Alaska Weather

HWBATWSA

My wife & I will sail in Spirit 14 Jult for a back-to-back Alaskan Adventure.

After 9 cruises, we've got the packing for warm climates down pat. However, we are concerned about packing for Alaska in mid July.

Any guidance by post or e-mail will be appreciated.

HWBATWSA@aol.com

Alaska Climate Summaries

from

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/summary/climsmak.html

The Alaska Climate Research Center

from

http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/

CLIMATE OF ALASKA

from

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/narratives/ALASKA.htm

USS Chilton APA-38 1966-1968

USS Guam LPH-9 1968-1970

Pacific Princess Oct 21 2001 Bermuda

Golden Princess Dec 7 2002 "Eastern Caribbean"

Coral Princess Dec 9 2003 "Panama Canal"

Carnival Miracle 17 Oct 2004

NOT UPDATED again 25 Feb www.geocities.com/fsbsdel

It has been 85-90+ degrees in Fairbanks all week and is expected to hold out this week too. PACK SHORTS! I work at a campground and a lot of people are rushing to Wal-Mart to get shorts because they didn't pack for all weather.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

9/04 Pride Second Anniversary, First Honeymoon!

• 1 month later...

hi tinydancer!!! can you give me an idea of what we should expect as far as weather towards the end of sept.? this would be the first time my dh and i would be cruising outside of the caribbean and we'd just like to get some more info before we get into something we can't get out of...

thanks so much!!!

you can email me, too if that's easier... curly4dana@aol.com

It has been 85-90+ degrees in Fairbanks all week and is expected to hold out this week too. PACK SHORTS! I work at a campground and a lot of people are rushing to Wal-Mart to get shorts because they didn't pack for all weather.

Exactly Tiny - When someone finds out that I'm from AK and ask what the weather is like in the spring and summers, they can't believe that it "actually" gets as warm as almost anywhere else.

hi tinydancer!!! can you give me an idea of what we should expect as far as weather towards the end of sept.? this would be the first time my dh and i would be cruising outside of the caribbean and we'd just like to get some more info before we get into something we can't get out of...

thanks so much!!!

you can email me, too if that's easier... curly4dana@aol.com

At the end of September it will start to get chilly and darker at night. I'd pack jeans, t-shirts, and sweatshirts. No place in Alaska is dress up (execpt for on the ship of course) but even fine dining here is jeans and t-shirts. :)

There will not be any snow yet in September though so probebly in the 40's or 50's. :)

thanks sooo much tiny! we're not looking to dress up at all...it's just that it's been so long since my dh and i have been able to dress warmly, we actually look forward to it! great to hear about the cooler temps!

again, thanks a bunch!!

i'd forgotten all about the auroura! thanks so much for reminding us...we really did not want to miss that. what time of year is the best time to see that?

i know hoping for cold weather might seem weird to you, but living in south forida, it's been like 90 degrees for the last few months and with 80% humidity, i think i'm growing ferns in my toes!! lol

i'm so over the heat, you just have NO idea. i've been here for 13 years. before that i lived in new york and i'm starting to miss the change of seasons. it changes here, but not enough to make a difference...

any further info you can give me on alaska would be so helpful in making our choices. i met a woman last week that just came back from the princess sapphire and she said that tracey arm was the best part of her trip. is she right?

anyway, back to watching the democratic convention....and thanks again for all your help!

Hey! You can email me if you want to ask any Alaska questions you may have. :)

The best time to see the Aurora is a time you would probebly not want to be here! haha When it is really cold (like -60 degrees) January and February. :) Nobody likes it that cold not even us, I watch them from my car driving home then, never standing outside. :)

So are you doing a land tour too, or just the cruise? If your doing the land tour you'll love the Kenai Penninsula, that is beautiful, if your just doing the cruise you'll love Juneau and the Glaciers, you should really spend the money to get a glacier tour, they are awsome! :)

we would definitely do a land tour as well as the cruise. otherwise...why go???

my email is curly4dana@aol.com and you can email me anytime! thanks again for the info...we are really looking forward to this trip...now all we have to do is figure out when we can go.

NO! negative 60 degrees????? holy s**t!!!!! NO WAY! really, when it gets down below 70 around here, i'm cold, but i'm so into wearing warm coats and sweaters and seeing the glaciers and maybe even whales!!

i was going to do a group cruise in april 2006 to the caribbean, but i think i'd rather do the group to alaska...i think it would be more fun! i'll have to ask laura if i can switch and i'll let you know....

we would definitely do a land tour as well as the cruise. otherwise...why go???

i was going to do a group cruise in april 2006 to the caribbean, but i think i'd rather do the group to alaska...i think it would be more fun! i'll have to ask laura if i can switch and i'll let you know....

Having done both the cruise and tour I can honestly say that for folks who don't have time or funds, definitely go just for the cruise! I had a lot of clients when I was a TA who just didn't have the time for two weeks and came back just as enthusiastic about their cruise as those that did both! And a lot of people go back to Alaska. I'm group leader for a CC cruise to Alaska next year and this will be my sixth Alaska cruise! Rates for Alaska are sometimes slow to come out so if you are planning on 2006 the rates will probably not be out until at least April for some cruise lines and summer for others (HAL doesn't have theirs for '05 yet !).

Oh, and weather is wonderful in late May also... often sunny and ice/snow still melting with beautiful waterfalls along Tracy Arm, Gastineau Channel. If you do a land trip the Kenai is beautiful.. I love Homer and Kachemak Bay area as well as Seward where many folks head to first.

do you thnk i can change the jewel i was originally going to do for april 2006 as a CC group to an alaska group in sept. of 2006?? i know the rates aren't out yet, and won't be for awhile, but maybe if i round up some interested cruisers we can keep them chatting together before we actually get the rates, do you think we'd be able to get a CC group thread going???

any help you cann offer me, caroline would be great!

my email: curly4dana@aol.com

if it looks like it's just too far off, i'll just stick with the jewel that laura said i could do for 4/22/2006....

Archived