Handicapped Help!

NINAVMD

Hello everyone. I just booked a handicapped room for a cruise two months away. I currently have a broken ankle and can't walk and get around in a wheel chair with the assistance of my husband. However, not knowing what will happen in two months I booked a Handicapped room. What if in two months I will not need the handicapped room? Will I have problems with boarding? I dont want anyone to give me a hard time. Right now I am in a wheel-chair and can't get around without it. What are NCL policies? Any past experiences? Will they try to switch me to a different room? HOw does it work? I appreciate all your comments. Thank you so much.

No one at NCL will care....but people here do, as someone who needs it may be unable to cruise due to lack of accessible rooms. As you near your cruise, and find that you don't need the accessible room, contact NCL yourself and offer to exchange for a regular room if someone needs your room. You might even be able to get an upgrade. If you are on crutches, you can still use a regular room.

I am a nurse and the Mrs a Physical Therapist (I am also a psychologist) I be retired!!!!

I would suggest that you may still be a bit "unstable" with your gait (how you walk) and just carry a cane if so, I just respect your honestly and concerns.

Joe "Doc"

On other boards, the op said even if she didn't need the HC cabin, she didn't want to have NCL move her to another cabin because she didn't want to lose the nicer and larger cabin. If you don't need it, then you might want to call NCL and see if any HC person's are on a waiting list for an HC cabin, and then offer to move.

No one at NCL will care....but people here do, as someone who needs it may be unable to cruise due to lack of accessible rooms. As you near your cruise, and find that you don't need the accessible room, contact NCL yourself and offer to exchange for a regular room if someone needs your room. You might even be able to get an upgrade. If you are on crutches, you can still use a regular room.

Excellent response! :)

What too many people don't realize is that the entryway width of the cabin door is a critical factor. Many of us cannot stand at all and therefore require the larger door or we can't cruise on that ship at all. It's not a matter of a "nicer" or "bigger" cabin - it is entry and ability to use the bathroom.

If someone can stand, or walk a little, and it's a ship with a limited number of accessible cabins, that person should consider whether they REALLY need it.

When I try to book a cruise, I have to go when I can get an accessible cabin. It may not be when or where I want, just what I can GET. Yet I often see people who have those cabins who do walk and may or may not really rely on the wheelchair.

Archived