LoSt On ThE MeDiTeRrAnEa!!!!!!

LuvTheBoat

Ok i've read this and that about the difficulty in getting around on the Mediterranea. No maps and whatnot. What's the real scoop....can a reletively intellegent person navigate the ship without much difficulty or should I take the time to print out a deck plan to make sure I don't miss something? Thaaaaaaaaaaaank you so much for the answer to my VeRy ImPoRtAnT qUeStIoN!!!! :D

Well, my DH and I are relatively intelligent people (ok, we have our moments) and we managed just fine. We always wander all over the entire ship on our first day, so we get a feel for the layout. As others have said, there are no maps and the Italian names were hard to keep straight, but we also nicknamed places ("The bar where nobody goes", "The scary hallway"). The only real problem we had was when we wanted to attend something we had read about in the Today and we weren't sure which bar/lounge they were referring to.

By the way, we loved the "Scary Hallway" (hall around the theater with no discernible purpose). It was dubbed that by some Crusie Critic friends. :)

Have fun! We did! :D

Highly recommend bringing a map (maybe from the Costa brochure?) We are experts at finding our way around ships, but had some difficulty o0n the Mediterranea. The trouble stems from the fact that the names are in Italian. For instace, the "Bingo" lounge (as we dubbed it) was called Piazza Casanova. While on most ships, you can usually figure out that the WHITE bar is usually themed in the color white, or the Jeykll and Hyde lounge will also be themed appropriately. But Piazza Casanova, which we think has something to do with love, was confusing. And, to make matters worse, there aren't any signs over doorways announcing what the rooms or lounges are. Rather, they are on beams than straddle the hallways, but alos list several other mysterious names that are in the general direction you are going.

Other names--the MAschera d'Argento Bar. have no idea where this was...ever! Roero Bar---???? Apollo pool--versus the Cadmo pool. They are boith side-by-side (identical) and I beleive the Cadmo pool is the one that also had the outside mainstage for live music.

You see what I mean? If you had a map, you could look up the mystery name and find where you need to go, which is much easier than wandering the halls trying to guess is if the Roero Bar was where you were at.

Good luck!--CeleBrat

I did research for hours about our ship (Magica) and thought I knew my way around. The minute we set foot on the ship after a long 12 hours of travel, I took the family to the complete wrong end of the ship trying to get to our room. It was a joke the rest of the week....they kidded me for the hours that I spent on these boards doing research and I led them astray the minute we got on board. After we finally made it to our cabin (aft balcony that was huge) I hardly ever left it...I loved it. The Magica is a beautiful ship and easy to get around...after a few days.

We had NO problem after the first day. We would just go up to any worker and ask...where is this? where is that? And then it clicks and you know your way around. But they give you a little map made of cardboard, it has the layout of the ship and which floors all things you need to know are on. Not sure if we got it at check in or it was on our bed when we got in our cabin. I think it was on our bed.

Another vote for loving the Med here!!!

Already Packed! Waiting On 5:00 To Get Off Work And Head South. It Will Be The Longest Day. Warm Weather And Sunshine Sounds Just Dreamy. I Think We Will Be Waiting Outside Ship For Them To Disembark. Lol. See All Of You On The Ship.

Ok i've read this and that about the difficulty in getting around on the Mediterranea. No maps and whatnot. What's the real scoop....can a reletively intellegent person navigate the ship without much difficulty or should I take the time to print out a deck plan to make sure I don't miss something? Thaaaaaaaaaaaank you so much for the answer to my VeRy ImPoRtAnT qUeStIoN!!!! :D

HI there..just back from first cruise...on the Med. I can get lost walking around the block...just ask anyone who knows. We were at the pool the fisrt half hour after boarding and my husband had ten fits cuz I wanted the camera...and to go back to the room myself. I made it with no problem, and had no trouble the rest of the week. Mind you that was not to say I was not having heart paplitations as I did it...lol! You will have a blast!!!! Wish I was going too!!:) :)

Thanks for those links! I've filed them for future use as I'm sailing on the Med in Jan 07.

I did sail on Magica this past January and didn't have any problem finding things of getting around. Lots of people did grumble about not being able to find places, however. But there will always be grumblers.

As an aide, Costa gives a nice fold-up map when you check in. Once settled into your cabin, go to the reception desk and ask for another one to two so that everyone in your group has one.

Costa did so something peculiar, however, in placing their wall-mounted deck maps. One would naturally assume that a ship map would be mounted in each elevator lobby. They do have them, but you've got to pop into a corridor entrance near the elevator lobbies to see the deck plan. Perhaps the designers think that we'll look at them while we're walking to an elevator. Costa would be wise to add the deck plans to the elevator lobbies.

Its really no big deal...I didnt hear of anyone getting lost forever and its part of the fun. I always accused my room steward of moving my cabin when I left for any length of time...Just go, enjoy and go with the flow.

During the embarkation, Costa gives you a map. Great Ship! You will not have any problems. My wife and I had a wonderful cruise and will return. This is not Carnival and includes multi cultures which makes the cruise very nice.

Archived