So which 3 ships is Carnival testing simplified menu in steak house?

quo

Saw this early and would love to know which 3 steak house restaurants. Have upcoming reservations on Venezia and Mardi Gras and would love to know if these two ships are affected.  thank you!!

"The elegant restaurant, which is found on 25 of Carnival’s 27 ships, has been quietly testing a simplified menu on three ships that removes the side dishes and shrinks the portions of the sides that are provided – which guests were quick to notice. 

Some posted photos of the limited menu and complained that their entree only came with a small “dollop of mashed potatoes and one carrot” on Facebook."

LOTS of hullabaloo about this on the Book of Face, and John Heald has commented about it too. He doesn't list the 3 ships but from posts I've seen from passengers, it's the Excel class ships. He (and passengers) have confirmed that if you don't like the included sides, you can "swap them out", but to me, that doesn't indicate if old sides like the mac n cheese (that aren't listed on the new menu) are part of the swaps.

Anyway, here's John's post:

image.thumb.png.6c680af5215f4c9c3c43b4199cd250aa.png

And a page of the "new" menu where the included sides are listed:

image.thumb.png.0f049001c177d2a49ead6143f136ed24.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i got a feeling carnival is going to increase the prices to the steakhouse with this new simplified  menu. this is what most land based restaurants do. Update menu, reduce portion size and increase pricing. yay for paying more for less

26 minutes ago, PinaCarada said:

LOTS of hullabaloo about this on the Book of Face, and John Heald has commented about it too. He doesn't list the 3 ships but from posts I've seen from passengers, it's the Excel class ships. He (and passengers) have confirmed that if you don't like the included sides, you can "swap them out", but to me, that doesn't indicate if old sides like the mac n cheese (that aren't listed on the new menu) are part of the swaps.

Anyway, here's John's post:

image.thumb.png.6c680af5215f4c9c3c43b4199cd250aa.png

And a page of the "new" menu where the included sides are listed:

image.thumb.png.0f049001c177d2a49ead6143f136ed24.png

Appreciate the information.  Just saved me some money.  Sad to see this change.

16 minutes ago, lasvegascruising said:

Oh crap!  I did not know about this change.  I booked the steakhouse for our Jubilee cruise beginning of December 2024 and it is paid in full.  I guess we will give it a try.

We were on the Jubilee last month and went to the steakhouse.  At the time I could not really put my finger on it but it seemed like the quality and the quantity really were down.  We usually attend the steakhouse on the first night when we cruise.  I will probably not go to the steakhouse on the excel class ships if this is the new norm.  Also, for the record we were not impressed with Rudi's Seagull either.  We really enjoyed Emeril's Bistro and Chibang.

I miss the wasabi mash potatoes!

It wouldn’t be a huge deal if there were more sides to swap. Broccoli, mushrooms, or a baby carrot and Yukon mash or skillet potatoes. Maybe there are other options listed with the other entrees? I’m surprised a baked potato isn’t an option. 

I think I’d rather pay full menu prices and have real selections than a simplified menu that still runs $50pp. 

Hopefully this test will start and end on the Excel class ships. I go the steak house about every other cruise on the first night but if that menu went fleet wide I would no longer book, as the value for me would not equal the price.