LIVE from the Bliss: 10/29 - 11/3

13 minutes ago, drwbrt said:

Are you bringing a toad, a rat, a cat, or an owl?

It’s five days. That thing held more than you needed for a seven day. 

I’d do the same thing.

With all of the talk about NCL reducing entertainment, I might use a trunk of this size to provide entertainment. I mean, I could probably lock myself inside, a la Harry Houdini … so, I’ll be channeling a different Harry. 

IMG_2591.thumb.jpeg.3bf6a73ea0a3513e7996f900fb805970.jpeg

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

With all of the talk about NCL reducing entertainment, I might use a trunk of this size to provide entertainment. I mean, I could probably lock myself inside, a la Harry Houdini … so, I’ll be channeling a different Harry. 

IMG_2591.thumb.jpeg.3bf6a73ea0a3513e7996f900fb805970.jpeg

Had not heard about reducing entertainment.... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kasher Cee said:

Had not heard about reducing entertainment.... 

If you read some of the other posts on CC’s NCL forum, you will find commentary on cutbacks and reductions, as well as switching out some entertainment (like Broadway shows) for game shows (Wheel of Fortune and Deal or No Deal). It’s a conflation of facts and opinions and personal based on preferences.

I have found enough entertainment for my needs (live music, comedy shows, company of friends) that the changes don’t impact my experience. 

• Like 1

Reservations Before Embarkation

The functionality of the new app has impressed me. Of course, this is relative to NCL IT, and really IT across most major cruise lines. But, this new app has delivered things that enhance my cruising experience.

All of my dining is reserved for the duration of the cruise including a mix of speciality and MDR. And I was able to book some of the entertainment. Comedy shows aren’t available for reservation, nor are the smaller venue shows. But the shows in the main theater (Icons and Jersey Boys) post reservation times for booking. I’m glad I won’t have to take care of this on embarkation day. 

IMG_2597.thumb.jpeg.1e6d8883ecfac6f89d54bd4b9c51b731.jpeg
My 19 and 17 year old sons may not be thrilled to go to a Broadway show, but a little culture never hurt anyone. Besides, if Jersey Boys is good enough for Gator, it will be good enough for them. 

• Like 1

One Week to Embarkation

I got one of those form emails from Norwegian this morning. Just a standardized message about boarding instructions at the port. In the body of the email they admonish passengers to not show up prior to pre-selected time because those passengers will not be granted entry. 
IMG_2599.thumb.jpeg.dd19d7fa2dc3ff46093d41e96b24f5bb.jpeg

While the language seems absolute, the attached document seems to soften the language. 
IMG_2600.jpeg.a8db9accf638d5098d125d731c63d5c9.jpeg

“We recommend” is not a strong Gandolf-ish declaration against entry before the selected time as the body of the email “guests arriving prior … will not be granted early entry.”

IMG_2601.thumb.png.1338158c0632b0545166e972c90f20ae.png

Either way, it will be fine. The reality is this is a tough intersection for most cruise lines at most ports. You have port staff, cruise line staff, and TSA. Not to mention 4000+ passengers that all want to get through security and on the ship so vacation can start ASAP. 

My checkin is 9:30 AM. I anticipate spending a few hours in lines and waiting for the ship to start taking passengers. The main difference with this cruise from others, there will be no ship to clear, no passengers disembark. The cruise before mine will conclude on Oct 26 and I do not embark until Oct 29. 

On 10/17/2024 at 6:51 PM, New2cruise2022 said:

I can’t have little brown streak be the most recent post …

Our Experience Last Time … cont’d

Entertainment: It’s an important category for a lot of people. And I guess it should include all ship activities. For me, this is about creating an atmosphere and providing entertainment (shows, game shows, informational presentations, pools, hot tubs, music, etc). We felt like the last time we were on the Bliss, there were more activities than we had time to enjoy over 5 days. This was a good problem for us to have. 

The layout and atmosphere appealed to us. As mentioned earlier, The Observation Lounge is relaxing comfort. I have read that in inclement weather and with lots to see (think glaciers in Alaska) the crowds in the lounge could create more annoyance than relaxation. For us — with no glaciers in sight on our trip to Mexico — it NEVER seemed overly crowded. Occasionally, finding a seat for a group was more challenging, but never annoying or frustrating. We talked here, played cards here, laughed way too loud playing Cards Against Humanity, and enjoyed snacks and drinks all day long. Two thumbs way up. 👍🏿 👍🏿 

The Waterfront offers a great outdoor space for sitting and relaxing, and nice long and wide real estate for taking a walk and enjoying the view while you burn some calories before your next unnecessary feeding. We look forward to seeing if it still has the same feel. 

Maltings bar was always a nice hub for us. Good, comfortable seats, great drinks, and a lively crowd. The Cavern Club an homage to the Beatles stage overseas, was on the small side. Although some may have been turned away at capacity, keeping the very small made it feel livelier than it was at times. We will be very interested to see if the Beatles are a still a big draw and if the space still feels as fun and cool. 

When we sailed in 2023, both Jersey Boys and Six were playing. I believe there is just Jersey Boys and perhaps another song ensemble show, but no more Six. We will report back. 

There are go karts and laser tag up top. We did both. We enjoyed both. But, the cost didn’t deliver the value we wanted. Either way, they are fun options that feel enough out of place in the middle of the sea that it delivers a novelty. YMMV. 

