pre cruise hotel and transfers to ship - how does it work

38anchor

New to Regent and as we are sailing in a few weeks I am just trying to get as much info as I can. So we have booked Concierge and are therefore spending the night pre cruise in a hotel (Rome FYI). How does the transfers the next day work and is there a, 'average' time you get picked up? Normally on cruise hols, we like to book everything ourselves, including transfers so we are in control, but this is all new... Will we get this information before we fly or when we check into the hotel? Just wondering if we have time in the morning whilst in Rome to schedule something, or since the transfer is approx 60 mins will it be a late morning pick up.

So, I know we get transfers from the airport to hotel,. but how do we find out about hotel to ship. I am guessing its going to be (multiple) busses but are you assigned a bus, a time etc or is that you just turn up at reception at a designated time and its a free for all to fill the busses?

And what about luggage - are they taken down to reception and next time you seem them is in your cabin... so many questions I know and I realise its not a huge issue not knowing, but for me, I prefer to have an idea, especially any tips from seasoned and pro Regent cruisers :-).

It's (relatively) chill, depending on how many Regent passengers are in your hotel (could be quite a few).  When you check in to your hotel, you will be told several things:

1. What time luggage needs to be left outside the hotel room door in the morning to be transported directly to the ship;

2. What time breakfast is in the morning;

3. What bus number you will be on;

4. What time you should be in the lobby (groups are staggered, though depending on the size of the hotel lobby and how many Regent passengers and other groups are milling about, it can get a bit crowded);

5. Other information relevant to your particular situation (wheelchair accessibility, etc.).

It is a remarkably smooth process, though in the moment, it can seem overwhelming, given the numbers of people around.

A quick addendum to ysolde's Key Points.  

Upon Hotel check-in--Ask where the Regent "Hospitality Desk" is located.  You probably will NOT need to ask.  Staff will know from your Reservation you are with the Regent Group.  That Desk may well be within sight of the Check-in area.  

Go to the Hospitality Desk.  Folks there are NOT Regent employees; they are contractors.  You will be checked-off the List (of Concierge guests).  You will be given a handout with complete instructions as to--breakfast time, location in the Hotel, and so-forth. 

As to luggage:  Read the Instructions.  You may be asked to leave the bags (with Suite Tags attached) INSIDE your Suite and ready for pick-up.  That pick-up time is usually around 0800H.  You do NOT need to be in your Room.  You will probably be at breakfast. 

But, again.  Read the Instructions as to where to place the bags.  Could be hallway.   

The Reception Rep. may also hand you a color-coded tag indicating what time you should be in the Lobby to await transportation to Port.  

Point being:  Read those Instructions.  Any questions--talk to Reception Rep.  Those folks will (should) also be present on morning of departure in the Lobby to facilitate "herding the cats" (Guests) from Lobby to Bus.  

GOARMY

34 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

Point being:  Read those Instructions.  Any questions--talk to Reception Rep.  Those folks will (should) also be present on morning of departure in the Lobby to facilitate "herding the cats" (Guests) from Lobby to Bus.  

GOARMY

Is this the way stateside also?  We will be in the herd of cats at the Biltmore.    

Thanks 

Jay (go Air Force.... hehehe)

Adding to above, sometimes you are told to go to lobby at a certain time, sometimes there is a room set up with seats and (very) light refreshments like water, coffee, perhaps cookies. By then, your luggage will have been picked up.

Sometimes you are given a time to put luggage in hall - this is usually during the late evening.  Sometimes you are to leave near the door inside room - this is usually in the morning while most would be at breakfast.

There is limited room to bring a carry on type bag along with you if you must.

Sometimes the buses run like clock work.  Sometimes it is disjointed - was the last time in NYC!

dock:  

Yes.  Many Guests do.  But, if you do, notify the Regent Rep. so your name can be stricken from the Bus List.  This is a simple courtesy to soon-to-be fellow travelers.  Precludes a Rep. going around the marshaling yard area shouting out names of Guests who have not checked in to that Bus waiting which has been waiting outside.  

The same notification applies, of course, to leaving a Tour before the end to return to the ship on your own.  

GOARMY

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One additional thing to add, if you would like to be on an earlier or later bus you can definitely ask and they will accommodate you if they can. I asked to be moved to the first bus last time and the person behind me wanted to move later. They were able to move us both.

Greg

• Thanks 1

Triguy:

Yes, there is some "Order of March".  Applies to Guests at "Titanium" Loyalty Level and above.  There isn't much above Titanium except--Never Mind.  One 'perk for those at that level is being able to access their Suite by 1200H. 

Have tried to figure out this Order over the years.  It is a moving target.  Rest-assured:  the ship will not leave without you.  Usually, usually, the first bus departs the hotel around 1045H.  This allows Staff to get riffraff (previous segment Guests) off; and prepare Suites for new arrivals.  There are, usually, usually, three or four boarding Bus times extending to 1230H.  

But, as always, YMMV.  

Spouse and self have often just walked from hotel to Pier--depending on distance, weather, and how we are feeling.  Such has applied at Vancouver, B.C., Auckland, and Sydney.  We do not have bags to worry about.  The bags will get to the ship before you do.  

GOARMY

• Like 1

I can add that as far as luggage goes, there have been times when we have to verify that our luggage is present before it is loaded and before we are allowed to board the bus.  I guess that this is a safety heck to make sure that no luggage is left behind.  

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, dock said:

Can we arrange our own transfer to the port even though we’re accepting the hotel provided for the night? 

Yes you can. When we checked into the Biltmore, we just went to the RSSC Hospitality desk and told them we'd be driving our own car. But we were able to get our large luggage sent with the rssc group. In our case, we tagged luggage to be included and brought it to a place in the lobby, but this process will vary.

1 hour ago, Scout16 said:

I can add that as far as luggage goes, there have been times when we have to verify that our luggage is present before it is loaded and before we are allowed to board the bus.  I guess that this is a safety heck to make sure that no luggage is left behind.  

We have had this happen also.

As you queue to get on bus, you pointed out your pieces, and they then loaded them. 

Rarely, but can happen.