St. Martin Photos

2FromTN

We just returned last week from an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Glory (3/18 - 3/25). We spent most of our time on St. Martin at Maho Beach. I have uploaded a bunch of photos and a cruise journal to our personal website if you care to look at them by clicking on the following links:

Photos: http://cruising.thestansfields.com/CarnivalGloryMarch2006/index.html

(St. Martin starts at page 5)

Journal:

http://cruising.thestansfields.com/Glory2006Journal.asp

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them.

I really enjoyed reading your cruise journal for the Glory and your pictures are great!!

I do have a couple of questions... can you walk to the straw market in Nassau from the cruise ship? Were there jet skis for rent at Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas? Did you find the show room, lounge, dining room heavily air-conditioned?? How would you rate the desserts??

That's it for now... any response will be appreciated! Thanks!

I really enjoyed reading your cruise journal for the Glory and your pictures are great!!

I do have a couple of questions... can you walk to the straw market in Nassau from the cruise ship? Were there jet skis for rent at Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas? Did you find the show room, lounge, dining room heavily air-conditioned?? How would you rate the desserts??

That's it for now... any response will be appreciated! Thanks!

The Straw Market is about 2 or 3 blocks from the dock so it's an easy walk. Be prepared for a bunch of locals to ask you if you want a taxi.

I can't remember if there were jet skis at Sapphire. I know they had a place where you could rent a bunch of stuff like little boats, snorkel gear, etc. so they may have jet skis.

I did not notice the show rooms, etc. overly air conditioned and my wife did not complain so that's usually indicates if there is a problem. All the rooms seemed comfortable.

We all loved the desserts although my wife did try the diet cheese cake and had to order a second "non-diet" dessert so maybe stay away from the "diet" desserts (that's an Oxy-moron) if you want taste.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

We are going on the Valor but to the same ports. Can you tell me, did you just happen upon Maho beach or was that where you were intending to go?

Was renting/driving difficult in St. Maarten? We are still trying to figure out what we want to do in each port...we know NOTHING about these places. What did you guys exactly do in Nassau also....it would be great to have some ideas on food places and beach/activity info at each port if you have time! Did the straw hat market have lots of good deals?

Thanks in advance...sorry so many questions!

June

We are going to be on Glory in a week. Planning to rent a car on St. MArtin too. Can you tell me please hoe was snorkling on Maho?

Did you return your car and then went shopping or were you able to find parking?

Thank you

We are going on the Valor but to the same ports. Can you tell me, did you just happen upon Maho beach or was that where you were intending to go?

Was renting/driving difficult in St. Maarten? We are still trying to figure out what we want to do in each port...we know NOTHING about these places. What did you guys exactly do in Nassau also....it would be great to have some ideas on food places and beach/activity info at each port if you have time! Did the straw hat market have lots of good deals?

Thanks in advance...sorry so many questions!

June

I don't mind the questions at all. Hopefully the journal helped a little. I had read about Maho Beach and both my son and I love big planes so we wanted to make sure we saw it. As far as renting a car, it wasn't difficult. Based on the reviews on this board, we contacted Arthur's car rental. His place is outside the port gate so it's a bit further to get to but the car was in good shape. There were 5 or 6 booths inside the gate who were trying to get our business as we were walking. Driving was OK as well with the exception of Maricot and Phillipsburg which were very congested. You have to also watch out for the numerous motorcycles and mopeds. At Nassau, we were only there for such a short period of time we didn't want to venture to far away. My son and I endured 1 row of vendors in the Straw Market and then headed back to the ship. My wife and daughter stayed a bit longer and found some good deals on some jewelery for my daughter and my wife bought some straw things.

We are going to be on Glory in a week. Planning to rent a car on St. MArtin too. Can you tell me please hoe was snorkling on Maho?

Did you return your car and then went shopping or were you able to find parking?

Thank you

I thought the snorkeling was OK. The place that I found was at the side of the beach by the Sunset Bar & Grill. You didn't have to go out too far. We returned our car and did some shopping right there at the port area.

Archived