Not so sensational Sensation review

jeepgirl30

Sorry to hear about your experiences. We sailed the Sensation twice when she was doing 7 day cruises and had no problems. I would definately write a letter to Carnival to let them know about your experiences. Be specific with names if you know them (especially the comment by your waiter about going to the Lido deck if you want a buffet). If you don't know your waiter's name look at your sail and sign card and give them the table #. If not just your name and confirmation #. No one should speak to the passengers the way people spoke to you. In all likelihood carnival will reply to you and give you a discount of either 10% or 15% if your lucky off your next cruise as long as it is within 18 months. sounds like you are not planning a cruise soon so just think of it as letting them know what is going on so they can fix it. If they don't know about it then it will continue to happen to others.

thanks for your review.

Mardi Gras 4/1988

NCL Norway 8/1990

Sensation 8/1996

Sensation 4/9/2000

Paradise 2/1/2002

Triumph 1/31/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;9;5;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

9/5 Paradise- Panama Canal

What is really amusing about the tip on the drink is that you don't get to write it in. It was a key punch error on the server's behalf. The purser should have realized that.

Triumph 7/8/00 (Eastern)

Triumph 7/28/01 (Western)

Glory 7/26/03 (Eastern)

Fantasy 7/4/04 (4 Night)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Philly Steve:

We Americans seem to have plenty of "attitude" while traveling. Wonder if that's part of the problem. You're dealing with an international staff.

But, it's true that you have to fight for yourself. Every vacation seems to have its own glitches.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Steve..

That's part of the problem...

I had 'absolutely' NO problem...using a warm smile and sincere attitude..and MANNERS.

They lit up instantly...because I really CARED about treating them like they were JUST as important as I was....which they ARE!

More than once, I had different ones telling me.."You don't have to say 'excuse me'..it's your vacation."

To which I replied..."Yes, I 'do' have to say it..."

Getting the picture??

Sensation 5/15/2004

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

We sailed the Sensation Feb 2003. The ship is older. We had a good time. My dh and I decided no more older ships for us. This was not our first cruise. My kids absolutely loved the ship. This was their first cruise.

I can say some negative things about the ship. However I can't say anything negative about the staff. They were absolutely wonderful!!!! We sailed President's Day week which is famous for families/kids.Kids spent time with their families.

I hope your next cruise is much more what you expect!

No longer cruiseless...donations still accepted! Miracle 2/2005

Last cruise

Sensation 2/17/03

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Getting the picture?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Bird, I agree! Kindness goes a long way.

I see someone didn't like my previous opinion about an open mind & fun attitude. Go back & read the original post. How many times was ICE mentioned? It seemed to be the trigger point. lol You have to learn to choose your battles. Laugh at the small stuff & deal with the larger issues.

I too had a bad cruise on a Carnival ship but did not let it ruin my whole week or change my mind about cruising again.I won't go into it but mine was worse than the few minor details she listed.

It is still my opinion...a cruise is only as good as you make it. If you go with a negative attitude, judging every little thing, the small issues seem to turn into bigger ones.

Let's all go cruising & have a good time. That is what we are here for. icon_biggrin.gif

Valor 10/30/05 Miracle 2/13/05

Sensation 10/04

Conquest May 2003

Holiday Sept 2002

Inspiration 2001

Celebration 2000

Crown Princess 1999

Oceanic (Big Red Boat) 1998

Days til Sensation Cruise from the Bayou

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

saintsinners.gif

Days til Miracle Partae Pirates Cruise from Tampa

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;02;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

jeepgirl30, I sympathize with you. We were on the Sensation last Sept. and I agree, most of the staff was just BLAH! Not bad, but not the usual happy, friendly folks you want to get to know and enjoy. And yes, quite a few act like they haven't a clue. We also had the dead battery problem with the safe, but before we could even use it. We had to use DW's BIL cabin safe for 2 days before someone fixed ours and then it took a 30 minute conversation to get purser to realize the items still in the safe, which included a medical id with picture, were not ours.

