Bought Chanel eye shadow

zcat

Went to the Chanel counter in Nordstroms yesterday. Had someone "do" my eyes with a quad compact of eye shadow. Looked wonderful. She used a cream for under the shadow. I have a large amount of Mac under shadow, so, did not buy Chanel cream. I used the Mac today under shadow and I don't think that I love the result. Sooooo go back and get Chanels. Whats the point of all this WOW the price = $55.00 + $8.90%. Thats expensive. I will say it looks SUPER great and will be happy to use it. The eye color stick is $23.50 + the tax. I tried it and a drug store brand = no difference except the drug store is $6.99 Big dif., on that. Is it true that the eye shadow by Chanel does stay on longer?

Went to the Chanel counter in Nordstroms yesterday. Had someone "do" my eyes with a quad compact of eye shadow. Looked wonderful. She used a cream for under the shadow. I have a large amount of Mac under shadow, so, did not buy Chanel cream. I used the Mac today under shadow and I don't think that I love the result. Sooooo go back and get Chanels. Whats the point of all this WOW the price = $55.00 + $8.90%. Thats expensive. I will say it looks SUPER great and will be happy to use it. The eye color stick is $23.50 + the tax. I tried it and a drug store brand = no difference except the drug store is $6.99 Big dif., on that. Is it true that the eye shadow by Chanel does stay on longer?

Congrats! Hope you enjoy them! I love getting new eye shadows and other treats.

The Chanel DOES stay on longer, and keeps it's color better than a drug store brand...or at least any less expensive brands I know of.

An example would be I found a beautiful irredescent peacock color by Max Factor that I loved! Wore it to a dinner party, and it wasn't a couple of hours later that the color was far less vibrant. Bought the same color at Chanel...I can wear it all night and it looks great until I take it off.

My Chanel or Dior colors...they will last all day, looking quite fresh with no creasing, or the pigments bunching up in one area.

Since you don't use a lot of the product, it lasts for quite a while so I look at it like an investment.

Enjoy!

~e

~e

"Everybody" says that designer and lower high-end cosmetics are all the same and manufactured by the same facilities that make the cheaper makeup and just packaged differently. I don't buy that. I used to use Prescriptives and then started with Clinique, which is a little less expensive. A couple weeks ago I was in New York with some extra time to kill so I went to Saks. I was wandering around the Chanel department and the makeup artist from Guerlain asked if I wanted some blush and lipstick. Since I had been up since 4:30 am I was a little punchy by 5:30 pm and said okay. Lots of $$ later and not so much product, I walked out looking pretty good. I bought some foundation and meteorite powder, mascara, and lipstick and a serum.

I realized the next day when I applied the stuff myself, that they had a different feel and look. I'm sure I spent plenty extra on the exquisite packaging, but I like the look. I am going to try the eye shadows and blush when I get to Saks again this weekend.

Am I delusional or what?

--Judy

;)

I've been a huge fan of Chanel eye shadows for years. Yes, it's expensive, but it lasts all day and goes on so much easier. The consistency is great for more "mature" skin, it's creamier rather than powdery. Not that it's only for older women, anyone would be happy with it. The pigments are more concentrated, you don't need as much as other shadows and the poweder doesn't end up under your eyes and on your cheeks.

The difference for me is that I have (or had) a ton of eye shadows that just don't get used, they sit under the sink until they get thrown out. The Chanel shadows I use the very last bit.

I've tried MAC before, they have great colors, but it was just too dry for my skin. I felt like the stuff went everywhere but where I wanted it to be and it would smear when I tried to remove it from my cheeks with a cotton ball. I certainly hope the formula has changed, it has been several years since I tried it.

Lancome puts out a pretty good shadow also, but not as long lasting as the Chanel.

Hi, Mrsred,

I'm looking for a great peacock color. You found one in Chanel? Do you remember the name of the color? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Lynn

Sorry Lynn! The peacock color I was thinking about was from Nars, not Chanel. It's called rich teal shimmer in their Cleo duo.

I got them at Sephora.com

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P0250&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=S10501

How can I get those companies confused???

I was thinking of the blue in their 4 shadow kit (blue notes).

Sorry again! I keep forgetting my memory is going :)

I may be going to Nordstroms over the weekend, and I'll ask the sales person if Chanel has a peacock shade.

The pigments are more concentrated, you don't need as much as other shadows and the poweder doesn't end up under your eyes and on your cheeks.

The difference for me is that I have (or had) a ton of eye shadows that just don't get used, they sit under the sink until they get thrown out. The Chanel shadows I use the very last bit.

Exactly! They are the ones I always bring with me because I know I'll use them. And I'm not a chemist, but I can tell you the pigments are certainly different.

~e

Hi, again, Mrsred,

I've never used Nars eyeshadows, but I went to the link you posted. I really LIKE some of the color combinations. How do Nars eyeshadows compare with Chanel for consistency and quality? Do you like them as much?

I think it's time for me to make a trip to Sephora soon ... before my cruise, for sure. I need some special treats, and I love eyeshadow!

