Could this be influencing the disability changes?

Megabear2

Could well be.

There is a lot in that article to unpack and go through, which I won't as it's now a legal matter and for P&O to deal with.

But 1 claim doesn't normally make a cruise line change complete policy, which is the same policy on all Carnival Group ships. 

Thanks for the article link.

Love the pointless ship facts at the end, as if the length of the ship has anything to do with this story, lol

Very much doubt it. I can’t see how someone alleging injury as a result of how they were handled on an embarkation gangway could possibly explain policy changes such as electric wheelchairs (which are still allowed on board) having to be in fully accessible cabins, whilst manual wheelchair users can still use standard cabins (if they are able to). Also, this wouldn’t have any relevance to the evacuation chair issue as they never use those for embarkation. I think it’s a bit of a non story. £25k would be nothing to P&O (even if the claimant was successful) and I agree with the poster above that one relatively small (and somewhat dubious) claim wouldn’t result in a major policy change. 

As a wheelchair pusher I am always extremely grateful when the crew offer assistance, although I often decline. Most sensible wheelchair users know that they can be difficult to manoeuvre over some terrain and mishaps could happen through no fault of anybody’s. I managed to tip my wife completely out of her wheelchair once when a footpath we were on suddenly ended for major works and the only way past was over rough grass🫣

I note that some idiot has posted a comment after the article confusing P&O Cruises with P&O Ferries again 🙄

I'm with Selbourne on this; an incident two years ago with a manual wheelchair would not be cause to adopt the current policy with powered devices.

We have just received a response for an email I sent when the policy changed, asking for an explanation. This is the response...

Thank you for your below email regarding the above booking. I can see your booking has now been cancelled, however I would like to provide you with some more information.

We take pride in being inclusive and we welcome guests with disabilities and health conditions every time we sail. Our Powered Mobility Device Policy has been updated purely to ensure safety on board for all guests and crew.

When it comes to mobility devices, we regularly review our policies relating to storage and charging instructions, failure responses and fire safety procedures. The Powered Device Policy has been put in place to further ensure the safety of our guests and to ensure all powered mobility devices are only taken into cabins where they can be stored in areas which are easily accessible to crew in the unlikely event of an emergency. All our ships have cabins with this capacity, and the cabin types vary across the fleet. In the unlikely event of an emergency, emergency crew would need to have enough space to fight a fire of a powered device. 

We understand that it’s not ideal to make changes to bookings, but we can assure you we are only doing this for the safety of you, our other guests and our crew. We are very sorry for the disappointment this has caused. I hope that despite this, we will still be able to welcome you onboard in the future.

Please note, manual wheelchairs will continue to be accepted in all cabin types if they are folding and within a certain size. Manual wheelchairs must be easily collapsible in one piece with no removable parts and when collapsed must not exceed width 50 cm, 100 cm in length and weight 30 kgs. When open, for P&O Cruises, the maximum length of a device is 120cm and the maximum width is 79cm.

For further information, please see our website page Mobility aids and equipment.

**********************************************************************************

So, that explanation refers to crew members being able to access the device inside the cabin should there be an emergency.  That is similar to the explanation given by the CSA that called us to cancel or change next year's cruise.

Edited by TigerB
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

As a wheelchair pusher I am always extremely grateful when the crew offer assistance, although I often decline. 

As you know, our lass has a powered wheelchair; when it is in gear it is not going anywhere without her operating it, no matter how hard you push it. That is why we are always bemused when, despite declining assistance, there is always one crew member behind her, trying to push, and one infront, holding on to the footrests.

• Haha 2

I actually meant the apparent desire to insist on registration of any and all mobility device and things like my friend I met on Arvia who had one leg and who they was not going to let board as he was travelling alone.

The electric situation is not what I was referring to.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I actually meant the apparent desire to insist on registration of any and all mobility device and things like my friend I met on Arvia who had one leg and who they was not going to let board as he was travelling alone.

In all honesty, I still don’t see the link with the incident reported in this story having any bearing on any aspect of the new policy. If I read it correctly, the alleged incident wasn’t to do with whether or not the device had been declared, or any of the new restrictions, it was the way that the crew assisted. They still allow wheelchairs of all types on their ships and will still have exactly the same challenges getting them on and off the ship when gangways are at steep angles. Nothing in the new policy changes that and even with all the new policies fully implemented and enforced this could happen again. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I would has it a guess that regardless of whether it had any direct bearing on the policy change, P&O can perhaps use this and other similar articles as justification for the changes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S1971 said:

P&O can perhaps use this and other similar articles as justification for the changes.

Not necessarily. If I am not mistaken doesn't it say somewhere that if you are a wheelchair user then you have to be able to embark/disembark unaided or with the assistance of a companion?

A possible outcome from this could be that the crew "helpers" will no longer assist.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, david63 said:

A possible outcome from this could be that the crew "helpers" will no longer assist.

Doubt it. As you will know, the angle of gangways can vary enormously, including the angle when you get off in a port versus when you get back on later (due to tides). They wouldn’t watch people struggle if there was the risk of an accident. I am full of praise for the level of assistance they provide and always thank all staff concerned (if I need help).

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, david63 said:

Not necessarily. If I am not mistaken doesn't it say somewhere that if you are a wheelchair user then you have to be able to embark/disembark unaided or with the assistance of a companion?

Having not fully read the policy I can't really comment directly, however I believe the link suggested that she was being pushed up the ramp by her husband, the crew then intervened un-invited and caused injury,

How P&O perceive that is any ones guess.

4 hours ago, david63 said:

I know that disabled passengers either need to have a carer to provide all the assistance needed in the cabin, or be able to cope themselves, which might be what you are referring to, but P&O do provide embarkation and disembarcation assistance at start and end of the cruise, as well as help at the gangway in all the ports of call.