Insulin on Airlines

Texascruisers

you need to make sure you always take it with your carry on bags, never pack it in the checked bags. I place a cold pack in with my meds and syringes and take them right along with me without any problmes at all. When placed in checked bags you never can tell where it may go or jsut WHO may like what you have and take it without you knowing. All meds and anything of value should always go in the carry on bags.

Check with your pharmacist, but the insulin should be fine in the carry on with you, without an ice pack. Our local pharmacist had said it's fine to leave out for something like 3-4 weeks, but that may depend on insulin type. Make sure you have the pharmacy label, or prescription from your MD for the syninges as well, although if you have the insulin, I can't imagine them giving you a hard time.

dogdoc

Hi :)

I am a Pharmacist and what I would recommend is to take it in your carry on bag. But before going thru the X-ray checkpoint take it out and put it with your other keys and metal objects that don't get scanned. That way it isn't xposed to possible harmful X-rays. It will be fine un-refrigerated for 3-4 weeks as long as it isn't exposed to any High temperatures. The Rx lable should be enough to resolve ant legallity issues. Have a great trip. :)

It is always best to keep prescription drugs with you in your carry-on luggage. Some varieties of insulin like Humalog can be kept for 3-4 weeks at cool room temperatures.( I carry a daily dose in an eyeglass case with syringe and alcohol pads in my purse.) However some others, for example Lantus, must be kept refrigerated to maintain effectiveness. There are several varieties of carry packs that have packs that can be frozen for airline use. However....I would recommend that you carry a small 6-pack variety soft cooler bag to fill with plastic bags of ice in case you do not have access to a freezer. Room stewards will replace ice in your room if asked, if a frig is not available. You can have your Travel agent request a Frig but there will most likely be a charge and you will need a prescription from your MD to be faxed to the cruise line. We alwsys carry a prescription for the insulin and syringes with us though we have never been asked for it .

I hope this is helpful but please double check with your MD. Don't take the word of on line , well intentioned, message board posters.

Have a great cruise!

I am a Pharmacist and what I would recommend is to take it in your carry on bag. But before going thru the X-ray checkpoint take it out and put it with your other keys and metal objects that don't get scanned. That way it isn't xposed to possible harmful X-rays.

Keys and other metal objects DO get scanned. Small metal objects get placed in small bowls to get passed through the machine. Everything must pass through the screener's x-ray machine.

My husband always takes out the insulin and syringes so the guys can see what it is. Used to be that it didn't go through the X-ray machine, but many things have changed since 9/11. I don't know what an X-ray machine could see through metal though.

And always carry all medication in a carry on. Never let your meds get separated from you.

And as a diabetic, please remember to test more often when on vacation since you're more likely to go 'low' due to the extra activities and disrupted eating schedule.

Have fun!

Until I saw this thread, I had never heard of any harm coming to any diabetic supplies from x-rays. But since both my son and husband are diabetic, I thought I'd better do some research of my own.

After googling, I found out what the Joslin Institute has to say on this matter. They have always been my arbitrary fact standard. They say it's o.k. susana.

http://www.joslin.org/770_1329.asp

carry on bag with a cold pack --- needles and isulin should be in the boes with the pharmacy info on them ---we also carried a note from the doctor stating the need for the insulin------------told the screeners at the airport that we had insulin and needles and there was no problem either here oregon or at the airport on maui --------------do not pack drugs in your checked luggage ever

Archived