Why are higher deck cabins more $$$$

luvocean9

It seems that no matter what ship or cruise line, the higher up the deck, the more the cabin costs. This is particularly true of balcony cabins. I have never had a balcony cabin on an upper deck. Can someone please tell me the advantage? If you are on a lower deck and look over your balcony rail, you see the ocean. From a higher deck, you see other decks or people hanging over their railings. Sometimes the balconies on the higher decks are even smaller, yet they charge more and there is a higher demand. Go figure.

As my real estate friend would say "it's all about location, location, location!" Sometimes an upper deck balcony may be a wrap around balcony, or it may have some other special feature, but most of the time, you are correct, the rooms are identical except for price. There are two main reasons people pay more for an upper deck, one is for the convenient location where you can walk right out to the pool or buffet. Sometimes you can just take a short flight of stairs up or down a deck to get to the hot spots. But if you're on deck 2 and the pool or buffet is on deck 10, you're not going to take the stairs, you'll have to wait in line at the elevators. Those elevator crowds can get ugly too, especially if you all can't fit in and someone has to wait for the next elevator.:rolleyes: Been there done that!

Another reason is because when you disembark the people on upper decks who have paid more get to leave before the lower deck people. For instance, on our first cruise when we were on deck 2 it took 2 hours of waiting before we were finally able to leave the ship. On this last cruise we were on deck 10 and were on solid ground in less than 40 minutes. It sounds like a trivial thing but when you're not allowed to wait in your cabin and every lounge and bar is full of screaming kids or has no seats, it can get very frustrating, especially if you're lugging around a lot of carry-ons. I too was skeptical of paying a little extra for an upper deck, but now that I've tried it out I think it's worth it. I will pay $100 or so more for the upgrade which is what it usually costs us and I think it's worth it. I wouldn't pay much more than that though.;)

Higher fare for higher deck? Not necessarily true. Last May, my sister and I booked a Superior Oceanvew on NCL's Majesty (Boston to Bermuda) I forget the exact deck number, but it was the deck directly below the pool. The fare was less than the outside cabins several decks below. We thought we'd hit the jackpot! Come to find out, the people "down below" were figuring on something we hadn't considered. On this particular cruise down the Atlantic coast, the ocean can be (and boy, was it) very rough!! We really felt the motion in our "cheaper" upper-deck cabins. Much more so than on any Caribbean itinerary I'd been on. Live and learn.

People book the higher cabins since it places them closer to the pools/ food areas. (you still need to travel the ship to get to the shows and dinners...so I dont understand the higher you go the better.)

Lower you are less motion you will feel.

People book the higher cabins since it places them closer to the pools/ food areas. (you still need to travel the ship to get to the shows and dinners...so I dont understand the higher you go the better.)

Lower you are less motion you will feel.

What difference does it make whether you are closer to the dining rooms and theatres on lower decks, or closer to the pool and spa, etc.? You will still have to take the elevator to one or the other.

And yes, there is even less motion on lower decks! Do you think that you can see more with the 'bird's eye view" from above?:confused: Maybe that's why higher decks are preferred.

Archived