Did that cruise put me off cruising, nope. We've a group cruise booked for this Sept., that I arranged (see sig). But I definitely think we'll stick to the 7-day trips, seem to get better service.

thebird, it's one thing to be polite and use manners, but it's a whole other thing to think it's our responsibility to make the cruise staff happy. They are on the ship because that is the job they decided they wanted. And you telling jeepgirl her problems arose from her attitude is just ridiculous. If I would have had a crew member tell me I had enough ice, they would have definitely gotten less of a tip, and the way she handled the $744 "tip" was far and beyond polite. If you don'tmind being treated poorly and can wave it off with a smile, then that's your progative, but don't assume everyone else should do the same.

BrendaB1, she never said the "details" she talked about ruined her cruise, just that the cruise was not as nice as her previous and was disappointed about that.

What is it about people needing to tell others whether or not they should have enjoyed their cruise. Let's just accept the reviews as they're written and stop placing judgement on people we don't personally know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Getting the picture??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike

Family & Friends 1st time on the Destiny

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;09;12;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

[This message was edited by dms_cruisers04 on 06-20-04 at 12:45 PM.]

I enjoy every minute of my cruises and hope the rest of you do too.

I don't know about you...but I'll be the one having FUN onboard the ship.

Sorry you don't agree with my opinion...but you know, everybody has one. EXCUSE ME for expressing mine. I thought that was what these boards were for. Have a good day all. Happy sailing to all of you. icon_biggrin.gif

Valor 10/30/05 Miracle 2/13/05

Sensation 10/04

Conquest May 2003

Holiday Sept 2002

Inspiration 2001

Celebration 2000

Crown Princess 1999

Oceanic (Big Red Boat) 1998

Days til Sensation Cruise from the Bayou

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

saintsinners.gif

Days til Miracle Partae Pirates Cruise from Tampa

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;02;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

valorvampires.gif

Thank you for your review. We sail on the Sensation next month so were a sad to see that the crew seemed rather burnt out to you and several posters. Surprised about the dirty bathrooms too, as we have not encountered that. I do hope you let Carnival know. Maybe they will move to rectify the situation, and thereby help future cruisers (like us). Glad the food was good though. My fingers are still crossed that we will have a wonderful time, meet fun people and encounter those staff who are enjoying their jobs as well.

Donna

Jeepgirl, thanks for giving a well balanced review of your cruise. I for one enjoy reading both the good and bad. Your trip on the Sensation sounded just like my trip several years ago on the Fascination.

For the ones of you that feel people need to overlook certain things and go with the flow, you were not the one experiencing this cruise and did not give your hard earned money for a vacation. The OP gave both positive and negative aspects of her cruise. The OP's first sentence stated "All in all the trip was good." I call that fair. She had too many little things that were not right and that can add up and take away from the overall enjoyment of a cruise. "THAT" is what this board is for.

To the OP, I would contact my credit card company ASAP and let them know of that ridiculous charge that Carnival would not settle and dispute it just in case they do not remove it. It seems to me that the purser you dealt with did not have any common sense to think that someone would tip over $700.00 for a five dollar drink.

I think that when you desribe the problems that you did, it comes to bad management on the ship. This starts with the Captain and goes down through the staff. The crew on a ship always changes when contracts are up. So you have people coming and going at all times but it is up to the managers to insure that the staff is happy with their jobs.

I would take a seven day cruise in a heartbeat. Maybe try another line besides Carnival to see if it would be to your liking. I have found that Carnival has rules in place for such things as unruly kids but they do little to enforce it. That is where the problems start. Have a great time on your next cruise.

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

9/02/2004 Fantasy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;9;2;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Navigator of the Seas 12/04/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Hi,

I sailed on the Sensation in May 2004 and the public restrooms were always dirty. I did contact Carnival to let them know of this problem but obviously they haven't taken any steps to solve it. As for the ice issue I kept leaving a note to my room steward (no clue what his name was as he never introduced himself) to over stock the ice. Needless to say I would make the climb to Lido deck and get extra ice up there. I wasn't aware room service delivered ice but then why should you have to order ice and then provide a tip. I am planning on sailing Carnival again in Jan. and will stay away from the older ships. Until this cruise I have sailed RCCL and didn't find the Sensation staff as friendly, other than George the Greek in the dining room. He was fantastic.

