Queen Mary and QM2 photos

Colin_Cameron

Finally got around to posting our Hawaii cruise photos. If anyone is suffering from insomnia, here's the cure.

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_view=slideshow.Slideshow&g2_itemId=129586

There were over forty CCers on this cruise. Has anyone else put their pics online? I'd love to see them.

Regards, Colin.

Colin

I have to break my self imposed silence on this Board to say thank you for posting such fabulous photos. Queen Mary and Queen Mary 2 - wow, these pictures speak volumes about the only real traditional Cunarder left and her 21st Century successor. They sure drown out the carping that mostly passes for comment on the Cunard board these days.

Well done and thanks

Ken

Hi Colin!

When I saw the first pictures, I thought, "they look familiar, but they don't look like the QM2." Then I realized the first ones were QM!

Wow! Your cabin was so big! Did they draw the "pictures" on your dessert plates each night in the grills? We never saw that in Brittania. And the breakfast looks fancier than what we saw. Hmm. Maybe the food is better in the grills!

You got to see a turtle!!!

Thanks for posting pix!

I have a few up on my live journal site http://colleency.livejournal.com/tag/vacation, but it's more of a review, and I haven't written up all the entries I intend to. I seem to be getting up a little every other day or so.

My sunburn from Kona is still peeling!

colin

Hello from Austria, my wife Rosa and I have been on both Quens too, we also slept a few days at the Hotel QUEEN MARY on our tour through the West a few years ago.

Last year we did a crossing from east to west on QM2, so your pics are very nice for us to remember all the interesting details on both ships. What a wonderful moment it must have been seeing a whale diving in front of you. Congratulatons to the trip and thank your for posting the pics.

Thanks for your comments folks.

Not just one whale Robert. must have been half a dozen of them.

Just realised you have to click on "show more info" to get the captions for the pics. Might have saved Colleen's confusion.

Colleen, The cabin is twice the size of a standard balcony cabin. We had nine folk in for a drink one evening and it didn't seem crowded at all. The butler brought canapes and champagne and we had quite a little party.

Don't know if they did the the drawings 'every' night as we're not big dessert eaters, but it was certainly quite frequent. Breakfast- the caviar on the shirred eggs was a surprise.

We saw TWO turtles!!! One, swimming, from the whale watching boat and the one in the photo sitting on the beach.

Like you our most memorable memories haven't been the ships we've been on or the ports we've visited, but little, almost insignificant, incidents. Like the steward who, on the first night aboard, brought our drinks without taking our order. He remenbered us and our usual drinks from three years earlier! Or the psychic waiter who knew what we wanted almost before we did. Or the time Sandra looked at the dessert menu then handed it back saying, "Nothing for me. Thanks". The waiter brought a plate with "Nothing" written on it in sauce.

Thanks for your photos and review. Can't wait for the rest.

Regards, Colin.

Thanks for the photos. Growing up I always thought it would be neat to get a chance to go to Long Beach and stay at the hotel that the old Queen Mary had become. I thought this was my best chance to experience the old magic of the glory days of the ocean liners. I just never thought I'd be able to cruise on the QE2 in my lifetime. Sadly I have yet to stay at the hotel Mary.

So I am pinching myself not believing there'd be a second "Mary" and I'll actually be sailing on her instead. Funny how life turns out.

Your photos made me see what the old gal was all about and certainly has put me into a mood to await my upcoming cruise with anticipation.

Thanks for the photos.

Your photos made me see what the old gal was all about and certainly has put me into a mood to await my upcoming cruise with anticipation.

Okay,

Now I am starting to get paranoid!

I've tried all day (and late last night) to access the pics, including backing out to a root directory and clicking on photogalleries. All I get is a rude page telling me I'm WAY off course! And to click on the menu! (There are no menus on that page, or even clickable links!)

HMMMPH!

Karie,

who knows that just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you! <LOL>

Or the time Sandra looked at the dessert menu then handed it back saying, "Nothing for me. Thanks". The waiter brought a plate with "Nothing" written on it in sauce.

That is so cool!

I guess I'll have to save the pennies for traveling in high style someday. It really does sound like it's even better in the fancy cabins!

Karie, The photo album is back up again. Looks like an upgrade that didn't run to schedule.

Colleen, That particular incident happened on Caronia, a ship Cunard sold a couple of years ago. We weren't in a 'fancy' cabin. Just an inside, like we normally book. I just meant it as an example of the little things that we'll remember long after we've forgotten which ship went where

Did nobody else take any pictures?

Regards, Colin.

I stayed on the hotel Queen Mary for three nights in 2003.

I took a eight night cruise on the QM2 last year.

My observations:

1.everything is an order of magnitude bigger on the new liner including the size of the passengers except that the new liner has a few very narrow passageways

2.the waffles are much better at the hotel than on the liner

3.the feeling of being in a historic place was the same in the hotel and on the liner

4.the drinks were much cheaper in the hotel than on the liner

5.the "captain" of the hotel looked like much more of an old salt than the captain of the liner

6.the ocean didnt move as much around the hotel;)

Archived