dress code

RRACING

3 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

Since we are speaking of decorum in dress at dinner what about at the pool?

Is there a policy on no thong suits or speedos?

On my cruise in August, there was a 4 year old boy running around in his birthday suit - so there's that...

Edited by MonsterJoe
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JAGR said:

The latter section I referred to. Called Evening Wear in the MSC document:

Evening Wear

A more polished look is recommended for evening wear when dining in the Main Dining Rooms and Specialty Restaurants and while enjoying the entertainment in the theater, bars, and lounges. Collared shirts, tailored pants or shorts, skirts, and dresses are suggested

@JAGR

You are correct the policy is confusing and also different when staying in certain areas of the ship. We are taking our first cruise on MSC soon, which is in the Yacht Club. So we have only been advised as what would be required in YC, this is the information we have received.

To fully appreciate the exclusive ambiance of the MSC Yacht Club , dressing appropriately in its various venues is highly recommended.

MSC Yacht Club Restaurant:

To preserve the exceptional ambiance of this private restaurant we kindly ask you to dress in a way that complements its exclusiveness.

- By day: Feel at ease in casual wear, including t-shirts and tops, but to maintain a respectful atmosphere, swimwear must be avoided at any time.

- By night: We kindly ask that you dress in smart casual attire. This includes options such as dresses, skirts, long pants, jeans, and button-down tops. However, please avoid shorts and flip flops.

- For Gala evenings: An elegant and glamourous attire is strongly recommended with sophisticated outfits such as cocktail dresses, skirts, slacks, designer jeans, elegant dress tops, blazers, or even tuxedo suits and gowns.

MSC Yacht Club Top Sail Lounge:

- By day: Casual clothing, including t-shirts and tops, is perfectly acceptable, but we kindly request that you do not wear swimwear at any given time.

- By night: Smart casual attire is required for entry to the Top Sail Lounge. Feel free to wear dresses, skirts, long pants, jeans, and button-down tops. However, please avoid wearing shorts and flip flops.

MSC Yacht Club Grill & Bar: 

Wear your bathing costumes, t-shirts, tank tops, hats, and sunglasses as you please. Just remember that topless bathing is not allowed in this family-friendly area.

19 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

@JAGR

You are correct the policy is confusing and also different when staying in certain areas of the ship. We are taking our first cruise on MSC soon, which is in the Yacht Club. So we have only been advised as what would be required in YC, this is the information we have received.

To fully appreciate the exclusive ambiance of the MSC Yacht Club , dressing appropriately in its various venues is highly recommended.

To preserve the exceptional ambiance of this private restaurant we kindly ask you to dress in a way that complements its exclusiveness.

- By day: Feel at ease in casual wear, including t-shirts and tops, but to maintain a respectful atmosphere, swimwear must be avoided at any time.

- By night: We kindly ask that you dress in smart casual attire. This includes options such as dresses, skirts, long pants, jeans, and button-down tops. However, please avoid shorts and flip flops.

- For Gala evenings: An elegant and glamourous attire is strongly recommended with sophisticated outfits such as cocktail dresses, skirts, slacks, designer jeans, elegant dress tops, blazers, or even tuxedo suits and gowns.

- By day: Casual clothing, including t-shirts and tops, is perfectly acceptable, but we kindly request that you do not wear swimwear at any given time.

- By night: Smart casual attire is required for entry to the Top Sail Lounge. Feel free to wear dresses, skirts, long pants, jeans, and button-down tops. However, please avoid wearing shorts and flip flops.

Wear your bathing costumes, t-shirts, tank tops, hats, and sunglasses as you please. Just remember that topless bathing is not allowed in this family-friendly area.

For the most part, this is accurate. I did notice a man in shorts - but he was dressed nicely (collared shirt, dress shorts, boat shoes) - and I also notice a man in t-shirt (not worn, nice "dress" jeans - in both cases, I imagine the crew make judgement calls...based on other factors such as likeability, ease of interaction, mood, time-to-deal-with-things...who knows...but the majority of passengers were dressed in pants and collared shirts at least. I saw no men in open toed footwear.

In Top Sail, 'by night' I would say that it was even more aligned with these guidelines - granted, TS did not ever seem busy throughout the week after dinner - but those who stayed and enjoyed Felipe's Finger Flourished Flamenco Guitar, or Bernard's Breathtaking Dulcet Tones all appeared to be dressed for the occasion.