Explorer of the Seas 4/17/05

Carnival Sensation 5/15/04

Navigator of the Seas 4/03

Voyager of the Seas 4/02

The service has nothing to do with the age of the ship. I cruised on the Fantasy twice last year and had a great time with great service and a friendly crew. The Fantasy is one of Carnival's oldest ships in the fleet. So staying away from the older ships is not the answer. As I stated in an earlier post, it has everything to do with the management on the ships. If they do their job and set the proper example then the rest of the crew will follow.

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

9/02/2004 Fantasy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;9;2;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Navigator of the Seas 12/04/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

As far as the comment from the waiter in the dining room, if he or she said it to me, I would immeidately ask for the person in charge of the dining room, and explain his comment and in front of them both explain why I would not be tipping for dining room service. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Automatic tips are also to be earned, not just a convenience for Carnival to gouge us. I hate that paying 15 % for a stinking cup of coffee at the coffee bar on Miracle, for them doing nothing but handing the cup of coffee to me.

Jim

Carnival Miracle 3/04/04

Carnival Celebration 1/15/05

Zaandam in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;23;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I'm sorry to hear you had so many little glitches on the Sensation. She was our first ship. We were so green then that if anything went wrong for us personally, I don't remember what it could have been. We were just happy to be on our first cruise and, since I hadn't yet found CC, had no expectations other than to have the time of our lives.

That's not to say that there weren't issues that affected the entire ship. First, we were delayed to stand by another Carnival ship that had been disabled. We took it in stride. Next, because there was a tropical storm out there, we could not tender into Grand Cayman and had to proceed to Cozumel. At this point a good number, although not a majority, of the passengers disembarked the ship and headed home. Our thoughts were, we were on a great adventure and if they were that upset, fine, more ship and staff left for us! icon_biggrin.gif

If I had experienced today the kind of service and treatment that you did, I would have been upset, too. Not enough to ruin my cruise as we can always find the positive as well as the negative, but enough to make it a bit of a disappointment. Now we know that when things like this happen, we can report it to someone higher up immediately and hopefully have the issues resolved quickly.

I do hope you find your next ship and crew in better shape and that your cruise will be much better. Thanks for a balanced and honest review!

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

[quote

thebird, it's one thing to be polite and use manners, but it's a whole other thing to think it's our responsibility to make the cruise staff happy. They are on the ship because that is the job they decided they wanted. And you telling jeepgirl her problems arose from her attitude is just ridiculous. If I would have had a crew member tell me I had enough ice, they would have definitely gotten less of a tip, and the way she handled the $744 "tip" was far and beyond polite. If you don'tmind being treated poorly and can wave it off with a smile, then that's your progative, but don't assume everyone else should do the same.

BrendaB1, she never said the "details" she talked about ruined her cruise, just that the cruise was not as nice as her previous and was disappointed about that.

What is it about people needing to tell others whether or not they should have enjoyed their cruise. Let's just accept the reviews as they're written and stop placing judgement on people we don't personally know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Getting the picture??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike

Yes, Brenda..

But, unfortunatly..

Kindness only goes 'so' far with some people..

Yes, Mike..

Let's DO stop 'judging' other peoples intentions by their actions..

You first...

Sensation 5/15/2004

valorvampires.gif

I never mentioned in my review that everytime I made a request or placed an order I did it with a please, thank you and HUGE smile. To me that is just second nature and something I just do so I don't remember to write I did it.

I did have fun. Its just I feel a little "let down" that it wasn't as fun as the last. I'm still concerned about the $744 charge and the extra bottle of wine charge that I was told I had to wait 3-4 weeks to see if it gets billed or not.

Its hard to change someones attitude with a bright smile when they won't even make eye contact.

