Big Black Dick

shergar1

Somebody has asked me to bring back this type of Rum.They said you can get it one of the Islands.I am stopping in Cayman, Ocho, Cozumel.I really don't want to go asking for this, are they pulling an April fools joke?

There is a store called "Big Black Dick" in the Caymans that dont only sell Rum but hot sauces, caps, t shirts etc...Its located in the general shopping area. You wont miss it cause theres signs all over and if you cant read, just look for the black pirate with a bird on his shoulder ;) Have fun!

Somebody has asked me to bring back this type of Rum.They said you can get it one of the Islands.I am stopping in Cayman, Ocho, Cozumel.I really don't want to go asking for this, are they pulling an April fools joke?

You can get in on Grand Cayman. They have a store.:D

It is also the cheapest place to buy liquor in Cayman. I found my Appleton Dark Rum there for $2 cheaper than Jamaica. I paid $7 a litre at BBD's. There are several around town so you won't have any trouble find it.

This may have changed . . . but a year ago when we were in Grand Caymans, you were not allowed to carry the liquor on board. You needed to order it, and then the store delivered it to the ship---it is some kind of regulation that applies to all liquor in the Caymans. There was a cutoff time where you couldn't order after a certain time----we missed it because we waited until after our excursion to go shopping. You may want to purchase your rum first thing so you don't run into a similar problem.

For those of you that like to get hot sauce from different countries in the Caribbean, I loved this brand. I thought it was going to be fiery hot BUT it wasn't(at least to me) and tasted good. If you get to go to Belize there is a habanero sauce produced by Marie Sharp's. To me this is some HOT(fiery hot) stuff. Again tastes good.

JDR

This may have changed . . . but a year ago when we were in Grand Caymans, you were not allowed to carry the liquor on board. You needed to order it, and then the store delivered it to the ship---it is some kind of regulation that applies to all liquor in the Caymans. There was a cutoff time where you couldn't order after a certain time----we missed it because we waited until after our excursion to go shopping. You may want to purchase your rum first thing so you don't run into a similar problem.

They do this because the liquor is sold duty free. It only applies to cruise ship passengers and by them shipping it back to a ship it ensures only cruise passengers buy at the duty free prices. Cayman residents have to pay a much steeper price if they want to imbibe on Big Black Dick rum or any other liquor for that matter.

Is BBD rum good? I would love to bring some home for my neighbors as a joke but is the rum itself a joke or is it actually tasty?

Thanks,

A:D

We brought some back from our stay in GC. Everyone got a good laugh. Although we haven't tried ours...it is supposed to be pretty good.

My husband was quite embarassed while carrying a box. He always made sure that he had his jacket draped over the box. We laughed about this all the way home. While we were in our airport, we saw a man toting his box of Big Black Dick...and my son pointed, and said..."Look, he has Big Black Dick, also." It was quite funny...but I think next time, we'll stick with Tortuga Rum. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Archived