The pool deck on the other hand...well lets just say ...you know what, lets not say anything.

Edited by MonsterJoe
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MonsterJoe said:

On my cruise in August, there was a 4 year old boy running around in his birthday suit - so there's that...

And you were surprised why? 

Just be thankful it was not a 70 year old man !    😇

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

And you were surprised why? 

Just be thankful it was not a 70 year old man !    😇

69, not 70, thank you very much! In my defense, I thought I was in St. Tropez! 😉🥴

Edited by JAGR
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, seasickphil said:

@JAGR

If you are comfortable abiding by these guidelines, you'll be fine. You will be among the 95% of us that follow this!

The fact that they are  suggestions and not rules, and that they leave some discretion to staff seems appropriate. Just like in the corporate world, business casual in words vs. actions can be very different. I believe the overall impression is most important, not the precise description of the clothing.

I will say that making a good impression on the first night will get you seated with one of their best servers and that can make a huge difference in your overall cruise experience.

As long as you know this and make an informed decision, you are in the best position. 

Edited by Best Cat Mom
  • Like 6

On 9/20/2024 at 9:24 AM, JAGR said:

I know that Morpheous will come down hard on me for attempting to once again inject syntax and meaning,

I don't know if I am the same Morpheus as you are indicating, but I have never "come down hard" on any one for their style of dress. As a matter of proof I always like to post the daily program and its request. I also like to highlight the statement in the program " your attire should fit your own level of elegance."  Just pointing out not everyone has the same level of elegance. Besides I would have nothing to look down my very long nose at if everyone dressed at the same level of elegance. I would have nothing to write about on social media. What fun is in that ?

As for you personally, I have nothing but the highest regard for your expertise in most every area, except proofreading your posts for spelling errors just like myself not proofreading my own. I have more than once had to look to Mark Twain to defend my spelling of some words."I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." As you are quick to catch me. 

P.S. One of my mistakes you caught and rubbed my nose in it. cloths instead of clothes.

PPS I have a bottle with your name on it.

GALA.jpg

Edited by morpheusofthesea

3 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way."

A synonym is a word a person uses when they cannot spell the original word they wanted to use. (This is me!) - Unknown

• Like 3

Over all the years the "long pants in MDR" (for Westerners, of cause traditional African and Arab attire is fine also) rule was basically the only dress code that was really enforced. Yes, also for teenagers. But maybe in some regions MSC has already given up on this also. 

Apart from this MSC always made clear, it is your cruise, your holiday, your gala night, your elegant night, your party. Join the gala or not, follow the recommendations or not, whatever you like. As @morpheusofthesea wrote "your attire should fit your own level of elegance."

Edited by perakcruiser
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I don't know if I am the same Morpheus as you are indicating, but I have never "come down hard" on any one for their style of dress.

I never suggested you would. I can only assume you are erudite enough to have read the entire post (as well as other comments I added during this discussion). What I referenced (and you quoted), was that I feared you would, "Come down hard on me for attempting to once again inject syntax and meaning." That was my point, not manner of dress. On dress, I think you and I agree: Dress how you like, just remember you are in the company of others. My only other point in this tread is that I wish if MSC wanted a policy (such as dress code, or hand washing before entering the buffet line, for instance), is that they make the policy clear and specific and enforce it. Perhaps you and I could take the lead and guide MSC on writing without errors! 😉🥴 Never mind! You and I may not be the best to lead that effort. Lol!

As for you personally, I have nothing but the highest regard for your expertise in most every area, except proofreading your posts for spelling errors just like myself not proofreading my own. I have more than once had to look to Mark Twain to defend my spelling of some words. "I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." As you are quick to catch me. 

P.S. One of my mistakes you caught and rubbed my nose in it. cloths instead of clothes. Ah, now begins the coming down on grammar! Well played! As I have mentioned to you before, I readily admit to committing typographical errors, indeed at a rate that far exceeds yours or a normal person's rate. I have to warn that it will get worse, having lost my in-house adviser on communication (and all other!) mistakes and potential improvement. On a side note, I think you must have studied Oscar Wilde at some point! The ability to make a jab at someone while couching it in a self-deprecatory statement.

PPS I have a bottle with your name on it. 

Appreciated. I sincerely hope to actually interacting with you on a sailing at some point.  I do appreciate your observations and read them thoroughly, Keep up the effort!

• Like 2

This subject is discussed and cussed to death. Why don't the monitors just block this subject all together. It will never be what everyone wants it to be. 

