Long Bay Beach (Cruise Excursion) Questions

ajtraveler66

We prefer to take ship's excursions.  That said, we'll be on the NCL Prima in January with a stop in Tortola.  There is an excursion for Long Bay Beach and it looks like a very nice beach (have seen some pix and lots of positive comments on this board).

Does the cruise transportation stop at an area that is near the vendors where you can purchase chairs, food, and beverages?

Do you think we would be safe to book the excursion a day or two in advance?  The reason I ask this is that if the weather looked 'iffy' we could take a pass.  If we buy it way in advance and the weather is bad .... well, we're sort of stuck.

15 hours ago, ajtraveler66 said:

We prefer to take ship's excursions.  That said, we'll be on the NCL Prima in January with a stop in Tortola.  There is an excursion for Long Bay Beach and it looks like a very nice beach (have seen some pix and lots of positive comments on this board).

Does the cruise transportation stop at an area that is near the vendors where you can purchase chairs, food, and beverages?

Do you think we would be safe to book the excursion a day or two in advance?  The reason I ask this is that if the weather looked 'iffy' we could take a pass.  If we buy it way in advance and the weather is bad .... well, we're sort of stuck.

The weather that day can be VERY different than the forecast even two days prior. So booking “last minute” before you arrive doesn’t guarantee nice weather. And being a smaller beach - as compared to Cane Garden Bay - lounge availability may be an issue.

For Tortola a cruise line excursion is really not needed. You will have the same experience at CGB, but will not be tied a group and will have more time. Taxis line up to take everyone back to port whether you are on an excursion or on your own.

I don’t know if you can rent lounges on your own at Long Bay, Beef.

(this is the Beef Island Long Bay and not the beautiful Long Bay, West End correct?)

1 hour ago, blue_water said:

The weather that day can be VERY different than the forecast even two days prior. So booking “last minute” before you arrive doesn’t guarantee nice weather. And being a smaller beach - as compared to Cane Garden Bay - lounge availability may be an issue.

For Tortola a cruise line excursion is really not needed. You will have the same experience at CGB, but will not be tied a group and will have more time. Taxis line up to take everyone back to port whether you are on an excursion or on your own.

I don’t know if you can rent lounges on your own at Long Bay, Beef.

(this is the Beef Island Long Bay and not the beautiful Long Bay, West End correct?)

Yes, it indicates "Beef Island".  Thanks for your comments.  Worth some consideration.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ajtraveler66 said:

Yes, it indicates "Beef Island".  Thanks for your comments.  Worth some consideration.

I should add that CGB is a nice, large beach, with several beach restaurants and a water sports rental. So that attracts a much larger crowd. LB, Beef s a gorgeous beach and was our choice when cruise ships were in. 
So your research is spot-on regarding LB, Beef. I wish someone who has been recently could help with the question of lounge availability last minute, and if DYI’s can rent them…?