Get off at different US Port

joejo

In some of the hurricain threads someone said that in the event of a hurricain that you may have to get off at a different US port to avoid the storm.

What about the fine? Does that apply here?

I'm talking about the one where you can't embark at one port and then debark at another.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and if the fine applies in a storm circumstance?

Thanks!

The Jones act requires that unless you are US registered, you can't leave a USA port without first touching a foreign port before hitting the same US port or another one.

In the case of a hurricane, the Jones Act must still be satisfied. But if a ship can not get to a foreign port before coming back to the US - they will not stop at any port at all. I have been in the shipping industry for a long time and I have never seen a ship get a waiver from the Jones Act in the Caribbean.

The Jones act requires that unless you are US registered, you can't leave a USA port without first touching a foreign port before hitting the same US port or another one.

In the case of a hurricane, the Jones Act must still be satisfied. But if a ship can not get to a foreign port before coming back to the US - they will not stop at any port at all. I have been in the shipping industry for a long time and I have never seen a ship get a waiver from the Jones Act in the Caribbean.

I have heard of the Jones Act but why do they have it and how long has it been law. Is it to stop foreign flagged ships from moving freight within the US.

I have heard of the Jones Act but why do they have it and how long has it been law. Is it to stop foreign flagged ships from moving freight within the US.

It was enacted in the 1920s - and reformed a bit in the 80s. It has do to primarily with liability of the shipowner in case a seaman is injured. It is a pain for foreign flagged vessel, but the pay off in cheaper crew and licensing is the payoff.

When we were on the Inspiration in 2001, we left New Orleans on the way to Jamaica when there was a medical emergency, so our first port was Key West to drop off the ill passenger. We skipped Jamaica and went on to Grand Cayman then Cozumel. In this case, there must have been some exception to the rule to be able to stop at Key West first.

When we were on the Inspiration in 2001, we left New Orleans on the way to Jamaica when there was a medical emergency, so our first port was Key West to drop off the ill passenger. We skipped Jamaica and went on to Grand Cayman then Cozumel. In this case, there must have been some exception to the rule to be able to stop at Key West first.

Actually, I think I mispoke earlier - you can touch another US port - but not return to disembark until you hit a foreign port. I left from Palm Beach last year, stopped in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami before going to the Bahamas.

President Bush did waive the Jones Act during Katrina - I just read about it.

I hope I summarize this correctly:

-Jones Act is cargo, Passenger Services Act is passengers.

-PSA says if ship leaves from a US port, it must return to same US port to disembark passengers, unless it has visited a distant foreign port--not just foreign. Distant being in the eyes of the act, most Caribbean ports do not qualify, but Aruba does. Most coastal repo trips end in a foreign port for this reason--not returning to a different US port.

-Fine is currently $300 per passenger, per a recent post where the fine WAs assessed on an ill passenger who was taken off the ship in a different US port. Cruise line paid the fine, not passenger.

I love CC. Learn something new every day!!

Probably a studpid question (sorry)....what about a cruise to nowhere?

That is fine - it returns to the same port as it embarks - and doesn't call on another US port.

As I recall, the original intent of the Jones Act was to encourage US ship building. If a ship is built in the US and flagged US, it can visit simultaneous US ports. It's been a while, but I that's how I remember it.

Archived