Webster says jeans are slacks

I find it hard to believe that the reason some people wear "Jeans" in the dining room is because they read Webster's before they left for their cruise.

But, that is just my opinion.

My Webster also states that "Jeans" cloth is used especially for sportswear and work clothes.

So, your reasoning on why people wear "Jeans" to the dining room just does not make much sense to me. Sorry.:o

JMHO

Could the crew who buries the dead horses come in to work ASAP. Thank you! ;)

I hope Webster is not at my table. I don't even wear "clothing"...

I wear apparel (expertly tailored at my local haberdashery)

Thank you for your support.

Just responding to thread from Splendour where OP seemed surprised to see lots of jeans. These poor folks have no clue they are being frowned upon for their attire.:confused:

I'd bet those poor people could care less what anybody thinks.

My name is Webster and for what it is worth, this needs some clarification -- from my perspective at least. Jeans are trousers, as are any "long pants" other than athletic wear. However, if there is too much "slack" in your jeans, you are not wearing them right.

DSW

On my first Princess cruise evening at dinner at my table, our dining companion exclaimed, " I'm wearing jeans and my suspenders on formal night and I'll be damned if I let someone try and stop me from coming in!"

We went to "free style" the next night, I don't have a problem with the clothes, it was the attitude........... I always think, If you agree to play the game, play by the rules..........NO?

Webster says jeans are slacks

Perhaps we are seeing people in the dining room in jeans because they haven't read this board. Webster's defines "slacks as trousers"for informal or casual wear and "jeans as trousers"made of a sturdy twilled cloth.:cool:

Logically unsound reasoning. The fact that jeans are trousers and slacks are trousers does not mean that jeans are slacks - if it did it would mean that since my wife is a woman and Angelina Jolie is a woman that my wife is Angelina Jolie. Alas, not the case.:)

Logically unsound reasoning. The fact that jeans are trousers and slacks are trousers does not mean that jeans are slacks - if it did it would mean that since my wife is a woman and Angelina Jolie is a woman that my wife is Angelina Jolie. Alas, not the case.:)

Alas for who? Your wife, Angelina, you......the possibilities are many. :D

Let me say that our family went our of our way to buy cocktail dresses and formal wear for our upcoming cruise.

That being said, there is NO way I would let the fact that someone else is wearing jeans bother me. It is obviously NOT bothering them.

To care is only to diminish even a moment of my own vacation. Not going to happen!!

Yes, this known as a syllogism.......and an invalid one, at that.

Anyway, since I love a dead horse as much as the next guy..........or Alexis............or Patrick............. here's my response to the OP:

Webster is dead, and so is many people's sense of decorum, alas.

Perhaps we are seeing people in the dining room in jeans because they haven't read this board. Webster's defines "slacks as trousers"for informal or casual wear and "jeans as trousers"made of a sturdy twilled cloth.:cool:

Hmm...Maybe they should cruise with Webster.

Yes, this known as a syllogism.......and an invalid one, at that.

Anyway, since I love a dead horse as much as the next guy..........or Alexis............or Patrick............. here's my response to the OP:

Webster is dead, and so is many people's sense of decorum, alas.

AH, I see you got my message. I hope you brought your shovel.

"Could the crew who buries the dead horses come in to work ASAP. Thank you!" ;)

It is rare to go out, even to a nice place anymore, and see people dressed in what should be considered appropriate. Recently here in Houston, some young men went to a local bar, the bouncer at the door informed them they were not dressed appropriately and asked them to leave and change clothes if they wished to enter the bar, they left, came back a short time later and shot the bouncer, this is the type of attitude we are breeding in the young people by letting them dress anyway they choose and by not setting an example in our own appearances. I thank God I am married to a man that would prefer to put on a pair of dress slacks and a nice silk button down shirt, wear dress shoes and will not go out of the house without looking his best. He only owns 2 pair of jeans and they are both black. He seldom wears them.

still cant understand why this is a debate all the time.. or why we really care what others do. I dress nice, even in my everyday life, and you will seldom, maybe a couple times a year see me in jeans, so thus I would not wear them on a cruise. Some folks dont like dressing up, no skin off my back.

This is from the RCCL.com website..

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Personally I wish they enforced the dress code again. Stop all the debate over this issue, because really is it that big of a deal if folks dont want to dress up a bit and look their best?

It is rare to go out, even to a nice place anymore, and see people dressed in what should be considered appropriate. Recently here in Houston, some young men went to a local bar, the bouncer at the door informed them they were not dressed appropriately and asked them to leave and change clothes if they wished to enter the bar, they left, came back a short time later and shot the bouncer, this is the type of attitude we are breeding in the young people by letting them dress anyway they choose and by not setting an example in our own appearances. I thank God I am married to a man that would prefer to put on a pair of dress slacks and a nice silk button down shirt, wear dress shoes and will not go out of the house without looking his best. He only owns 2 pair of jeans and they are both black. He seldom wears them.

still cant understand why this is a debate all the time.. or why we really care what others do. I dress nice, even in my everyday life, and you will seldom, maybe a couple times a year see me in jeans, so thus I would not wear them on a cruise. Some folks dont like dressing up, no skin off my back.

This is from the RCCL.com website..

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Personally I wish they enforced the dress code again. Stop all the debate over this issue, because really is it that big of a deal if folks dont want to dress up a bit and look their best?

If they would change the word "suggested" to "required" it would end a lot of the debate.

Recently here in Houston, some young men went to a local bar, the bouncer at the door informed them they were not dressed appropriately and asked them to leave and change clothes if they wished to enter the bar, they left, came back a short time later and shot the bouncer, this is the type of attitude we are breeding in the young people by letting them dress anyway they choose and by not setting an example in our own appearances. ?

Oh please, forcing people to wear what you consider appropriate clothing is harldy the answer to senseless crimes like this.

I don't care what people wear and I dress up every evening. You can wear a bright orange sport coat or dress with purple leggins and blue bee hive hair do and be wearing the suggested attire even though you look more like a circus clown then someone who should be on a cruise. So basically my view is it doesn't matter what type of attire you wear my dinner will be the same.

I have never worn jeans to the dining room....but this time I am going to - ready or not here I come.;)

If it bothers anyone...take a deep breath and thank God that you don't have any real problems. If you did you wouldn't have time to worry about which slacks YOU consider appropriate.

RCL has spoken and jeans are acceptable on non formal nights.

Archived