Daysail - New Horizons

wirefoxpup

I've read many good reviews about the New Horizons powerboat trip to the BVI's since I've been researching for our upcoming vacation to St John but I'm not familiar with the daysail although I've seen the website. Hopefully someone else here can give you some feedback. You may want to post on the website below or you could do a search there for "New Horizons". Most of the posts that will come up are for the powerboat trip but I'm sure there are a few for the daysail.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g147400-i171-U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

Ding! Ding! Ding! I really think you've picked a winner in New Horizons. Not only do they put on a great day sail, they've been around for years under the same management and that says someting right there. It's a real nice schooner with plenty of room for spreading out and a decent amount of shade. We have a timeshare at Sapphire Beach where they work from, and we've always enjoyed watching them prepare and load up every morning. The other reply mentions the power boat trip they do to BVI (Virgin Gorda and The Baths) which is parked right next to the sloop. Too long of a trip to even consider if on a cruise. Technically possible, but not a moment to spare to get you back to the ship on time. Their website is http://www.newhorizons.daysails.com. Not sure if this is available via RCi or if youplan to book independently, but this is one outfit I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to book on my own and probably save a few bucks. Don't forget the taxi though, which will be something like $6-8/person each way. Any other questions, just holler.

I talked to new horizons (holly) earlier today, if you plan on doing a full day sail they start boarding at 9 and leave at 9:30. They also offered an internet discount and had reduced prices for kids under 12. We did not book due to our port time arrival. I have inquired with some other lines and I am still waiting for replies.

I just returned from a trip with New Horizons last week. I took the all day sailing trip out of Sapphire Beach Resort with approximately 26 people, a full load. We loaded around 9:15am and returned around 4 pm. We sailed for about an hour to St. John, snorkeled for an hour in a beautiful cove called Honeymoon Cove. I saw a nurse shark (yikes!!!) a small barracuda, and lots of beautiful fish and coral etc. We then got back on the boat, and had a hot lunch with dessert. The blenderized alcohol drinks kept coming as well as beer or soft drinks. The staff was friendly and made sure we had enough to eat and drink. Then we sailed to another cove for another hour of snorkeling, this time saw a huge sea turtle and a great reef with loads of fish. All you need to bring is sunscreen, towel and sunglasses, they provide the snorkeling gear. The internet price is $88 for adults, but if you pay cash, it is $5 off, or $83. They expect and deserve a tip, split between the three crew members. It is a good value and a great way to see the Virgin Islands the natural way (no motor, just peaceful and quite sailing). I highly recommend it. I already have forgotten the price for the taxi, but I think it was $7 or 8. Dont let the taxi drop you off at their street address in Red Hook Plaza as mine did, go to the Sapphire Beach Resort.

Fantastic! This is what I was hoping to hear. Did the boat seem crowded with 24ppl? We get into port at 7am, so should have plenty of time. Can you tell me if they had floats for the water? Also, did you anchor close to a beach that you can swim up to? Thanks much!

The boat did not seem crowded to me, as I enjoy the comraderie. If you want a more intimate trip, the sailing trips with a maximum of only 6 passengers probably offer more TLC. I sat on the side toward the front, and loved the breeze and sun. I don't know what you mean by floats, but they did provide and require we wear orange blow-up rings around the chest to keep us afloat, and allow them to see where we were. They did anchor close to shore and you could swim to the beach, but I was too busy snorkeling. The reef was fantastic. The only thing I would have liked, would be more commentary about where we were, history of the area, types of fish to expect, geography, or maybe a map of where we were. They pretty much kept us fed and drinking, but not too much education etc. I probably should have moved toward the back to ask a few questions, but I was too comfy up front! Enjoy your day.

Thanks for your thoughts! I booked them this weekend...waiting to get a confirm. I also enjoy a few extra people onboard, just in case..... By floats I meant like pool floats or "rafts" just to lie in the sun on. After reading their site again they do provide them if you want to just R & R in the water. But like you, we're all about snorkeling. My husband is ALWAYS the last one on the boat!! Thanks again for your comments. Will let you know how it turned out for us too (5/8/07)

• 3 months later...

Archived