I'd really appreciate any recommendations here ... I'm especially looking for GREAT eyeshadow, blush, and lipsticks. Thanks!!!

Lynn

OK, I am easily influenced! That is my favorite store and now I must make a last minute trip! :)

I love it that they will give samples of everything!!!!!!!!

I've worked as a freelancer there a couple of times & it is pure torture to have to work & not shop!

I love Sephora!! And I also like the fact that they carry a ton of different brands so I can really compare. I tend to use moderately priced makeup (ie. Lancome) and I have always been pleased. VS sometimes has great colors too.

But, I think I will have to stop by Sephora this weekend and play now that I am thinking about it!!

Hi, again, Mrsred,

I've never used Nars eyeshadows, but I went to the link you posted. I really LIKE some of the color combinations. How do Nars eyeshadows compare with Chanel for consistency and quality? Do you like them as much?

I think it's time for me to make a trip to Sephora soon ... before my cruise, for sure. I need some special treats, and I love eyeshadow!

I'd really appreciate any recommendations here ... I'm especially looking for GREAT eyeshadow, blush, and lipsticks. Thanks!!!

Lynn

Hi Lynn!

I do like Nars..although I am devoted to Chanel and Dior, but Nars is certainly an excellent product and I love all of the different colors I can get at Sephora (like one stop shopping!).

I've never had any issues with the shadows fading or flaking or losing their vibrance.

I'm debating on if I want the Nars South Pacific duo or not...but it may be too blue for my green eyes.

Have fun and let me know what you get!

~e

Hi, Mrsred (e),

I'm going to check out Nars South Pacific, too. I looked at the color online, and it looks beautiful. We'll see ...

I'll post back here after I go play at Sephora, hopefully this weekend.

Lynn

Okay, I went semi-crazy. I went to Sephora and had a BALL.

I bought:

Chanel eyeshadow creams in Abysse and Delta. The makeup artist (somehow I ended up in his chair with him redoing part of my makeup) suggested these colors for my cruise in June (evening wear mostly although he suggested Delta all over the eyelid for daytime wear as well).

I also bought Paula Dorf under eyemakeup primer and eyeshadow in Cherub for all over (daytime wear) with a darkish eyeliner.

Then ... I got a Benefit blush in the color Dallas, which I was hesitant about but it looked pretty good on ... and a feather brush to apply it with.

Whew!

My question now is: Does anyone have recommendations for really GOOD blushes that have nice pigment but aren't too dark? I have light strawberry blond hair, fair skin, and blue-green eyes (depending on my mood, according to my husband).

I guess that's it for the moment.

Has anyone tried Chanel blush? So far I haven't found a really good color for me that's not too dark. That's why I'd really appreciate ideas here.

AND ... I don't have any of the Chanel powder shadows YET. Any particularly good colors there?

Thank you, thank you for ... to everyone ... for being on this board. This is FUN!!!

Lynn

LynnAB,

I just bought a new blush today from Trish McEvoy. It's quite pale but has good pigment.

I also like Nars and Stila blushes. The Stila blush I have is creme, which I generally hate, but the Stila one is the only creme blush I've ever liked. Even looks well over my powder.

Like you, I'm very fair skinned, so blush that's too dark looks like paint on my face.

Thank you for your recommendations, Jane. I think we have pretty much the same coloring, and as always I truly value your opinions. I'll check out the blushes you mentioned. What colors did you get, and what color is good in Nars?

I haven't checked out any of the brands you've mentioned as far as blushes, but I'm looking for something soft enough to work with. So far the Chanel seems to be a beautiful consistency, but I didn't buy it yet. I was hoping for some suggestions from women on this board since everyone is so interested in fashion and cosmetics. I figure I'll get some GREAT reviews here ... rather than from someone in a store.

Thanks,

Lynn

Aveda..Aveda Aveda.........I've tried them all and there is NOTHING like these products. Salon only, but they now have an online store. Try them Trust me! You can find them on Ebay as well.

They are mosturizing and long long wearing without getting dry and chalky or needing gloss. The colors are wonderful.

For women over 35 I'd also STRONGLY suggest the new make-up face disk by Lauren Hutton. the fresh face look specifically for older skin, with or without foundation!!!! It's amazing. Takes 5 mins to apply and get compliments ALL day long. It's called "Good Stuff" by Lauren Hutton....look online

I literally JUST ordered some MAC waterproof eyeliner....price was good at only 13.50. I normally use Clinique and even Mary Kay (my birdsitter is a MK girl so I feel a little obligated :o ) but MK doesnt have a waterproof eyeliner and Clinique has that funky powder application stuff...yuck.

I have never used MAC before so I am looking forward to trying it out. :)

Yes....Chanel eyeshadow DOES stay on longer. I work 12 hour shifts. From the time I shower, do my face, get to work AND put in 12 hours, I sometimes have my make up on for 15 hours or more. It really does last longer than any other eyeshadow I have tried. I love Chanel eyeliner and eyebrow pencil too.

Archived