I will write to Carnival. Not to get a discount or anything else but hopefully to get the staff a rest and help future cruisers.

Imagination 3/2003

Days until Sensation...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;6;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Well...

I AM 'let down' that your trip was not all it could have been for you

But..

To make my point again..

I will refresh your memory

(this is your response to my review)

"I am on Sensation in 12 days, 'so' I'm loving your review."

Analyze that

miss 'me'..'me'..'me'..

Sensation 5/15/2004

valorvampires.gif

This is not an excuse but I wonder if the service might be an outgrowth of that time of year when a lot of 'young adults' are cruising. Again not an excuse for the ship not being right but the damage these 'kids' can do it incredible.

I took a lesson from being in the same place as the a spring break, never again. I apply the same thinking to a cruise. The less time the 'young adults' have the same time off the better off I am.

As far as the 'kids' the 4 thru 12 year olds, well if parents can't control the older ones they sure can't the younger ones. But they're more of an annoyance than they are unruly and impolite.

I guess we have been lucky but we pick our cruise times carefully. Not everyone can thought.

As people begin to stay away from those 'young adult' cruises the cruise lines may begin to take notice. Doubt it but you never know.

We have been on curises with a good number of young adults but never seem to have a problem with them that we didn't see with adults.

The ice and service thing can be very annoying but am glad to see you were able to overcome those annoyances! Good for you! icon_smile.gif

1/16/05 Conquest Cruzin' Crazies! Better known as the Griswold Cruzin' Crazies)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;16;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

http://community.webshots.com/user/logoshoe

The poster has the right to express true feelings and impressions - after all, perception is reality. There is absolutely no excuse for rude employees - even if a passenger is rude to them! They are in a service industry and "service with a smile - regardless" is a must!

I was on the Sensation in April and had a wonderful time and found the crew to be very friendly and accommodating. There was really nothing that I felt I needed to bring to the attention of Carnival. All of the service people we dealt with even got extra tips. I am not a fan of the automatic tipping system, however, each of us has the option to withdraw tips if we feel the service is substandard. I have personally never had to do so, but I sure would if I had encountered the problems of "Jeepgirl."

The "teens gone wild" issue is not unique to just the cruising scene. Teens, in general, have become so sullen, rude, and self-centered that their unacceptable behavior is exhibited almost everywhere you go. It is somewhat magnified on a cruise ship because you are in closer quarters. Ever tried to walk through a mall on Friday night?!?! The scary thing is that these very people will be "taking care of me" when I grow old and feeble!

The $744.00 bar tip is so ridculous that it was pure arrogance that the Pruser did not immediately take care of it. Tips are automatic on bar bills! Common Sense should always be the rule.

Sometimes, you get the "luck of the draw" and things are as great as possible...sometimes you get the bad end and it is unfortunate. I would definitely write a letter to Carnival about negative experiences and list as many names and particulars as possible. As a business owner, I want to know when my employees do not represent my company the way I expect.

Even so, a day on a cruise is better than no day on a cruise! Blessings!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;4;03;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Sensational Cruise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bandmanken:

The poster has the right to express true feelings and impressions - after all, perception is reality. There is absolutely no excuse for rude employees - even if a passenger is rude to them! They are in a service industry and "service with a smile - regardless" is a must!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perception IS reality, to each of us..

Until we use our God given 'minds' to EXPAND our perception of reality...

Or simply 'change our minds'....

She 'has' expressed hers

So have I

The world is what we make of it

even WITH the sh#$ that will 'undoubtedly' happen...

Sensation 5/15/2004

valorvampires.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thebird:

Well...

I AM 'let down' that your trip was not all it could have been for you

But..

To make my point again..

I will refresh your memory

(this is your response to my review)

"I am on Sensation in 12 days, 'so' I'm loving your review."

