Longshoremen Strike Impact on Carnival?

Earthworm Jim

There's a potential longshoreman strike at the end of the month.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/major-maritime-strike-threaten-ports-east-coast-ila-usmx-rcna171914

I know little of longshoreman's role in cruising, but I assume they load all the supplies, and maybe the luggage. Does anyone know whether Carnival has a plan if this happens? Could it potentially cause cruise cancellations, if supplies can't be loaded?

From a similar thread on the "Ask A Cruise Question" forum by poster "Bill Miller".

"I spoke to a Longshoreman foreman yesterday at the Port of Tampa. The Longshoreman's Union has an agreement in place with the cruise lines. Cruise lines will not be part of the impending work stoppage action. So your cruises are safe."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

The cruise ships are big pay, short work deals for the longshoremen, so they typically carve out exemptions to allow the ships to be worked.  However, the strike may delay shipments needed by the cruise ships from being unloaded in EC ports for forwarding to the ships.  This can cause maintenance problems and shortages of some items during later cruises.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

18 hours ago, Bollycats said:

This article says cruises are not necessarily safe. There could be problems ahead. I'm concerned as I have a cruise in early October that will be affected.

https://www.cruisehive.com/major-strike-planned-across-us-ports-how-it-could-impact-cruises/145184

I don't see this as anything in your control.  All you can do is wait and see. Good Luck

On 9/22/2024 at 3:22 PM, chengkp75 said:

This can cause maintenance problems and shortages of some items during later cruises.

Genuine question, not trying to downplay the potential impact, but couldn't dire things be diverted to a non-US port like Nassau, Private Island, or even Cozumel?

I would guess that food may have certain safety requirements, but maintenance parts should be able to be picked up just about anywhere. 

Edited by ChrisCJR
Spelling

2 minutes ago, ChrisCJR said:

Genuine question, not trying to downplay the potential impact, but couldn't dire things be diverted to a non-US port like Nassau, Private Island, or even Cozumel?

I would guess that food may have certain safety requirements, but maintenance parts should be able to be picked up just about anywhere. 

To divert a container to another port, the container needs to be offloaded from the ship headed to the US either before or after calling at the US, and then there needs to be a ship from that port to where the cruise ship is going to call.  All this takes time, about as much as the strike will.

• Like 1

I feel a little better after reading this, but I'm still not counting my chickens until I step aboard the ship next week!

The ILA on Wednesday said its members would continue to handle all military cargo in the event of a strike, and would also continue to work passenger cruise vessels so as not to inconvenience "the tens of thousands of Americans who have booked trips in advance."

East Coast port strike looms for first time since 1977. Here's what to know. - CBS News

• Like 1

We sail on Venezia on Oct 4, when we heard about this over the weekend we definitely paused to say the least.  It appears cruising will be largely unaffected.  I do wonder if it may delay embarkation though.

It's a pretty big deal here in NOLA, as you all can imagine. No impact on cruise travel. The supplies are usually local products trucked in and and they will keep doing luggage of course. Agreements already in place. Port economy is going to take a big hit if they can't come into an agreement, however.

2 hours ago, edrussell said:

We sail on Venezia on Oct 4, when we heard about this over the weekend we definitely paused to say the least.  It appears cruising will be largely unaffected.  I do wonder if it may delay embarkation though.

Me too. Just one week left.

Crossing fingers, but everything I've seen so far indicates we should be fine.