Mariner - Internet

jandv124

This will be my first time out on the Mariner, leaving S.F. on the 18th. Do they have computers on board that allow you to access your e-mail and Internet? Any other FYI that a first timer should know?

Thank you, Jo.

Jo, there is a computer room on Deck 6 that has approx 18 (?) computers plus several more in the atrium area near-by. You can also bring your own laptop if you wish as Deck 6 is hooked up for wi-fi. The computer manager on the Mariner (when we were on 2 weeks ago) is Theresa and she's WONDERFUL, always ready to help everyone. You will probably want to buy a large block of minutes (250 for $50) as they do go quickly! The internet was up and running most every day. On a few occassions we couldn't get the satellite for an hour or two but this didn't happen often. The internet is slow so when sending emails the best way is to first type it on microsoft word. After you're all done, THEN log on to the internet and copy and paste your message.

Jo, Unfortunately, the computer room got a new attendant on March 13th (right after the SA voyage). The man is pleasant, but not very helpful. I was having difficulty accessing AOL and he did not tell me until the 4th day (each day asking him questions too!) that the computers directly outside the computer room are set up for AOL. I had wasted ALOT of my minutes on the wrong computers.....much quicker and efficient on the others.

Cheers, Pam

Marcie and Pam, thank you so very much for the information on the computers. I'm starting to feel more comfortable now. I hate spending all my vacation time just learning all the ins and outs.

I wish I had known about this web site before. Reading some of the posts are starting to concerned me. Were looking forward to a pleasant cruise, not a work in progress.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

:) Thank you, J.

Hi Jandi.

I was just on the Mariner also. I used their internet every day to E-mail my wife. ( I was on as a dance host). I used the per minute option of 35 cents a minute. It would always take at least 5 minute to access my AOL account. She was the only one I cared to write at that price. It cost $71 to send one E-mail a day. They also had 100 minute package for $25 and 250 for $50. no refunds for unused time.

Eric

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all of the great posts! From reading them I understand that Mariner has wireless access for those with appropriately equipped laptops?

Did anyone try that route (as opposed to using the provided computers) and, if so, did you get a good connection speed? Also were there only a limited number of places where you could use your wireless connection, or was it pretty much available throughout the ship?

Thanks...

Gordon

I used the wireless Internet access on the Mariner from April 18 to May 14 paying with a package rate.

It was entirely satisfactory except for the fact that I could not send MS Outlook E-mails to distribution lists. Two addressees is all that could be accomodated.

The computer instructor/attendant was no help over the four weeks.

AOL is always a slow problem with satellite internet. If your local service provider has a POP3 server for email (on Outlook Express for instance) the fastest email seems to be http://www.mail2web.com. Try it from home to see if it works for you. You just need your email address and password to use it and it's free. You can also get a free customized version where you can create an address book instead of having to type them out each time. Mail2web does not download the emails so you can either delete them or leave them on the server until you get home. Otherwise, it's like regular email - you can read, reply, creat new emails etc. It's fairly quick and doesn't burn up a lot of minutes. This works from any computer anywhere, not just on ships.

• 1 month later...

Are there computers usually available for use at all times? Or, is it hard to find one that is not in use? If you write your message in Word and then paste it into the e-mail, are you only charged for the time you are connected to the internet? We are on Mariner, Oct. 18-Nov. 1.

Are there computers usually available for use at all times? Or, is it hard to find one that is not in use? If you write your message in Word and then paste it into the e-mail, are you only charged for the time you are connected to the internet? We are on Mariner, Oct. 18-Nov. 1.

Yes. There are computers always available at least on the cruise I was on at the end of May.

And, yes. You are only charged for time on-line. I paid the per minute rate as I only sent a few and was happy enough, though the price for use IS much higher than land based access.

Archived