probably leave the port about 9.00am and I’d guess the time taken will be about 5 or so hours although I’m sure others will be able to give you a more accurate time.  Yes,  there are toilets on board the coaches and there will be a service station stop for refreshments.
I would be interested to know how you got travel insurance after your illnesses?   Did you find a company who would insure you but without cover for cancer?

I often use Intercruise from Carlisle and usually do a pickup at Bolton (from the hotel opposite the conference centre).If I remember correctly it is late morning, (my pickup is at 5am so I've usually dozed off by then) before a lunch stop at Norton Keynes services around 1pm (so maybe you can work out rough timings). 

Remember, even though you have taken the free coach option via P&O you still have to phone (no online option to book free coach unfortunately) Intercruise to book your seats quoting your P&O booking reference. They will then email all the details three weeks before your cruise.

Hi, I always go by intercruises from Bolton. ( Horwich actually the premier inn opposite the football ground). The coach leaves approx 07.30 Yes there are toilets on board. I would highly recommend this way to travel. You need to notify intercuises ( sometimes called cruise connect) of your booking with P&O and give them the booking ref number. The phone line is always busy so be patient they will eventually answer it. Once you have done this they will confirm your travel booking and you get your final confirmation about 2weeks before your cruise. One other point, The premier inn allows you to safely park your car there for £20 per week which is donated to charity.

2 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Hi - I’ve done this transfer twice (from Glasgow).   The return coach will probably leave the port about 9.00am and I’d guess the time taken will be about 5 or so hours although I’m sure others will be able to give you a more accurate time.  Yes,  there are toilets on board the coaches and there will be a service station stop for refreshments.
I would be interested to know how you got travel insurance after your illnesses?   Did you find a company who would insure you but without cover for cancer?

Hi, thanks for the info.  We do our insurance through the bank, they wrote to us earlier in the year to say they had changed their provider to Allianz, we contacted them and they were very competitive (so we thought anyway) as six months after my diagnosis and surgery, the quote with Staysure was ridiculous so we thought - that's it UK in future - and then to compound things hubby also got diagnosed with cancer, thankfully he is now clear although I am still on maintenance treatment, regular scans show I am stable with nothing nasty showing, so taking all into consideration (hubby also had a stroke 2020 and now has post stroke epilepsy)  Allianz were good enough for us to consider the cruise.   

Assuming you have phoned Intercruise and booked, they should send an email with a 'travel voucher' to you about three weeks before departure, which confirms, amongst other things, pick up point, departure time for both out bound and return journey's.

Edited by AlexMcSpot

1 minute ago, kevboy said:

Hi, I always go by intercruises from Bolton. ( Horwich actually the premier inn opposite the football ground). The coach leaves approx 07.30 Yes there are toilets on board. I would highly recommend this way to travel. You need to notify intercuises ( sometimes called cruise connect) of your booking with P&O and give them the booking ref number. The phone line is always busy so be patient they will eventually answer it. Once you have done this they will confirm your travel booking and you get your final confirmation about 2weeks before your cruise. One other point, The premier inn allows you to safely park your car there for £20 per week which is donated to charity.

Hi, we booked through the travel agent, and a couple of weeks ago she ran off our coach tickets which showed a departure time of 9.15, but no pick up time for the end of the cruise.  I have tried to get through to Intercruises numerous times to find this out, but given up each time after 20 mins. Also emailed them but they don't reply.  I'm presuming all ok as I have the coach tickets, just wanted to make sure we disembarked early enough.  Can you tell me how long the journey is please ??  Many thanks

3 minutes ago, AlexMcSpot said:

Assuming you have phoned Intercruise and booked, they should send an email with a 'travel voucher' to you about three weeks before departure, which confirms, amongst other things, pick up point, departure time for both out bound and return journey's.

Thanks, I have my tickets, but it only shows a departure time from Bolton, no pick up time at Southampton at the end of the cruise.

