? about tipping above recommended amount

deb06123

We just got back from the Paradise and we had pre-paid our tips (no comments on this please, it was just better for our family of 8). We had excellent service and wanted to, and did, tip above recommended amount. My question is, what is the norm for wait staff, room steward and maitre'd (sp?)? How much extra is a good amount, not too much, but not an insult. I had no idea and so will not embarrass myself by saying how much extra we actually tipped.

Thanks for your input seasoned cruisers!

Debbie

I don't think you can embarass yourself with any additional amount.

On our first cruise we had an excellent drink server at dinner. He would see us at a lounge or the lido deck or wherever and immediately come over and ask if he could get us anything. He talked with him extensively one night and he told us both he and his wife were on the ship. They had a baby also. We really enjoyed him. On the last night I had my comment card and he said that would really be appreciated. We tipped him an extra $20 and he hugged us both.

This time I tipped our room steward an extra $10 as I requested ice. She didn't bring it but I left her standard tips as well. She was excellent with the room and did the towel animals. We had requested extra towels and she said she would bring them when we went to dinner but I explained we needed them to get ready for dinner. She brought a single wash cloth! I asked (please) for regular shower towels and she brought them right away.

We tipped the maitre'd $5 this time. I had no idea what the norm was but hoped that was okay. The first cruise we never saw him, this time we saw him all the time! He changed our table for us also. We went with another couple and they also tipped $5.

We went to the Polo Lounge and Larry was wonderful. He was the first person this trip to smile. He had just gotten on the ship so he was fresh. I went to my room and wanted ice for my champaign. Since I didn't have any I went to him and he gave me two big cups. I tipped him $3. He was shocked.

At the welcome reception I asked (please) for chardonnay. The server looked a little ticked and said I'd have to wait until he went back for more. When I made the request I said "when you have a chance may I please have Chardonnay?". I handed him a $3 tip and he turned and went right back to get it for me.

I also tipped the roulette dealers a buck or so for any wins on my numbers. I only play $1 spins. They always seemed happy with that.

Imagination 3/2003

Days until Sensation...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;6;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Most Carnival ships autumaticiaaly deduct tips and they are put on your sail and sign card now. I am surprised Paradise did not do that. This was what was done on Inspiration and Miracle both. They say if you choose you can add extra tips on your sail and sign card but what I understand they evenly distributes these tips to the waiters, stewards etc. So what we did was we directly handed a little extra to out steward and waiter so that we knew they got it. We did not want to tip extra so someone else's sorry waiter got the benefit of it too.

Now our steward on Miracle was barely adequote so he did good that we did not go and have his tip removed. Nothing extra for him.

Carnival Tropicale 10/15/98 Western Caribbean

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/22/99 Bahamas

Carnival Fascination 09/23/00 Southern caribbean

HAL Statendam 05/20/01 Alaska

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/08/01 Bahamas

Pacific Princess 09/29/02 Bermuda

Carnival Inspiration 12/14/03 Western caribbean

Carnival Miracle 04/09/04 Bahamas

Momofmeg - To clarify ...Debbie said she had PRE-PAID her tips (meaning she paid the tips when she paid for her cruise), and was inquiring about EXTRA tipping.

ALL Carnival ships have the automatic tipping procedure.

"Laissez les bon temps rouler!"

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Sensation 2004

We always tip a phone card plus $10 the first day of the cruise to both cabin stewards and both members of the waitstaff. To hopefully ensure we do get excellent service. icon_wink.gif Plus we know how much they all work and it's well deserved even before the cruise begins. The final full day of the cruise we also tip a phone card plus whatever amount we feel is appropriate, usually a minimum of $10. These people work exceptionally hard to give us all a good vacation and what little I give them never seems to be enough, in my opinion.

cubs_45.gifgreenlanthal.gifflash.gif

030203usf_prv.gif

05/24/03 Celebration -- Our first cruise!

12/07/03 Conquest

11/01/04 -- Fascination!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;11;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We have also prepaid our tips for our upcoming cruise. My question is: What type of phone card? and I read on these boards somewhere that the crew really doesn't want them(the phone cards or $2.00 bills) Should we tip early and then again at the end? HELP -

*10/03* Elation! Do as you please I am cruisin'!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;10;03;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Archived