How to keep us???

sbku

I have been a loyal Celebrity cruiser for 4 years now but several things are now pushing me to other cruise lines. I know that I am not the only one to feel this way.

Money, this is becoming an issue with Celebrity. The cost of cruising has gone through the roof with Celebrity. Now, I realize that cruising overall is more expensive then it was post 9/11, that deals are no longer available. However, I am paying 3100/pp for a balcony for a 14 day cruise on the Galaxy in the Med. I find this to be very high compared to just last year when I sailed on the Connie in an FV for 2600/pp. I have booked a cruise on Princess, 12 days in Australia, for 2400/pp for a Minisuite. These two cabins are not exactly apple for apple, Princess is much nicer in this case.

Which brings us to itineraries, or lack there of. Celebrity is pushing their loyal clients away by not having any exotic cruises. If you sail with Celebrity only, you basically sail all their cruise locations in a very short time. This forces cruisers to look to an alternative, which is what happened to me. But, I also know that this is happening to others, as there are 20 of us who met on various Celebrity cruises taking the Australian trip with me.

And, now with the Mercury troubles, it is becoming very hard to read the comments from people who sailed on her. We sailed twice on the Mercury and had great cruises but I would surely think twice about sailing on her in the next few months. I knew someone on the 3/17 cruise and it sounded just awful. And, these people were loyal Celebrity cruisers and they feel that Celebrity really dropped the ball.

This post is just from a person who is very sad about the condition of Celebrity and maybe as to why so many are getting frustrated with the cruiseline and the need for Celebrity to go back to it's roots and remember that people will always want a value for their money but are willing to pay more for a better product. I question whether Celebrity is giving that better product.

The cost of cruising is just now recovering from the tagedy of 9-11 and the economic downturn of 2000, 2001 and 2002. Actually cheaper than 10 or 20 years ago, although the ships today have more ameneties.

Hi Sue & John !

Interesting comments. I have to agree with Hdawson, and say that Cruise prices are adjusting to supply and demand (and yes, there is a lot of demand these days). The current prices appear high versus some VERY low pricing from 2001-2003. Yes, it is a fair amount higher these days, but I do feel the same can be said for all the better Cruise Lines. Celebrity is a public company (owned by Royal Caribbean), and they do have a responsibility to their shareholders, to be as profitable as possible. It is hard to blame them for raising their prices when the demand is hot. I am sure most all of us would do the same if we were in their shoes.

As for the Mercury situation, I agree is is very unfortunate. I did read on another thread, that the last sailing had a much lower amount of sick passengers. While I feel that even 1 sick norovirus passenger is too much, at least the #'s seem to be on the decline. It also appears that Celebrity is doing everything possible to get this matter behind them.

As for itineraries ? I feel you have a much better argument. I know must of us feel that some of Celebrity's itineraries have been stagnant the past few years. Most of us frequent Celebrity Cruisers hope each year, for some new Ports and Itineraries. I am hopeful that Celebrity has heard our wishes, and will come out with some new ideas, when the new schedules for late 2007/early 2008 are released. I am very anxious to see what Celebrity has planned for us.

I was just on Century a few weeks ago, and we had a wonderful time. We would sail with Celebrity again in a heartbeat. We have several more Celebrity Cruises planned over the next 12 months. I know we plan to stay very loyal to them, as long as the quality remains, and they have itineraries that work for us.

On the issue of innovative itineraries, or lack of them, I guess I do not really understand Celebrity's marketing approach. Take Milennium in the Med for example. With only minor variations each of its cruises is the same right through the season (I'm looking at 2007) which are also the same as 2006. That really excludes doing a b2b and indeed, it reduces the desire to come back a second year on the same ship. There is so much to see in the Med too. I think from memory Galaxy varies its itineraries a little more however.

About the price of cruising:

When we compare what we paid for our first 7 day Celebrity cruise in 1992 as a oercentage of our income and what we pay for the same cruise now as a percentage of income, cruising is still a bargain. I think that the extreme low prices of post 9/11 have spoiled us and it is hard to remember that cruise prices should not be compared to actual prices, but as a percentage of income. I know that I have received cost of living wage increases over the years - why shouldn't the cruise lines reflect the same increases as their costs (food, supplies, wages, etc) also go up each year?

How to keep us:

Try to make sure that every cruise is up to Celebrity standards - that every employee from land based to ship personnel - is working to make you feel that you are the most important person on board. When passengers book a trip, make sure that you can fulfill the booking as booked - if not be generous with your compensation. A lot of us put a lot of planning and anticipation in our cruise and to see that changed especially more than once and/or at the last minute is truly a turn-off (as what happened to our back to back Med/trans Millie cruise due to the drydock and the delay - we had planned for that trip since our 03 trans and to see a 26 day cruise experience reduced to a 12 day trans was very crushing).

When we compare what we paid for our first 7 day Celebrity cruise in 1992 as a oercentage of our income and what we pay for the same cruise now as a percentage of income, cruising is still a bargain. I think that the extreme low prices of post 9/11 have spoiled us and it is hard to remember that cruise prices should not be compared to actual prices, but as a percentage of income. I know that I have received cost of living wage increases over the years - why shouldn't the cruise lines reflect the same increases as their costs (food, supplies, wages, etc) also go up each year?

I agree with you up to a point. The percentage difference for my FV versus the balcony cannot be explained in a one year period. In 2005, 14 days in FV to Baltics, 2600/pp. 2006 on Galaxy, 3100/pp for 14 day in Med. More expensive for a lesser room. I agree that cruising is still a bargain, however other cruise lines have not jumped nearly as much as Celebrity.

At least the prices at Ba Ba Bare Ba have not changed:D

Archived