How do menus change in AUS cruises?

14 hours ago, arxcards said:

One difference is that chicken stock cubes contain chicken fats, chicken salt does not contain chicken. Chicken salt is salt, rice flour, vegetable powders, spices and MSG "flavour enhancers", originally concocted as a flavouring to jazz-up roast chicken. Prior to this great Aussie "invention", there were brands of vegetable salt around that were of a similar flavour, less the MSG.

Either way, when the take-away asks if I want plain or chicken salt on my scallops (NSW name), I will always opt for plain.

A couple of other Aussie food delicacies. For a quick meal, get away from Maccas and find a fish & chip takeaway. Instead of just chips/fries, anyone visiting Oz should try a Chiko Roll. I can't explain the ingredients much, but they tend to work together. Another is a scallop. There are two types, and the way your order them differs from state to state. A NSW scallop is aka a potato scallop or a potato cake, depending on which part of Australia you are in. A nice big slice of potato approx 1/8 inch, dipped in batter and deep fried. Once drained, a nice sprinkling of salt and malt vinegar - sensational. I have started doing these at home in an air fryer, which makes them a bit healthier. Definitely not to be confused with the seafood version.

Ah, chico and potato scallop! Bliss. Not for my waistline and arteries, but you get that. I practically lived on chico rolls when I was pregnant. Strangely it was the ONLY thing that alleviated morning sickness! Go figure.

3 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

Ah, chico and potato scallop! Bliss. Not for my waistline and arteries, but you get that. I practically lived on chico rolls when I was pregnant. Strangely it was the ONLY thing that alleviated morning sickness! Go figure.

As a child, I loved chiko rolls.  There.  I’ve confessed.

Edited by Mareblu
  • Haha 3

I will have the occasional Chiko, but 10 mins in the air fryer and these potato scallops are awesome. Our local Woolies started stocking them a couple of months ago, and they are as good as the fish & chip shop.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/906143/lamb-weston-jumbo-potato-cakes-scallops-original