Video of Fire on thr Star Princess

patval

The video clip was bone-chilling. Thank you, whoever, for making it available. I viewed it a few days ago and have just viewed it again. <gulp>

I'm with mountainmare - how many of us would actually "remember" which way to go to our stations???

Utterly agreed, Laura. I'm DEFINITELY going to be a little more intentional about being aware of precisely WHERE my lifeboat station is located, as well as the location of life vests elsewhere aboard ship AND escape routes from one area of the ship to another.

It is a miracle that more people were not killed.

Chief,

Have seen that complete video taken from the CAT lens may times. Was on the Oriskany from 72-75. She also had a huge fire around the same time frame as the Forrestal. They were taken on ammo and some screwball lit off a flare, panicked and thru it into the flare locker. Many people died because they did not have sufficient training in using the old OBA. This caused the development of the air canisters to enable people to get out.

From another old Navy Chief,

Yes they sure did. It sure isn't that way anymore, and it's a good thing. I'm sure that the lessons learned by the navy certainly transferred over to the cuise industry. Good to see another shipmate, hope we get a chance to toss a cold one down at sea :D

Archived