Dress as you like. MSC, Celebrity, RCI, Princess, HAL & NCL let anything go. Very seldom challenge anyone. Been on all of them in the past year and see there is no rule, enforcement, etc. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oxo said:

This subject is discussed and cussed to death. Why don't the monitors just block this subject all together. It will never be what everyone wants it to be. 

Dress as you like. MSC, Celebrity, RCI, Princess, HAL & NCL let anything go. Very seldom challenge anyone. Been on all of them in the past year and see there is no rule, enforcement, etc. 

Everything on the Internet is discussed to death. In my opinion, the entire point of forums is discourse, and if moderators block topics, there's no reason to be here.

One is free to not click on and/or read threads that are of no interest to them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm on Divina right now. Last night was elegant night. I wore shorts and a shirt to the main dining room for dinner and had no issues, just as I haven't had any issues on the 6 other MSC cruises I've been on. Those saying "you must wear long trousers" and judging those who choose not to need to stop. And if what other people wear affects you, then that says more about you than it does them! Having a lovely cruise so far and will continue to wear shorts to dinner night after night. 

1 hour ago, nikoo.s said:

Those saying "you must wear long trousers" and judging those who choose not to need to stop.

That is not the point of dressing up.

No one is "hated" in the YC. (Well maybe a few, like me for instance). I just like to point out that there are just a few venues where the guests are asked to dress up and play the part. I really do not care how one is dressed, actually for us it is dinner and a show at the same time. I actually seat myself in a corner with my back to the crowd. It's DW who enjoys the show. I still like to work in my retirement and still dress up with my black long pants, maroon long sleeve Thai silk shirts and black bow ties every work day. Going on cruises allows me to wear all the custom made jackets I had made cruising to Hong Kong and Thailand. I stand out in a crowd like a peacock. Now if everyone abided by the dress codes I would be lost in the crowd no longer a 'spectacle' and just another well dressed snob. I like it the way things are. Here is this point of view.

Another variable in how one may be treated 'differently' by staff in hotels or cruises is in the way one presents oneself.  Four and five star venues go to a lot of trouble and expense to create an 'atmosphere of top notch elegance' and one fails to rise to the occasion and shows great disrespect by dressing in shorts, etc.

We would extend this to every meal when we cruise nowadays. "When you pay for a stay in a hotel, you also pay for the comfort, amenities, and services of a hotel, but it does not necessarily mean that you can do and act whatever you like and however you feel. There are hotel manners that you must take note of. Courtesy and respect beget the same, and knowing what to wear for breakfast in a hotel is a basic manner that makes a big difference. Most hotels establish a formality culture in dining for breakfast as a sign of respect and consideration for other guests and the staff. Unless your breakfast wear is as comparable to your smart-casual wear, that wouldn’t be a problem." https://thealcazar.com/what-to-wear-for-breakfast-in-a.../

https://tableagent.com/article/dressing-to-dine-dress-codes-defined/  you can understand why dress codes are sometimes suggested by eateries of a certain merit: they wish for their guests to experience the world they have created. You can savor the luxury of top-notch service best when you too look and feel first-rate. The essence of fine dining is to take patrons out of their ordinary lives, and for two hours, allow them to bask in the extraordinary experience of their choice. To truly be a part of such a supreme culinary happening—one must look the part and one must dress to dine.

Not required BUT "Why you should always dress when you go out to eat. Yes, it still matters. By Sam Dangremond, Town & Country. John Winterman, who used to work for Daniel Boulud as maître d' at Daniel, and for Charlie Trotter before that, and asked if he thinks dressing up for dinner still matters."

"Absolutely," said Winterman, who's now managing partner at Batârd in New York City. "I break it down into self-respect and respect for others." Would someone's appearance affect the table they were assigned at, say, Daniel?

"On the record, yes," he said. "If someone comes in making an effort and looking fabulous and glamorous and they know they're in for a premium experience at a premium price, you give them a fabulous table in the middle of the room. And people react to that, when they see a crowd that's well-dressed and beautiful and sparkling."

• Like 1

21 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I have no words and must compose myself just reading this. Nothing anyone could say to me would assuage my grief. I am sorry.

Thanks! Much appreciated. I did get to spend 45 years with a best friend and partner in crime. It was a bit hard being a solo cruiser on the last trip, but was able to arrange a small ceremony to put some of her ashes out to sea. I know that is not a normal activity for butlers to arrange, but it was much appreciated!