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

b) you will be told the time for thec return journey on board a few days before the end of the cruise.

c)  the coaches do have loos but the drivers often ask that they are only used if absolutely necessary, they have comfort stops at motorway service areas and prefer that passengers try to wait to go there.

thank you x

58 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

I often use Intercruise from Carlisle and usually do a pickup at Bolton (from the hotel opposite the conference centre).If I remember correctly it is late morning, (my pickup is at 5am so I've usually dozed off by then) before a lunch stop at Norton Keynes services around 1pm (so maybe you can work out rough timings). 

Remember, even though you have taken the free coach option via P&O you still have to phone (no online option to book free coach unfortunately) Intercruise to book your seats quoting your P&O booking reference. They will then email all the details three weeks before your cruise.

Thank you 

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

6 minutes ago, AlexMcSpot said:

2 minutes ago, kevboy said:

Yes normally leave Bolton before 8am and arrive at docks by 2.30 pm this also allows for 2 short refreshment breaks

Great, thanks so much for the info

on return the coach will not leave ship until all are safely aboard which is approx 9 am depends how quick everyone disembarks and gets their baggage to the coach. Disembarkation generally starts about 7.30 There are plenty of luggage porters to help you with doing this.

1 minute ago, kevboy said:

on return the coach will not leave ship until all are safely aboard which is approx 9 am depends how quick everyone disembarks and gets their baggage to the coach. Disembarkation generally starts about 7.30 There are plenty of luggage porters to help you with doing this.

Great, thanks so much

13 minutes ago, AlexMcSpot said:

Thank you, I have my travel vouchers already, but no pick up time from Southampton.

17 minutes ago, Oldies123 said:

Thank you, I have my travel vouchers already, but no pick up time from Southampton.

They've stopped putting departure times on as people used to panic when disembarkation was delayed or the info given by P&O differed from the instructions given by Intercruise shoreside staff.

When you arrive at Southampton a member of Intercruise shoreside staff will board the coach with information. They will tell you to ignore the instructions given by P&O to wait in a designated venue and to leave the ship as soon as you are ready. Self disembarkation (carrying ALL your own luggage) starts about 7am-7.30am. General disembarkation starts about 7.45am. Coaches will be waiting from 8am and will leave when everyone on their list is on board which can be 8.30am or 10am if luggage is misdirected or wheelchair assistance is needed.

Edited by FangedRose

19 minutes ago, Oldies123 said:

You won't get your return pick up time until you are on board. You receive all your disembarkation info a couple of days or so before you disembark.

The actual departure time your coach leaves Southampton is very much reliant on when all the coach passengers are on the coach.....unfortunately that can considerably delay coach departure if said passengers luggage goes missing or if the passengers themselves decide to change their plans and don't inform P&O or coach driver....very annoying and frustrating as all you want to do is get on your way & home

17 minutes ago, janny444 said:

You won't get your return pick up time until you are on board. You receive all your disembarkation info a couple of days or so before you disembark.

The actual departure time your coach leaves Southampton is very much reliant on when all the coach passengers are on the coach.....unfortunately that can considerably delay coach departure if said passengers luggage goes missing or if the passengers themselves decide to change their plans and don't inform P&O or coach driver....very annoying and frustrating as all you want to do is get on your way & home

Or as happened at the end of our Princess cruise on June the air bridge developed a problem and we had to wait while it was sorted out, we were sitting on the coach waiting for over an hour for the poor people who were stuck on the ship unable to disembark.

23 minutes ago, janny444 said:

thank you, that's helpful to know

56 minutes ago, kevboy said:

thank you

2 hours ago, Oldies123 said:

Hi, thanks for the info.  We do our insurance through the bank, they wrote to us earlier in the year to say they had changed their provider to Allianz, we contacted them and they were very competitive (so we thought anyway) as six months after my diagnosis and surgery, the quote with Staysure was ridiculous so we thought - that's it UK in future - and then to compound things hubby also got diagnosed with cancer, thankfully he is now clear although I am still on maintenance treatment, regular scans show I am stable with nothing nasty showing, so taking all into consideration (hubby also had a stroke 2020 and now has post stroke epilepsy)  Allianz were good enough for us to consider the cruise.   

Thank you for your reply.   I hope you have a lovely cruise. 

3 hours ago, Oldies123 said:

My understanding is that the ship will provide disembarkation information for all coach passengers, and an assembly location from which disembarkation will be organised.

• Like 1