Analyze that

miss 'me'..'me'..'me'..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I truely don't mean to be rude, but I just do not understand this one. Are you upset because she liked your review and was excited about her upcoming cruise? I have posted simular responses after reading a cruise review because it makes the one I'm about to take seem closer. The OP had things go wrong with the cruise, I think she showed a fair review, I wouldn't be happy either if some of those things happened to me. Everyone is indeed entitled to their own opinion and has the right to express it. I just wish we could show each other a little more respect when we do it.

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Jubilee - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess - 3/05

Valor - 10/05

valorvampires.gif

"Luck of the draw" is exactly right, BandmanKen.

Jeepgirl, I'm sorry you had some negative experiences. We were on the same trip, same floor, and we had a really great time.

We stayed mid-ship (M169) and our room and steward were great. We had ice every time we turned around and everything stayed clean and stocked. There was a slight smell a few times but not a strong one. We kept an air freshener right above the toilet, too.

Our waiters (CJ and Nelo) were super! CJ has a great sense of humor and the service was fantastic. They always had smiles (even at our 8:00 seating) and we had a lot of fun at their table every night.

I agree that the public bathrooms were dirty most of the time but we didn't use them much.

We had experience with the purser's desk the first day asking about some AAA coupons and the lady there called someone and found out they're usually delivered later the first day. Instead of just telling us that, she insisted that she'd go get them. She left and was back with them in 2 minutes. Everything on our bill was correct so no problems there either.

I certainly don't dispute anything that happened to Jeepgirl and I'd certainly talk to Carnival if I was her. It just seems we got lucky and had a totally different experience.

Everything overall was great. There weren't any big disappointments at all.

Thanks for an informative review, jeepgirl. I know many of us really DO appreciate the candour. Be classy and ignore (as we will) the rabid poster/s whose life is to check this thread every moment for another opportunity to 'respond'. Anyone who thinks the couple of thousand fellow passengers are all having exactly the same super-duper, FUN-FUN-FUN time as they are undoubtedly having isn't living in the real world.

Do the math. Maybe 3000 people of all ages in confined quarters for a week - bound to be some UN-smooth sailing, don't ya think?

Karen

Working hard to cruise hard!

Carnival Inspiration 10/98

RCCL Nordic Empress 01/04

Next up:

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;12;21;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Woo-hoo! Christmas on the Legend!

Jeepgirl, I recall reading many of your posts before you went on this cruise, and you asked many good questions, and seemed very excited about going! I think you went with a great attitude, and noticed how many positive things you had to say, as well! (Please ignore those who just can't stand hearing anything negative about "their" line). I thought your review was very-well written, and also very thorough! I appreciated it, as I know you spent a lot of time on your review, and were very honest in your experiences. The ice was no big issue - as you said - but the failure of the safe to work, the crappy behavior of unsupervised kids, the lack of A/C and the absolutely ridiculous addition of $744.00 as a "tip" are very valid reasons to voice your concerns! I don't really know anyone who would be "OK" with any of that, either. I'm sorry that some things went wrong for you, and BRAVO to you for pointing them out, as well as the things you did enjoy. Looks to me like "thebird" has been on a total of one cruise, but many of us have been on several, and I, for one, support your review and thank you for writing it. Best of luck on your next cruise, Jeepgirl!

Hi Jeepgirl30

Thanks for the candid review. I thought you incorporated both negatives and positives. I sailed on the Sensation July 2003. The smell in my bathroom nearly gagged me as soon I entered the room. The public restrooms were no better. I did mention our bathrom issue to our room steward and emailed Carnival. I had a great time anyway. I think it's okay to express your opinion and state your experience, good and bad. Will I cruise again? Absolutely, July 17th. Hope you get to cruise again and it be all you hoped.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;07;17;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

'Til the Triumph

Jeepgirl-

I read very quickly through this thread. We just got off Imagination and also experienced a negative attitude from some of the crew...it was nothing like that on our HM on Inspiration. Our waiters and steward fine but experienced rude staff on other parts of the ship. Our experience was overall average.

HM on Inspiration 3/9/03

Sovereign of the Seas 8/17/03 (Just Mom and I)

Imagination 6/17/04 (w/ the Inlaws!)

Archived