IMG_0480.thumb.jpeg.53891d538b8262697a31dd6752854d06.jpeg

@drwbrt on the hunt during laser tag. He was on my team. Not shown: The 8 other women on our that were there celebrating their 70th birthdays. No, we didn’t win. But we had a great time. Maybe I will have to do laser tag again …

The Social Club feels like it is too small for the ship. But, like the Cavern Club, it works. We saw comedians twice and we enjoyed the humor and the crowd. We have not been as impressed with comedians on other cruise lines since. We will see if it is all luck or if the Bliss can deliver again. 

IMG_0420.thumb.jpeg.1ca5e8be65f33f3798e2665b434d479b.jpeg
Just add Fab Four. The recipe for a good show while you enjoy a beer. 🍻 (Or two.)

Definately agree that the Clubs are way too small.  Unless you're already hanging out nearby, you aren't getting in when there's a show starting.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TOMandANITA said:

Definately agree that the Clubs are way too small.  Unless you're already hanging out nearby, you aren't getting in when there's a show starting.  

I think it’s the kind of ship that teaches you what you want when you cruise. I found that I take the cruise as it comes to me and I had very little interest in waiting in line for things. (This is also why I’m not a Disneyland person.)

That being said, who you vacation with matters. Getting into a show (or not), waiting in line for something (or not), or doing nothing, I like being on vacation with friends and family. The conversation and a drink in hand is usually enough for a good memory. 

I’m going to make note of venues and the times lines start to form and whether they are already full at start times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I think it’s the kind of ship that teaches you what you want when you cruise. I found that I take the cruise as it comes to me and I had very little interest in waiting in line for things. (This is also why I’m not a Disneyland person.)

That being said, who you vacation with matters. Getting into a show (or not), waiting in line for something (or not), or doing nothing, I like being on vacation with friends and family. The conversation and a drink in hand is usually enough for a good memory. 

I’m going to make note of venues and the times lines start to form and whether they are already full at start times. 

Yes,  This was the first time sailing on Bliss.   Personally, after dark it's nice to sit in a lounge chair around a bar and chat it up with whomever is nearby.

• Like 2

I pulled out the trunk a few days ago. Today was the first time I cracked it open to see if the things I left inside are right where I expected them to be. They were.

IMG_2604.thumb.jpeg.8c32791b33deb76e10a2f5ad4975da6c.jpeg

I basically have a second wardrobe that is just for cruising. The work world does not collide with the cruise world. They are separate. Add a few pairs of shoes, underwear and socks, and I’m ready to go. 

Extension cord. Magnets.

First Aid Kit. Cards Against Humanity Ponchos Crocs.  

Stocked. Locked. Ready to Rock. 

IMG_2603.thumb.jpeg.00a421d286f3fa5d9c669382fc74084d.jpeg

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

The cruise before mine will conclude on Oct 26 and I do not embark until Oct 29. 

Do you think we will be able to board earlier with them not having to clear out previous passengers? I have priority access so I am not sure if that makes a difference?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kasher Cee said:

Do you think we will be able to board earlier with them not having to clear out previous passengers? I have priority access so I am not sure if that makes a difference?

Priority access should make a difference. Whether we got on quickly or not is pretty unknown. In theory, there should be less issues at port. There won’t be people trying to leave while we are trying to get on. There won’t be people leaving the parking lot while others are trying to park. But, if customs, TSA, or port agents stick to a strict schedule, there is a chance it is just the same as abut other embarkation. 

I’ll be there bright and early, just waiting. For me, I’d rather wait and be on early then wait less and come in the ship later. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kasher Cee said:

Question for anyone who has cruised the Mexican Rivera this time of year - do hurricanes ever affect sailing on this side of the ocean?

Hurricanes CAN impact this itinerary. But it isn’t common. Hurricane Kristy is unlikely to have any impact on this itinerary to timeline. 
IMG_2610.thumb.webp.402528cb56eff9b40b6742c74e600ada.webp

At 20 MPH, this hurricane will move almost 500 miles every 24 hours. By Sunday night, that puts the storm over 2000 miles further west from this position. 

On 10/22/2024 at 1:14 PM, New2cruise2022 said:

If weather is good, the Waterfront has great, comfortable seating outside. 

The bars mainly have fixed stools.  The Observation Lounge may be the exception.

The outdoor Cavern Club bar (or Syd Normans, depending on ship) is our favorite.  The more experienced bar tenders seem to work there.  At night is never seems to be overcrowded, and there are tables you can watch and listen to the show inside.

Just inside of that is Maltings, which does have lounge chairs and couches seating, and does have servers taking orders and delivering drinks.  Again, a more experienced staff there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

The bars mainly have fixed stools.  The Observation Lounge may be the exception.

The outdoor Cavern Club bar (or Syd Normans, depending on ship) is our favorite.  The more experienced bar tenders seem to work there.  At night is never seems to be overcrowded, and there are tables you can watch and listen to the show inside.

Just inside of that is Maltings, which does have lounge chairs and couches seating, and does have servers taking orders and delivering drinks.  Again, a more experienced staff there.

The bars outside do seem to be less crowded. Though (my failing) memory is that the hours were not impressive and at times unpredictable. 

I am planning to take note of opening and closing hours for bars on this next cruise and to see if the listed time in the Freestyle is an accurate representation of the ACTUAL hours. 

I have begun gathering for my upcoming 🦃 cruise in Hawaii…few clothing items, but not many…mostly the other crap…magnets, hooks, beach/pool bag, sound machine, dirty clothes “hamper”, etc.

IMG_5418.jpeg

• Like 1